Sabres Signing Marcus Johansson 2 years 4.5 Million AAV

Brawndo

I would say that this signing puts me over the threshold bare minimum for being 'okay' with the big acquisition being a winger rather than a center. Not thrilled, but I'd watch with intrigue. This is under the assumption that there just isn't a reasonable avenue for a very good center this offseason. 

Man, I thought we were done with this issue, it's so painful to still be discussing it ?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Well, according to the skater tables at evolving-hockey, Mittelstadt had 884 minutes at evens and Sobotka had 820. Where are you seeing Sobotka had more? 

I was looking at ES TOI/per game on hockey reference.  Mitts played 8 games more than Sobotka, so that’s why he ended the season with a higher total.  Like I said in the other post though, they were so close that it doesn’t really matter.

Edited by Curt
I spell bad
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

One more guy ahead of Sobotka on the depth chart. That's all I need to hear. 

But who will take...  left-handed?... faceoffs? ?

Edit: Just mocking up lines... all those St. Louis Blues we acquired are outside of the top 12. It's all clouds under the planetary shield at this point, but darn it this latest roster would look good with a ROR-type on line 2.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Botterill moved O'Reilly, supposedly, for locker room stuff. I'm not saying it's everything, but on a younger team with little-to-no playoff experience...

Probably part of the Sheary decision too.

15 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Well, according to the skater tables at evolving-hockey, Mittelstadt had 884 minutes at evens and Sobotka had 820. Where are you seeing Sobotka had more? 

Games played was 7 more for Casey.  Average TOI was more for Vlad in his games played.

Looking at the current roster, even though he’s primarily been an LW, his best fit is probably as Sam’s replacement at RW with Jack and Jeff. He’s got the IQ and the ability to move the puck in that role.

Probably one of the factors in convincing him to sign.

Edited by dudacek

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I would say that this signing puts me over the threshold bare minimum for being 'okay' with the big acquisition being a winger rather than a center. Not thrilled, but I'd watch with intrigue. This is under the assumption that there just isn't a reasonable avenue for a very good center this offseason. 

Man, I thought we were done with this issue, it's so painful to still be discussing it ?

My feeling is that JBott is still hunting for his 2C. 

I think the idea is that Johansson is an “insurance” move, in case he doesn’t find what he wants, it gives tinkering options for the lineup. Or, if he does land the 2C he wants, Johansson can fill in when one of our top 3 centers inevitably has an illness or injury. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

And since we have a crowded roster, what does he get in return?  Picks?  Prospects?

They can definitely still acquire a good forward.  It’s going to be just fine if Girgensons, Larsson, or Okposo starts the season as the 13th forward.

14 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I think the idea is that Johansson is an “insurance” move, in case he doesn’t find what he wants, it gives tinkering options for the lineup.

It fits with JBot's MO:  Last summer it was Sheary obtained as insurance before landing Skinner.

41 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

It could be a step in the process of freeing up a winger to be traded as part of a deal for a center.

37 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Yea, could definitely be a sweetener from the wings now. Risto+ Sheary/Rodrigues. 

I can see a winger included as a sweetener (although I'd be inclined more towards "throw-in" as a descriptor), but I don't think anyone is going to give the Sabres anything for any of their wings.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Looking at the current roster, even though he’s primarily been an LW, his best fit is probably as Sam’s replacement with Jack and Jeff. He’s got the IQ and the ability to move the puck in that role.

Probably one of the factors in convincing him to sign.

Interesting, and I would like to see how this looks.  I kinda think though that due to supply and demand they are unlikely to bring in a good #2 center between now and the start of the season, so MJ's most likely landing spot is 2C.

So maybe:

Skinner-Eichel-Vesey

Ehlers/other good W coming back for Risto-MJ-Reino

Olofsson-Mitts-ERod

Sheary-Larsson-KO

Separately:  I like this acquisition.  It's a low-risk, cost-effective move to bring in an experienced pro who has pretty good size and speed, will turn 29 in October, has played a good, productive supporting role on good teams and has won a lot of regular season and playoff games.  I still think it's fairly likely that JB scoops up a good forward who pops loose from a cap-strapped team as the RFA dust settles around the league, but this move reduces the urgency of that happening.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I can see a winger included as a sweetener (although I'd be inclined more towards "throw-in" as a descriptor), but I don't think anyone is going to give the Sabres anything for any of their wings.

Interesting, and I would like to see how this looks.  I kinda think though that due to supply and demand they are unlikely to bring in a good #2 center between now and the start of the season, so MJ's most likely landing spot is 2C.

Well, that's mostly because you underrate Sheary and Erod.

The term is what saves this for me.  The guy is wildly inconsistent season to season.  He's effectively a fill-in until Cozens gets here.

Botterill still has a tonne of work to do if he's going to palpably up the average talent level of the team and he really needs to jettison the chaff.

3 minutes ago, ... said:

Those charts are worthless to me, always have been.  I have no idea what all the categories mean.  I only know above the line is good, below the line is bad.  From a glance they tell me this guy is a middling forward- good at some stuff, not good at other stuff.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, ... said:

The term is what saves this for me.  The guy is wildly inconsistent season to season.  He's effectively a fill-in until Cozens gets here.

Botterill still has a tonne of work to do if he's going to palpably up the average talent level of the team and he really needs to jettison the chaff.

If by that, I hope you don't mean at center. I like the signing a lot as a middle-six winger. That will change the moment I see him at 2C. 

I know no one wants Mittelstadt as 2C, but at least botts gave him some better wingers.

Skinner - Eichel - Vesey

Johansson - Mittelstad - Reinhart

Oloffson  -  Erod -  Nylander

Thompson  - Larsson - Zemgus

KO/sheary

Or you go with Reinhart as 2C

Skinner - Eichel - Vesey

Johansson - Reinhart  - Oloffson

Nylander - Mittelstad - Erod

Thompson - Larsson - Zemgus

KO/sheary

And yes I will keep putting Larsson and Zemgus as our 4th line because they were not the issue last year.

Anyway spots will need to be earned this year for sure.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Those charts are worthless to me, always have been.  I have no idea what all the categories mean.  I only know above the line is good, below the line is bad.  From a glance they tell me this guy is a middling forward- good at some stuff, not good at other stuff.

All you need to know is that if you remove the last two seasons, he's a good, if not very good, addition to the forward ranks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.