2020 Draft Rankings Not Soon Enough...

North Buffalo

This draft is loaded. I only skimmed this thread, so it couldv'e been already posted, but no knock on Holtz or Byfield, but i wouldn't be surprised if Lukas Raymond jumps up to 2nd by June.

Another interesting player who might go in the top-12 is Kaiden Guhle, Brendon's brother. Has 8 points (2+6) in 9 games so far this season for Prince Albert.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to see Sudbury play last week. Byfield is very good. I found him to be very fast for a big guy. He played PP and PK and checked well in his own end. 

He is the best player on his team and one of the best in the OHL at 17.

Edited by French Collection

So typically I would fade Byfield a little because he is bigger and stronger than his competition and we see that once that evens out in the pro's the player might not be as effective. With Byfield however I am doing the opposite, I think in the pros that size is going to perfectly translate and allow him to be an animal down low mostly due to his skating. His skills are what make him successful and his size compliments that. Also he was born in August which means he is a late birthday for his age group. He's unreal. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

• 5 weeks later...

https://dobberprospects.com/2020-nhl-draft-fantasy-rankings/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The following is a consensus ranking by all ten contributing writers and some comments on each player. The criteria for the rankings is for points only keeper leagues but some multi category comments are found throughout as well

https://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2019/11/preliminary-mediascout-top-10-for-2020.html?m=1

We have a candidate for first overall in Quinton Byfield, who swept all first places votes in the poll. We have three other players who are candidates to be taken inside the Top 10 (Drysdale, Perfetti, and Rossi). And we have a handful of other players who look like potential first round picks. This group has star talent but also great depth.

For those unfamiliar with how this works, I poll many of the OHL's brightest minds; those who cover the league incredibly well and know the OHL inside, and out. These contributors supply me with their top 10 available players from the OHL, in addition to some comments. I then put it all together and provide you with a cumulative list. Call it "the consensus."

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a hockey scout by any means, just a fan who loves to watch too much hockey, but beside Lafreniere, i think Lucas Raymond is the next best player in this draft, and thats not a knock on Byfield or Holtz. I think Raymond has super star potential. The Swedish Patrick Kane.

Byfield not looking amazing at the WJC is good news for teams that may not be drafting 1st or 2nd. Teams and Scouts put way too much emphasis on this small tourney. I pray to god if the Sabres have a chance at Byfield that are smartest enough to recognize how young he is for his draft class. That said there is a ton of talent at forward and Holtz, Raymond, Lafreniere etc... are all names to be familiar with depending on where we end up. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Byfield not looking amazing at the WJC is good news for teams that may not be drafting 1st or 2nd. Teams and Scouts put way too much emphasis on this small tourney. I pray to god if the Sabres have a chance at Byfield that are smartest enough to recognize how young he is for his draft class. That said there is a ton of talent at forward and Holtz, Raymond, Lafreniere etc... are all names to be familiar with depending on where we end up. 

I firmly believe this.  Having a good tournament is nice and it is good to see how guys do against their elite peers, but the larger body of work is more important.

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

unfortunately, its looking like the Sabres only hope to get the 2C we desperately need is by drafting in the top 5 of the draft this year.

It will suck having to watch the next 41 games but the only way I see out of this mess is by having Cousins and a top 3/5 pick come in next season. I'm still not in tank mode but will be in a month. no more drafting 8th overall.. Make playoffs push or top 5.

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

There is a lot of forward talent in this draft. I’ve watched Byfield live a few times and I love his game.

His performance at the WJHC is meh, but many 17 year olds do that. He will be fine and I would take him in a heartbeat.

He could be back there next year and dominate.

Marco Rossi is becoming a bit of favorite of mine.

Yes, he is 5’9", but he is pretty solid with a low center of gravity. Plus, he is pretty tenacious and plays a notable 2-way game.

He isn’t blazing fast, but he definitely isn’t slow and his short area acceleration looks good.

I just see a guy who, while on the small side, plays a 200 ft game, has very good hockey IQ, is a battler, and can be an absolutely dominant on the puck playmaker.

He is absolutely lighting up the OHL.

Edited by Curt

Getting to the point when the draft rankings aren’t that early anymore.  Here is a mock draft from sporting news 

sabres hold the 8th pick.   (Sounds familiar)

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-mock-draft-2020-ottawa-senators-select-phenoms-alexis-lafreniere-marco-rossi-la-kings-get-goalie-of-future/10oiwozpuylo61xqv7m5wyztdd

My instinct in this draft is to find the best scorer available to us when we draft.  Right now we would likely draft around 8-12.  Wisconsin’s Dylan’s Holloway is interesting. I’m also interested in Will Cuylle at Windsor.  He is also a May birthday.  On pace to have 30+ Goals in the OHL as a 17 year old.

Sportsnet rankings

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-january/

i see it being a very strong top 9 

for the sabres, get me a serious run and the playoffs first and foremost.  If they can’t do that, get me one of the top 9.  Id lean towards centres until that 2C is legitimately filled.

my early guess is only Lafrenière plays in NHL next season 

Edited by Crusader1969

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.