Open Club  ·  18 members

The Auto Club

Your First Car

Tondas

Much like your first time in "other" activities, you never forget your first car.  Mine was a 68 VW Beetle.  Learned to drive a stick.  I remember the defrosters were so poor in those Beetles that I had to scrape the inside of the windshield many times just to see.  It was good in the snow which was a bummer because at 17 years old, doing donuts were tough.  Must be the engine over the back wheels.  And there was a distinctive sound a Beetle made that you could tell one was coming just by the sound.  Good times.  Now I drive a Caddy.  When did I get so old?!

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 1

Mine was a bright yellow 1999 Mustang (I got it in 2007) with a bunch of aftermarket crap the dude before me had put on it. $3k got me a Boss Mustang with a stickshift, double glass mufflers, tinted windows, trunk full of subwoofers, fancy convertible/hiding entertainment system, custom pedals and .... a V6 engine. Yeah, I know. Kinda hilarious.

But you know what, for a 16 year old girl, it was the light of my life. I loved that car (named Sunny). I knew the minute I started driving it that something was wrong with the rear axle, but when I took it in I was told I was an idiot/imagining things/dumb young girl, so I put a few bags of play sand in the trunk to minimize the wiggling at highway speeds. Then one day, I was making a banal turn in the rain and the tail kicked loose, I overreacted and spun out wildly, jumped a curb, popped a front tire. Towed it in... "Hey, did you know your rear axle is all cracked? How the hell were you driving it before?" Thanks, *****. 

Still wiggled at 80+ and would probably spin out in wet grass but that car sure taught me a lot! It was great for bombing long flat country roads at 70 with the music blaring. I've only had Subaru Imprezas as daily drivers since. 

• Like (+1) 2

74 Chevy Camaro.  Canary yellow. Black interior. 5 spoke factory mag wheels and Dunlop raised white letter 60 series tires.

I beat the hell out of that poor car.

Paid $1000 for it.  After driving it hard for 2.5yrs it was rear ended while I was sitting at a red light.  Busted the frame on both sides.  Long story but the guy that hit me wouldn’t fill out an accident report and I had to file a complaint with NY DMV.  While the wheels of justice slowly turned I parted the car out and scrapped what was left.  Got about my $1000 back.  6 months later I finally got an $800 insurance check from the guy who hit me.

93 Toyota Supra twin turbo. White. Stick. Fast. Wound up flying around in her (Vikki) for 2 years until I rolled her twice then cartwheeled into a tree. I didn't get a scratch on me and my laptop on the passenger seat survived too but all was not for the best. I broke a pair of Oakley's that day. And Vikki, well let's just say that Vikki was laid to rest.