Sabres Signing Marcus Johansson 2 years 4.5 Million AAV

Brawndo

20 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I continue to hope that Johansson isn't the plan at 2C. 

Plenty of off season to go yet and it appears UFA movement has stalled until these RFA scenarios play out. I am guessing that combined with the relatively low cap escalation has teams recalibrating before movement picks up again.

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

Plenty of off season to go yet and it appears UFA movement has stalled until these RFA scenarios play out. I am guessing that combined with the relatively low cap escalation has teams recalibrating before movement picks up again.

Yea, I simultaneously feel that Botterill has to have at least one other trade cooking by looking at the roster, while also thinking he thought Berglund and Mittelstadt were okay at 2C last year so he might be okay with Johansson this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Yea, I simultaneously feel that Botterill has to have at least one other trade cooking by looking at the roster, while also thinking he thought Berglund and Mittelstadt were okay at 2C last year so he might be okay with Johansson this year. 

I'm hopeful that he's still looking to make a trade for a 2C (a large supply of NHL D-men & LWs with a glaring need for at least 1 more 2nd liner & ideally 2 more), but figured that he's deep enough in "well, in a pinch, we can try x" to not be forced to overpay to fill those 2nd line roles.

I won't be happy with where they're at, but I'd be less happy if they do something like take Turris and his full cap hit.

They only need the stopgap 2C for 1-2 seasons.  Don't pull a Murray filling it.  Like said above, am hopeful he can get it done.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, nucci said:

What do we got going on that he likes?

Those are just generic quotes of a player joining a new team.  We've got Eichel, we've got Dahlin, we've got stuff to like.

45 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I continue to hope that Johansson isn't the plan at 2C. 

I really think he's Plan B for 2C.  At least there's someone to fill the void if he doesn't land his intended target.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd encourage anyone interested to listen to Howard and Sal's interview today with Joe Beninati, longtime Capitals play-by-play guy.  It's in the WGR vault.  Joe B spoke very highly of MJ, including:

- Joe B. loved MJ as both a player and a good guy.

- MJ was great in the playoffs.  One season he was on a line with Kuznetsov and Justin Williams that was highly effective for the Caps in the playoffs.

- For a while it looked like MJ was going to be their long-term 2C behind Backstrom, but MJ ended up getting caught in a cap numbers game in DC.

- MJ is a good scorer from the dirty areas as well as being a good playmaker.

- MJ is an excellent, smooth skater.

- His nickname is "Jo-jo."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I'd encourage anyone interested to listen to Howard and Sal's interview today with Joe Beninati, longtime Capitals play-by-play guy.  It's in the WGR vault.  Joe B spoke very highly of MJ, including:

- Joe B. loved MJ as both a player and a good guy.

- MJ was great in the playoffs.  One season he was on a line with Kuznetsov and Justin Williams that was highly effective for the Caps in the playoffs.

- For a while it looked like MJ was going to be their long-term 2C behind Backstrom, but MJ ended up getting caught in a cap numbers game in DC.

- MJ is a good scorer from the dirty areas as well as being a good playmaker.

- MJ is an excellent, smooth skater.

- His nickname is "Jo-jo."

Any questions?

47 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

One other tidbit from the interview with Beninati:  MaJo (better, @shrader?) excels at gaining the zone on the power play.

OMG does that mean we won't see the dreaded drop back pass to Eichel each and everytime we're on the power play??

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Saw something on twitter that indicated Johansson draws a lot more penalties than he takes, which is a characteristic of quite a few Sabres players. It's definitely worth talking about

Only if 1 of the coaches can figure out how to run a PP.  (Which was criminal last year.  How can you not make something work when you have: Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Sheary, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Ristolainen, Okposo &  eventually Montour to choose from?)

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Only if 1 of the coaches can figure out how to run a PP.  (Which was criminal last year.  How can you not make something work when you have: Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Sheary, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Ristolainen, Okposo &  eventually Montour to choose from?)

I get you want the PP to improve, I would like it to better too, but it wasn’t THAT bad last season.  It was average.  It was better than the PP of 15 other teams, including Calgary, Philadelphia, Vegas, Columbus, Nashville.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jsb said:

OMG does that mean we won't see the dreaded drop back pass to Eichel each and everytime we're on the power play??

I'm not so worried about our PP1's zone entries, even though there were some bad attempts based on what you alluded to...

Perhaps he could help our PP2 unit with that. I don't know if our PP1 vs PP2 success ratio was any different than the league average, but I felt our PP was over when the first unit left the ice...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.