Sabres Signing Marcus Johansson 2 years 4.5 Million AAV

Brawndo

9 hours ago, WildCard said:

I hope he can at least play RW. Does anyone know his style of play at all?

Really good passer and playmaker from what I saw in the playoffs. Took a good shot to the head from St. Louis and it didn't seem to do anything big so maybe the concussion thing is over blown? Hopefully. Bruins tried him with Krecji but he played best on the wing with Coyle. Its a much needed addition for us. I see him as a solid playmaker average 2nd line player really good 3rd line player  so he can allow Mitts to step back a little and develop and they can eventually switch places depending on the speed of development. 

Now if only we could add some muscle we'd be all set.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Should we create a fancy stats reference thread?

I don't think that would solve my complaint upthread. My issue is that posting *any* third party content without doing some level of dicussion about it- what your opinion of it is, what point you're trying to make, is just poor communication. 

Let it support your point, but don't try to make content from another site *be* your point.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

At first I thought you might be a little sarcastic with the post... but the more I think that if you are serious, it could help some of us lay people.  Most of Flagg's stat stuff I understand and to an extent Pi's, just dont know how Pi gets to where he does and what regression curves he is using... and mind you I am way out of practice with stuff too.

What do you think this is here, Tinder?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The depth is getting better with Vesey/Johansson/Routsalainen added and Olofsson/Nylander/Tage fighting for spots.  

Last year we had a first line and 3 fourth lines.   Looks like we now have a first, 2 thirds, and a fourth line.  Still looking for more in the top 6.  

Edited by Pimlach

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Really good passer and playmaker from what I saw in the playoffs. Took a good shot to the head from St. Louis and it didn't seem to do anything big so maybe the concussion thing is over blown?

Well, it's either overblown or the only legit excuse for his play during the last two regular seasons.  Can't have it both ways.

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I don't think that would solve my complaint upthread. My issue is that posting *any* third party content without doing some level of dicussion about it- what your opinion of it is, what point you're trying to make, is just poor communication. 

Let it support your point, but don't try to make content from another site *be* your point.

So, I'm going to edit this down, even though it's been quoted already.  I don't really intend to come off as hostile on this matter, it does, though seem ridiculous it's "a thing". Those charts, in the order I posted them (chronologically) say all that needs to be said.

Edited by ...

27 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The depth is getting better with Johansson/Routsalainen added and Olofsson/Nylander/Tage fighting for spots.  

Last year we had a first line and 3 fourth lines.   Looks like we now have a first, 2 thirds, and a fourth line.  Still looking for more in the top 6.  

One first line, two fourth lines, and a sixth. 

<sarcasm>See, we we had 4 top-6 lines.</sarcasm>

6 minutes ago, ... said:

Well, it's either overblown or the only legit excuse for his play during the last two regular seasons.  Can't have it both ways.

I think it’s kind of clear that by “overblown”, he sort meant “no longer a serious, current issue” since he was discussing a hit that happened in the playoffs and the lack of ill effects from it.  I don’t think he meant that it’s effects over the last 2 years as a whole are overblown.

4 minutes ago, ... said:

Are we still on this? JFC. Is it my fault you have no idea what it is you're looking at with those charts?  Those charts, in the order I posted them (chronologically) say all that needs to be said.  Do you want the thousand words with each picture?  Shall we include a narrative with each funny animated gif?

Once I get my laptop out, I will do something to make a reference for these graphs, stats, etc.  IMHO, as the one most likely to come up with number crunching that requires a graduate math degree to interpret, I should do this.  After watching the responses to some of the the analyses here, I think that explaining what I can see is like me trying to understand how Rashid Nezhmetdinov could think chess the way he did.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ... said:

Maybe, but 11 points in the playoffs for the Bruins, 8th on their team scoring so he can play in tough games. Will he for us? Dunno, but its a 2 year deal and we need players now while kids grow so I see absolutely no problem with the signing. Could be huge dividends, and if not, we shouldn't be any worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ... said:

So, I'm going to edit this down, even though it's been quoted already.  I don't really intend to come off as hostile on this matter, it does, though seem ridiculous it's "a thing". Those charts, in the order I posted them (chronologically) say all that needs to be said.

I understand your intent *now* but when they were first posted I didn't even pick up on the fact that they were from different time periods.  In trying to see what they were saying I looked at the actual charts and didn't notice the headers were different until it was pointed out. 

Here's a case where Wildcard shared a tweet upthread:

...and while he didn't put any words with it, the person who tweeted the chart did:  "Marcus Johansson is great at zone entries."  There's a message to sum up the data. 

When people post charts without explaining why they're posting them, they are nothing but noise.  I see what your point is now, but when you post 8 sets of data, it wasn't readily apparent  (i.e., it didn't stand out) that the point you were trying to make was his performance over time.  And even if it was, one interpretation of that would be a negative:  This guy was really good, but lately he sucked.  Without framing it, even if I got the difference in time periods, the message wasn't clear.

One or two remarks added turns it into useful information.  And it doesn't come off as hostile, but it is a bit snobbish:  "I'm posting it and it should be blatantly obvious to the most casual observer what my point is."  Only it's not obvious to everyone.

I said upthread I didn't want to digress anymore, but here I am doing it.  You may not agree with my point, but hopefully you understand what I'm saying.  In general I enjoy your posts and I do learn a lot of useful information from you. 

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I really don't get the complaints over this. We've added a good player and we didn't subtract anything to add him. It's a good thing. 

Basically it doesn't clearly address the most pressing need of 2C.  We have a crowded roster and no apparent 2C.  That's the complaint, anyway.

I think we need to wait and see what else JBot does.  The season doesn't begin tomorrow, there's still time. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

IMHO, as the one most likely to come up with number crunching that requires a graduate math degree to interpret, I should do this.

?

I think you might be surprised by how many people here meet that requirement.  That said, your willingness to help others by setting it up is still appreciated.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

1CD29143-51F4-404F-93B6-18518E890ECA.gif

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.