A "smaller space" for RaKru with Sabres, but for how long?

PASabreFan

The Ralph Krueger Era in Buffalo could be a very interesting one.

"I was de facto owner of the club," Krueger explained. "There was a female owner who inherited it after her father’s death and she wasn’t experienced in sports and brought me in really to be her eyes, ears, but also I had a lot of responsibility to carry out the actions as if I was the owner of the team."

"It was so multi-dimensional and it’s nice for me now to be focused again in a smaller space, to be coaching, to be on the bench, and to have lots of games to enjoy."

In the future, Krueger also hopes to be an asset to PSE and the Pegulas in non-hockey matters, applying his leadership and Southampton experience to help grow the business.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/07/05/ralph-krueger-buffalo-sabres-southampton-english-premier-league-nhl-news-2019/

3 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

A hockey coach who meddles in non-hockey matters?

Lol

If this guy is the one that gives the owners the confidence to go hands off, I think PA might dance a jig.

And his excitement may be warranted.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

Huh? Terry is an owner who is on record saying that he watches "film" (video, whatever) with his teams' coaching staffs.

If you owned the Sabres wouldn’t you want to watch film with the experts you’ve hired? Seems like it would make one a smarter follower. 

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

If you owned the Sabres wouldn’t you want to watch film with the experts you’ve hired? Seems like it would make one a smarter follower. 

I'm not making a judgment one way or another. I'm responding to @Eleven saying that the Pegulas are hands-off when it comes to hockey ops.

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Huh? Terry is an owner who is on record saying that he watches "film" (video, whatever) with his teams' coaching staffs.

Tim Graham in The Athletic gave a detailed response to a question about their involvement with the actual teams' sporting operations.  It's about three or four paragraphs from a longer article. The short of it is:  They're not involved.  If the mods think I can post just that portion of the article, I'm happy to.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Tim Graham in The Athletic gave a detailed response to a question about their involvement with the actual teams' sporting operations.  It's about three or four paragraphs from a longer article. The short of it is:  They're not involved.  If the mods think I can post just that portion of the article, I'm happy to.

Said response claimed Terry has final say in personnel matters. Is that involvement?

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yes please.

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'd be interested to see the excerpt. OTOH, I'm more interested in what Terry's actually said in public on the subject.

Mind you, I don't imagine that he's on the level of, say, a Jerry Jones. But from what T. Pegula has said, it's evident that his fingers are in the pie. (Ew.)

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Said response claimed Terry has final say in personnel matters. Is that involvement?

All owners have final say.

And just to cut through the spin -- here is what he said exactly:

In fact, Terry Pegula has been increasingly hands-off over the years with both the Sabres and Bills. He hires executives to do those jobs and lets them work without meddling.

Pegula has final say over every personnel move; that is any owner’s prerogative. But insight from those who know insist Pegula provides Sabres GM Jason Botterill and Bills GM Brandon Beane all the latitude and resources they wish.

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Also, where's that quote from one of his kids who was gushing about how dad would identify free agent talent for the team to consider?

I had thought we were done debating whether Terry's involved in hockey ops. (Because he is.)

May need to post excerpts from our trail.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Also, where's that quote from one of his kids who was gushing about how dad would identify free agent talent for the team to consider?

I had thought we were done debating whether Terry's involved in hockey ops. (Because he is.)

I missed that one. I remember one of the Tweety birds letting it slip that Dad really liked Ehrhoff.

Pegula has final say over every personnel move; that is any owner’s prerogative. But insight from those who know insist Pegula provides Sabres GM Jason Botterill and Bills GM Brandon Beane all the latitude and resources they wish.

Providing resources and latitude doesn't mean he provides those without questions and input.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.