2020 Draft Rankings Not Soon Enough...

North Buffalo

This really should go here: SEAL Adjusted Scoring and NHL Prospects

https://hockey-graphs.com/2016/06/15/seal-adjusted-scoring-and-why-it-matters-for-prospects/

And this which talks about the Reinhart draft. Again, these are tools not answers. Do not look at these and say, oh so clearly this guy thought Bennet should have been drafted first. That is not what is happening. It is just another piece of the drafting puzzle. This is why I think looking at Cohort also matters. So do scouts for the eye test crowd. It all has to come together. 

http://thats-offside.blogspot.com/2014/06/adjusting-scoring-rate-for-age-in-chl.html

On 3/4/2020 at 7:16 AM, CallawaySabres said:

I think the Sabres need to finish in the bottom 6 because I'm sure they won't have any Lottery luck.......which will push them down to seven.

It's going to be painful waiting for  cozens one more year but I guess it is what it is. 

Top 8 is where its at. Any of those slots you are getting a sure-fire NHL prospect

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Top 8 is where its at. Any of those slots you are getting a sure-fire NHL prospect

Lafrenierre, Byfield, Rossi, Stutzle, Raymond, Holtz, Lundell, Perfetti

Thats a really nice, and diverse, group of forward prospects.

On 3/5/2020 at 4:41 PM, Curt said:

Lafrenierre, Byfield, Rossi, Stutzle, Raymond, Holtz, Lundell, Perfetti

Thats a really nice, and diverse, group of forward prospects.

I know a lot of people will disagree here but Drydale is also in the equation.   Especially, If  you believe he can have the type of offensive impact that Hughes and Makar have had.   

though , I might have him ranked only ahead of Lundell.  

3 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I know a lot of people will disagree here but Drydale is also in the equation.   Especially, If  you believe he can have the type of offensive impact that Hughes and Makar have had.   

though , I might have him ranked only ahead of Lundell.  

They can't draft a D man there.

Well, Botterill can't. He has not shown an ability to swap d depth for forward depth.

I watched Ottawa play today, their offense was in sync.

Rossi is small but stocky, kind of like Brad Marchand. He is quick and shifty, seems to prefer being a playmaker. I did not see a 200’ game, but the puck was in North Bay’s end for most of the game.

I was impressed by Quinn. He got the first two goals of the game, his 50th and 51st of the season. He is on a different line than Rossi but they are on PP1 together. He seems like your classic sniper. He’s got good size for a winger, 6’1 195. He was on PK1 and set up a beautiful short handed goal.

The Wingnutt Ranking:

Tier 1       
1    Lafrenière, Alexis       
    Tier 2       
2    Byfield, Quinton       
    Tier 3       
3    Raymond, Lucas       
4    Stutzle, Tim       
5    Drysdale, Jamie       
6    Holtz, Alexander       
7    Perfetti, Cole       
    Tier 4       
8    Lundell, Anton       
9    Rossi, Marco       
    Tier 5       
10    Holloway, Dylan       
11    Askarov, Yaroslav       
12    Gunler, Noel       
    Tier 6       
13    Zary, Connor       
14    Mercer, Dawson       
15    Amirov, Rodion       
16    Poirier, Jérémie       
17    Barron, Justin       
18    Mysak, Jan       
19    Bourque, Mavrik       
20    Sanderson, Jake       
21    Guhle, Kaiden       
22    Lapierre, Hendrix       
23    Perreault, Jacob       
    Tier 7       
24    Quinn, Jack       
25    Smilanic, Ty       
26    Nybeck, Zion       
27    Ponomaryov, Vasili       
28    Foudy, Jean-Luc       
29    Andrae, Emil       
30    Wallinder, William       
31    Hirvonen, Roni    

• Like (+1) 1

Here is a guy we have not talked enough about. He is the perfect center for a player like Skinner. His puck handling and skating are lovely. His shot needs work but he is just fun to watch. I give you Tim Stutzle. He is currently playing against men in the Deutsche Eishockey Liga (DEL). His on a good team and has played well. 34 points in 41 games, 27 of them assists. Just another guy to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Here is a guy we have not talked enough about. He is the perfect center for a player like Skinner. His puck handling and skating are lovely. His shot needs work but he is just fun to watch. I give you Tim Stutzle. He is currently playing against men in the Deutsche Eishockey Liga (DEL). His on a good team and has played well. 34 points in 41 games, 27 of them assists. Just another guy to watch. 

Agree and would love if the Sabres can get him they may have to get in the Top 3, also I would say Stutzle is the most 'NHL Ready' propsect in the 2020 Draft (Lafrienere aside), given that Tim has played with older players.

On 3/5/2020 at 10:38 AM, LGR4GM said:

This really should go here: SEAL Adjusted Scoring and NHL Prospects

https://hockey-graphs.com/2016/06/15/seal-adjusted-scoring-and-why-it-matters-for-prospects/

And this which talks about the Reinhart draft. Again, these are tools not answers. Do not look at these and say, oh so clearly this guy thought Bennet should have been drafted first. That is not what is happening. It is just another piece of the drafting puzzle. This is why I think looking at Cohort also matters. So do scouts for the eye test crowd. It all has to come together. 

http://thats-offside.blogspot.com/2014/06/adjusting-scoring-rate-for-age-in-chl.html

Statisticians showed a long-time back strong correlations that players who are a few months from whatever the age-cutoff is for a sports league/school system (Jan 1 or mid-summer) perform better overall than players slightly younger.  It was always thought due to their slight advantage of physical maturity led to them getting more coach attention than the others.  It's not surprising to think that 0.6 years of age can make a difference.  That leads one to consider:  does the NHL, OHL, NCAA, and the kids local youth organization use the same cut-off dates or not?  If the coaching attention difference is the root-cause, then varying start-dates will add noise to the metric.

I have a hard time believing the OHL is 'harder' than the NCAA.  Kids in the OHL are sheltered from men.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Speaking of DEL they just cancelled the remainder of their season 

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

I have a hard time believing the OHL is 'harder' than the NCAA.  Kids in the OHL are sheltered from men.

I think your mileage may vary on this from player to player.  I think that, in general, the CHL leagues may have more skilled players than NCAA D1, however, the players are not as physically mature.  Because of this, the CHL leagues may be “harder” for some players while the NCAA may be “harder” for others.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

The fact that this was started July of 2019 is hilariously depressing. @Randall Flagg I'm glad I didn't bet you on Botterill

Hey I started it after Botts picked a D with 2nd pick in the first knowing Sabres needed scoring and guys were there to be had...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.