2020 Draft Rankings Not Soon Enough...

North Buffalo

36 minutes ago, French Collection said:

SI mock draft.

Askarov to Ottawa at 5.

Sabres taking Drysdale while Rossi was available. I hope not

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/2020-first-round-mock-draft

Although I would be a little disappointed at passing on Rossi, I honestly wouldn’t be furious if Drysdale or Sanderson is the pick at #8.  They are both worthy of being taken in that range.

However, Buffalo REALLY needs to get some forward talent into the prospect pool.  Somehow, Someway, Sometime soon.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

@rakish,<snip>

I'll put out my draft board soon, me and @LGR4GM have been talking about podcasting our thoughts on the rest of the draft, but he seems to be too busy.

My model does OK, but with pick224.com, it helps having better data (like EV scoring), but I can't really jam the info in pick224 into my model. So I'm in a transition year.

Pick 8 I covered north of here, or north on So 8, I forget. I have Rossi at 5th for the decade, Byfield 7th, Jarvis 11th, Stutzle 18(but in a league no one comes out of, so what do I know?), Perfetti 21, Lafreniere 23,  Holtz 30, so the top of my board obviously looks like Rossi, Jarvis, Perfetti

In between I toss in a few guys I like who shouldn't be there at 38, but why not. Grans, Reichel, Greig. I'll probably add a couple more.

Pick 38 more comes from pick224. What I'm looking for is someone who is used in a very poor way, and those two are Colangelo and Finley. Neither got PP time, probably because they look like big dorky guys, which is of course a feature, not a bug. After those 2 I have Jarvartie, who also didn't get much powerplay time, but it's hard to value Mestis players.

I don't think the Sabres have a 3rd, maybe someone elses? I don't remember. But after 38 I'm looking for players that are normally undervalued. I talk about this in the sleepers post over in HFB https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2020-sleepers.2764405/     I think there are 3 different posts of mine in that thread.

So if you read through that, I like overage defensemen, Cotten (who I have at 30th for the decade among 18 year old defensemen), Uens (49). For 19 year olds, I like Wilsby (49th for decade among 19 year olds.)

Then a tiny guy who is hopefully there round 4 or 5, this year it's Florian Elias.

After that it's just filling in a few guys that are a little less than these guys.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

SI mock draft.

Askarov to Ottawa at 5.

Sabres taking Drysdale while Rossi was available. I hope not

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/2020-first-round-mock-draft

I see a ton of people saying Rossi won’t be around at 8 but I can see it easily.  Rossi has been my guy and the one I hope they take.  If both Drysdale and Rossi are there at 8 that would be something.  I would be disappointed if they passed on Rossi but not furious if the pick is Drysdale.

10 hours ago, rakish said:

I'll put out my draft board soon, me and @LGR4GM have been talking about podcasting our thoughts on the rest of the draft, but he seems to be too busy.

My model does OK, but with pick224.com, it helps having better data (like EV scoring), but I can't really jam the info in pick224 into my model. So I'm in a transition year.

Pick 8 I covered north of here, or north on So 8, I forget. I have Rossi at 5th for the decade, Byfield 7th, Jarvis 11th, Stutzle 18(but in a league no one comes out of, so what do I know?), Perfetti 21, Lafreniere 23,  Holtz 30, so the top of my board obviously looks like Rossi, Jarvis, Perfetti

In between I toss in a few guys I like who shouldn't be there at 38, but why not. Grans, Reichel, Greig. I'll probably add a couple more.

Pick 38 more comes from pick224. What I'm looking for is someone who is used in a very poor way, and those two are Colangelo and Finley. Neither got PP time, probably because they look like big dorky guys, which is of course a feature, not a bug. After those 2 I have Jarvartie, who also didn't get much powerplay time, but it's hard to value Mestis players.

I don't think the Sabres have a 3rd, maybe someone elses? I don't remember. But after 38 I'm looking for players that are normally undervalued. I talk about this in the sleepers post over in HFB https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2020-sleepers.2764405/     I think there are 3 different posts of mine in that thread.

So if you read through that, I like overage defensemen, Cotten (who I have at 30th for the decade among 18 year old defensemen), Uens (49). For 19 year olds, I like Wilsby (49th for decade among 19 year olds.)

Then a tiny guy who is hopefully there round 4 or 5, this year it's Florian Elias.

After that it's just filling in a few guys that are a little less than these guys.

Sorry, I could do a podcast but I don't feel confident talking about the players at 38. I have only had time to look at few as my job has been rather hectic and will only become more so in the next few weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I like Colangelo and Amirov and Tullio at 38. 

Tristen Robins is a player to watch although I like him a lot, I doubt he would go in the 2nd round. 

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sounds like Amirov is getting some love in the teens.

Yeah, pretty doubtful that Amirov will be there past 25.  I like him a lot.  More than some guys consistently ranked in the 5-15 range.

The all-important if-I-still-played-EA-NHL-series-games and wanted to draft the coolest names to hear on calls...  "Loof passes to Loof. To Loof. To Loof. Loof scores!"

Rodion Amirov, Raivis Ansons, Jeremie Biakabutuka, Noah Boyko, Ole Julian Bjorgvik-Holm, Kyle Crnkovic, Eemil Erholtz, Gunnarwolf Fontaine, Mans Forfsjall, Petr Hasek, Marat Khusnutdinov, Ignat Kokhanin, Leo Loof, Linus Loof, Vittorio Mancini, Zion Nybeck, Jaromir Pytlik, Rhett Rhinehart, Ronan Seeley, Hugo Styf, Austen Swankler, Luke Tuch, Eemil Viro, Sander Vold Engebraten, Zayde Wisdom, Connor Zary

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/1/2020 at 4:53 PM, Thorny said:

I'm totally here for the Jets taking Holtz 😆

I'm okay with Chevy's pick no matter who it is.

He has one of the best 1st round records since he has become GM.

Scheif Ehlers Connor Laine Morrissey Trouba Roslovic Heinola.

The jury is still out on Vesalainen (24) and Stanley (18) but I don't think they pan out as well as expected.

Not too many have drafted as well in the 1st round as Chevy has.

6 hours ago, Ducky said:

The jury is still out on Vesalainen (24) and Stanley (18) but I don't think they pan out as well as expected.

He's been good at finding talent definitely, certainly didn't manage to keep a balanced system, though. They are quite weak at the most important position. Holtz would be a mistake considering there should be close talent on the board at a much more important position of need for the Jets. I agree with BPA in general but there are obvious exceptions when the talent is comparable. The Jets aren't just weak at C they are stacked at wing. 

If they take Holtz I assume Laine is gone. I'm not much a fan of selecting a player that necessitates a trade, and that certainly would. They literally have their top 6 wings locked in already. None of Connor, Ehlers, Laine, or Wheeler fits/is going to play on a lower line. Obviously they wouldn't need to make the move right way, but I think there'd have to be one coming. 

They are going to have a chance to select a very good centre, I'd be pretty darn surprised if they took a winger. Could see them going D, though. 

- - - 

Just kinda the way I see it. If your argument is simply "I don't care who it is because I've liked his track record", all power to you - not going to be much of a discussion, then, though. 

Edit - I wouldn't list Laine as support for a good drafting record. It's not a fault, he was the consensus guy, but there were better players drafted after him. Roslovic also doesn't move the needle. Maybe you were just listing every pick, though. 

Edited by Thorny

7 hours ago, Ducky said:

Logan Stanley was an awful pick. 

But your point is good, Winnipeg hits in the first. 

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

All the more reason for them to select a player in a position of great need. They'd be likely to fill it. 

I don't doubt they'd select a good winger if they select a winger, but at some point there's more to it than just accumulation of talent. Roster construction factors in - Chevy has failed to draft/supplement their prospect system with centres (they have had a low-ranked prospect pool for some time, now) and he's failed to trade for options other than short term solutions, costing them high draft picks (1st rounders) at several deadlines as they attempt the address 2C. 

They had the one stand out season before losing to Vegas in 4 straight (after winning the first game), in the conference finals, and haven't amounted to much of anything aside from that - perhaps his drafting acumen is being slightly over rated at this point - less in terms of net-talent and more in terms of drafting as a supplement to team building. They've missed the playoffs 6 of 9 years since moving to Winnipeg, and have only won a playoff round in 1 season of 9. It's good compared to Buffalo, but who isn't. 

They should select a centreman. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

He's been good at finding talent definitely, certainly didn't manage to keep a balanced system, though. They are quite weak at the most important position. Holtz would be a mistake considering there should be close talent on the board at a much more important position of need for the Jets. I agree with BPA in general but there are obvious exceptions when the talent is comparable. The Jets aren't just weak at C they are stacked at wing. 

If they take Holtz I assume Laine is gone. I'm not much a fan of selecting a player that necessitates a trade, and that certainly would. They literally have their top 6 wings locked in already. None of Connor, Ehlers, Laine, or Wheeler fits/is going to play on a lower line. Obviously they wouldn't need to make the move right way, but I think there'd have to be one coming. 

They are going to have a chance to select a very good centre, I'd be pretty darn surprised if they took a winger. Could see them going D, though. 

- - - 

Just kinda the way I see it. If your argument is simply "I don't care who it is because I've liked his track record", all power to you - not going to be much of a discussion, then, though. 

Edit - I wouldn't list Laine as support for a good drafting record. It's not a fault, he was the consensus guy, but there were better players drafted after him. Roslovic also doesn't move the needle. Maybe you were just listing every pick, though. 

I was listing every pick.

Laine was a no brainer at the draft.

Lost our 2C to injury last year...I think he played 7 games.

You're right, not much to discuss. I trust Chevy's judgement on not only drafting but how to build a team as well. I put him in the top 5 GMs in the league considering the market he is in. I'd imagine he'd be GM of the year for years if he were GM of the Rangers or TB.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It was also his 2nd pick in that round. 

I don't think Vesalainen has what it takes either but I guess the jury is still out.

Edited by Ducky

20 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I was listing every pick.

Laine was a no brainer at the draft.

Lost our 2C to injury last year...I think he played 7 games.

You're right, not much to discuss. I trust Chevy's judgement on not only drafting but how to build a team as well. I put him in the top 5 GMs in the league considering the market he is in. I'd imagine he'd be GM of the year for years if he were GM of the Rangers or TB.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh they've missed the playoffs 6 of 9 years (including in a conference where 8 of 14 made it, some of those years), and have only won 2 playoff series more than the lowly Sabres in that same time frame, who have fired multiple GMs. Top 5 GM? You are homering out! 

The Sabres have the same "market issues" as the Jets, difficulty attracting free agents, perceived poor city to go to...I never use that as an excuse, especially in a salary cap world. You are *literally* touting him as an exceptional drafter, but that's not enough to make up the difference? Weak. 

You know as well as anyone Little is not a reasonable option anymore at 2C. You know the Jets have made it public they are literally after a 2C. You honestly look and talk about the Sabres in such an objective, rational, generally accurate way so the contrast with how you present the Jets is a bit of a gag. 

Edited by Thorny

11 minutes ago, SJSabres Fan said:

How far up the draft would Reinhardt, Risto, #8 and a prospect not named Cozens get us?  Would the talent up there be worth it?

I would think that could theoretically get you to #1 if the Rangers could clear the cap space to do it.  I don’t think it would be worth it though.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Thorny said:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh they've missed the playoffs 6 of 9 years (including in a conference where 8 of 14 made it, some of those years), and have only won 2 playoff series more than the lowly Sabres in that same time frame, who have fired multiple GMs. Top 5 GM? You are homering out! 

The Sabres have the same "market issues" as the Jets, difficulty attracting free agents, perceived poor city to go to...I never use that as an excuse, especially in a salary cap world. You are *literally* touting him as an exceptional drafter, but that's not enough to make up the difference? Weak. 

You know as well as anyone Little is not a reasonable option anymore at 2C. You know the Jets have made it public they are literally after a 2C. You honestly look and talk about the Sabres in such an objective, rational, generally accurate way so the contrast with how you present the Jets is a bit of a gag. 

Little had 5 points in 7 games before his injury so ya, he was a legit 2C. Lets' not forget the Jets lost the right side of their D and the guy that was playing 2LHD (4 out of top 5 starting D) before this last season started.

Atlanta had zero in the cupboards...

Postma and Chiarot are the only players not already on the team that made the NHL and Postma barely.

The team was regarded as a legitimate contender a couple of years ago so considering what he did, Chevy, in my books, is a top 5 GM in the league.

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

Little had 5 points in 7 games before his injury so ya, he was a legit 2C. Lets' not forget the Jets lost the right side of their D and the guy that was playing 2LHD (4 out of top 5 starting D) before this last season started.

Atlanta had zero in the cupboards...

Postma and Chiarot are the only players not already on the team that made the NHL and Postma barely.

The team was regarded as a legitimate contender a couple of years ago so considering what he did, Chevy, in my books, is a top 5 GM in the league.

Connor Sheary had 2 goals in the first game of the year, so ya he was a legit 1W. Basically, that's not a good enough sample size to say if he would be a good 2C or not. Larsson had a couple similar stretches, but I wouldn't want him as my 2C.

11 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Connor Sheary had 2 goals in the first game of the year, so ya he was a legit 1W. Basically, that's not a good enough sample size to say if he would be a good 2C or not. Larsson had a couple similar stretches, but I wouldn't want him as my 2C.

Little had been the 1C or 2C since the Jets got here. I think his loss is very understated. Everyone talks about losing Buff and Trouba but what about losing your 2C? The Jets have nobody to step in at 2C and nobody in the system that is anywhere ready to play in the bigs.

Edited by Ducky

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.