2020 Draft Rankings Not Soon Enough...

North Buffalo

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m not not taking issue with BPA. I was contending the “if the Sabres are still looking for their 2C” wording. 

They’d be drafting Byfield because he’s BPA, not out of a desire to fill 2C in a few years. 

Honestly, they probably should still be looking for their 2C a year from now.  I doubt Mitts or Cozens will have proven that they can be a good 2C by then.  Until they actually have one, they should be on the lookout for one.  I’d rather they not wait 3 more years, then decide, “oh yeah we do actually need someone else because Mitts and Cozens aren’t it.”

If a team needs a 2C, they shouldn’t pass on Byfield.

Edited by Curt

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

Honestly, they probably should still be looking for their 2C a year from now.  I doubt Mitts or Cozens will have proven that they can be a good 2C by then.  Until they actually have one, they should be on the lookout for one.  I’d rather they not wait 3 more years, then decide, “oh yeah we do actually need someone else because Mitts and Cozens aren’t it.”

If a team needs a 2C, they shouldn’t pass on Byfield.

You don’t draft for need, it’s BPA. 

The Sabres needed a 2C yesterday. Yesteryear. If the plan is to fill the hole in a draft in a year from now with a player who can fill that role in 2 years from now at earliest, it’s a bad plan. They can’t be on that timeline.

The Sabres can’t afford to wait that long to address the position, that’s all I’m saying.

By all means draft this Byfield character if we are at the bottom again. It may seem like semantics to you but it would need to come from the mindset of “BPA” and not “how can we address our 2C hole”.  

Edited by Thorny

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You don’t draft for need, it’s BPA. 

The Sabres needed a 2C yesterday. Yesteryear. If the plan is to fill the hole in a draft in a year from now for a player who can fill that role in 2 years from now at earliest, it’s a bad plan. 

The Sabres can’t afford to wait that long to address the position, that’s all I’m saying. 

Well, if in July 2020 you need a 2C, it makes sense to draft a guy who has a decent chance of playing a competent 2C in 2020-21, with miles of upside from there.  I’m not advocating for the Sabres to wait until the 2020 draft and then attempt to draft Byfield, with that being the #1 plan for solving 2C, that would be kinda silly.  But if you find yourself at the draft and you need at good C........

Edited by Curt
Dummy

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Well, if in July 2020 you need a 2C, it makes sense to draft a guy who has a decent chance of playing a competent 2C in 2020-21, with miles of upside from there.  I’m not advocating for the Sabres to wait until the 2020 draft and then attempt to draft Byfield, with that being the #1 plan for solving 2C, that would be kinda silly.  But if you find yourself a the draft and you need at good C........

Then you draft BPA. That’s what I’ve been told. 

I doubt Byfield is going to be a competent 2C right out the gate. Even Jack arguably wasn’t, on a hypothetical playoff team, his rookie year, which is what the expectation should be for Buffalo next season. 

Maybe we’ll be lucky enough to draft at the very bottom and find out. Amirite?

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Then you draft BPA. That’s what I’ve been told. 

I doubt Byfield is going to be a competent 2C right out the gate. Even Jack arguably wasn’t, on a hypothetical playoff team, his rookie year, which is what the expectation should be for Buffalo next season. 

Maybe we’ll be lucky enough to draft at the very bottom and find out. Amirite?

If you need a C and Byfield is on the board, just call him BPA and draft him.  I really don’t care why, just draft him.  You need him.

I believe that NHL teams often do factor in need when they draft, in certain situations.  They always say the guy was their top rated guy, because what else are they going to say, really.

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

If you need a C and Byfield is on the board, just call him BPA and draft him.  I really don’t care why, just draft him.  You need him.

I believe that NHL teams often do factor in need when they draft, in certain situations.  They always say the guy was their top rated guy, because what else are they going to say, really.

Look, I’m just hoping that “need” doesn’t seem so great when we are sitting at the end of the season with a Mittelstadt who’s taken strides and a Cozens who tore up juniors looking primed for a mainstay role next season. 

There’s probably an issue if a year from now we aren’t looking at Eichel - Cozens - Mittelstadt as a very strong potential C core. 

Of *course* it’s a problem when I want to be optimistic about the longer term centre prospects of this team. Or because this is the draft thread is that the negative view, in this scenario? Dunno anymore. 

Edited by Thorny

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Look, I’m just hoping that “need” doesn’t seem so great when we are sitting at the end of the season with a Mittelstadt who’s taken strides and a Cozens who tore up juniors looking primed for a mainstay role next season. 

There’s probably an issue if a year from now we aren’t looking at Eichel - Cozens - Mittelstadt as a very strong potential C core. 

I’d rather draft Byfield and feel extremely confident that 2C is going to be taken care of long term (by someone), than pass on him (except maybe at 1 or 2 overall) and hope that one of Mitts/Cozens grows into it, feeling somewhat confident that they do.  

Of course I hope that they show well, but Mitts was legit bad last season and Cozens hasn’t played an NHL game yet.  If the plan is for someone to grow into the role, I would probably rather that someone be Byfield.  When there is a good, youngish NHL player at 2C, then I won’t consider it a need any longer.

Edited by Curt

Just now, Thorny said:

Hey, Botterill may agree with you, it certainly provides opportunity to extend the timeline. 

Also, I’d much rather not be in the position to draft Byfield at all, re: your first sentence. 

Uh, ok.  I already said that this wasn’t the optimal plan for 2C.  This whole conversation is about the hypothetical scenario of being there on draft day and needing a C.  I hope Buffalo acquires a great 2C tomorrow and it’s not a need on draft day 2020.  There I said it.

14 hours ago, Curt said:

I’m not saying that Cozens (or even Mitts) can’t be that 2C, but I also think Cozens could be a very good top-6 RW.  Also, if the opportunity is there to draft Byfield, outside of #1-2 overall, you should probably just do it, regardless of whether you have other prospects who may end up good enough to be your 2C someday.  Byfield is going to be a 6’5” 225lb power C who is also a great skater, great shot, young for his draft year, 12pts in his first 5 OHL games this season.  There is so much to like there, regardless of what other prospects a team has.  He is honestly a lot like an even better version of Cozens.

This is the part that matters, not the rest of it. You draft him because he is a massive imposing power forward, ridiculously young for his age group, and lighting up the OHL. You worry about where he slots in later and he could slot in as the 2c or Cozens could. They have elements to their games that are very similar. 

8 hours ago, Curt said:

I’d rather draft Byfield and feel extremely confident that 2C is going to be taken care of long term (by someone), than pass on him (except maybe at 1 or 2 overall) and hope that one of Mitts/Cozens grows into it, feeling somewhat confident that they do.  

Of course I hope that they show well, but Mitts was legit bad last season and Cozens hasn’t played an NHL game yet.  If the plan is for someone to grow into the role, I would probably rather that someone be Byfield.  When there is a good, youngish NHL player at 2C, then I won’t consider it a need any longer.

Stop for a second. So Mitts isn't good enough for 2c before this season gets played, fine. Cozens also isn't because he hasn't played yet and was sent back to juniors. You are completely dismissing their abilities to become a 2c because you would rather have Byfield. My issue is this assumes that Mitts can't become a 2c and that Cozens also cannot become a 2c so we have to draft Byfield. While I like Byfield a lot, that doesn't mean he will be BPA when we draft. What if Holtz is there and he has a better season? What if he looks better? You take him even though he is a winger. That said it is a long way off still. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Quinton Byfield is a great prospect. I think he will go 2nd overall right now but the season is young. Many players pegged for top 10 draft slots fade and some rise. We should watch Byfield in case but we shouldn't just focus on him. The top of this upcoming draft has some pretty solid talent. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Quinton Byfield is a great prospect. I think he will go 2nd overall right now but the season is young. Many players pegged for top 10 draft slots fade and some rise. We should watch Byfield in case but we shouldn't just focus on him. The top of this upcoming draft has some pretty solid talent. 

Best not to worry about where the sabres draft, before their season starts,  but to get to know the top 25 prospects.  

I’d say the odds are pretty good that they will be drafting in the top 7-8 again.  Unless someone steps up at the 2C or  the goaltending is vastly improved over last season.

i don’t want to discount a pick in the early 20s completely, just think it’s very unlikely. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

This is the part that matters, not the rest of it. You draft him because he is a massive imposing power forward, ridiculously young for his age group, and lighting up the OHL. You worry about where he slots in later and he could slot in as the 2c or Cozens could. They have elements to their games that are very similar. 

Stop for a second. So Mitts isn't good enough for 2c before this season gets played, fine. Cozens also isn't because he hasn't played yet and was sent back to juniors. You are completely dismissing their abilities to become a 2c because you would rather have Byfield. My issue is this assumes that Mitts can't become a 2c and that Cozens also cannot become a 2c so we have to draft Byfield. While I like Byfield a lot, that doesn't mean he will be BPA when we draft. What if Holtz is there and he has a better season? What if he looks better? You take him even though he is a winger. That said it is a long way off still. 

I’m not doing that.  They could all 3 end up being 2C quality players.  What I’m saying is that until someone on the NHL roster actually is, you still need a 2C.  I’m not comfortable letting the NHL team continue to go without an answer at 2C.  That position needs attention until someone actually proves that they are a good NHL 2C.  There is no such thing as having too many good C’s.

As you laid out though, it does depend on how things develop.  It wouldn’t be wise to pass on a vastly better prospect just to draft a C, but Byfield specially is going to be among the 3-4 best prospects and I doubt anyone outside of Lafreniere would be able to clearly separate themselves above him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’m not doing that.  They could all 3 end up being 2C quality players.  What I’m saying is that until someone on the NHL roster actually is, you still need a 2C.  I’m not comfortable letting the NHL team continue to go without an answer at 2C.  That position needs attention until someone actually proves that they are a good NHL 2C.  There is no such thing as having too many good C’s.

As you laid out though, it does depend on how things develop.  It wouldn’t be wise to pass on a vastly better prospect just to draft a C, but Byfield specially is going to be among the 3-4 best prospects and I doubt anyone outside of Lafreniere would be able to clearly separate themselves above him.

I personally don't think Byfield will be available where we draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Good to see all forwards and centers in the top 5

I’ll have to look again but I thought it was all wingers (except Byfield) at the top 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I personally don't think Byfield will be available where we draft. 

Definitely need lottery ball luck.  Hopefully moving way up the draft order to get a top 2 pick (if they miss the playoffs) 

• 2 weeks later...

Pronman with an early season addition. 

Lafrieneire and Byfield are in the top 2. 

Elite NHL Prospect

1. Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgarden-SHL

Jan. 23, 2002 | six-foot | 183 pounds

Holtz opened the season as a legit top-nine forward in the SHL as a 17-year-old, already scoring three goals. He has a very high skill level and projects to be an elite goal scorer at the pro level. He’s got the big shot, but he can dangle; he’s a great passer, and he skates well. He can pick corners and get to the dirty areas to score. He’s a very complete player and based on what I saw last season I think he could be an impact NHLer if he continues to develop well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.