Sabres Signing Marcus Johansson 2 years 4.5 Million AAV

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

I also think TT gets there ad an outside chance that Nylander does though guessing hes 30-70.  TT has shown me the work effort

TT was very bad last season.  I would be shocked if he produced at a top-6 level in the NHL next season.  Nylander?  Who knows?  Maybe.

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

TT was very bad last season.  I would be shocked if he produced at a top-6 level in the NHL next season.  Nylander?  Who knows?  Maybe.

TT has moments, and his effort in the A, his skating ability which I think he just hasnt put it all together and based on his weight gain I look forward to seeing him this year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

No, he's played primarily wing with the occasional stint at center. 

5 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

He broke into the league with the Caps as a center, but his faceoff [attempts] dropped year by year. He's been a winger exclusively the last few seasons.

As for the player, there's the health worry (concussions), but the term is fantastic, the pricetag is good, and he is definitely middle 6. Logjam on the left wing.

According to this site he played a ton of C last season:

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/marcus-johansson

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Well now that was a lot to read.

Good team player, experienced winning hockey player role model in the room. 

I like it, low risk high potential if he stays healthy and the lines jell. 

New coach getting some options to work with and possibly we aren't done yet.

Maybe baby steps but they are getting better. 

Seems like a good reason to have my first beer today or 3.

?

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I would say that this signing puts me over the threshold bare minimum for being 'okay' with the big acquisition being a winger rather than a center. Not thrilled, but I'd watch with intrigue. This is under the assumption that there just isn't a reasonable avenue for a very good center this offseason. 

Man, I thought we were done with this issue, it's so painful to still be discussing it ?

This is how I look at it, too. It feels to me like Botterill took two value, low cost adds in Johansson and Vesey as, to use your word, okay additions to our pressing needs at 2C and Top-6 RW, in the event that if no further moves could be swung, they are at least fall-back options better than what we had. 

If there's one more big move out there for a 2C or Top-6 RW, it can be a BPA move. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

I keep trying to figure out this lineup and I can't

Skinner - Eichel - Sheary

Olofsson/Johansson - ?? - Reinhart

Vesey - Mitts - Erod

Zemgus - Larsson - Okposo

Skinner -Eichel- Reinhart

Vesey- Johansson- Erod

Sheary-Middlestadt-Nylander

Girgenson- Larrson- Okposo

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Looking at the current roster, even though he’s primarily been an LW, his best fit is probably as Sam’s replacement at RW with Jack and Jeff. He’s got the IQ and the ability to move the puck in that role.

Probably one of the factors in convincing him to sign.

Maybe he told Vesey and Johansson the same thing

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

I keep trying to figure out this lineup and I can't

Skinner - Eichel - Sheary

Olofsson/Johansson - ?? - Reinhart

Vesey - Mitts - Erod

Zemgus - Larsson - Okposo

Not all the moves are done to be sure. So it's a bit premature to start penciling in who's going to seat where, no?

4 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Am i missing something with Olofsson? Why is he in the lineup?

He should be in the lineup because he is good.  Much more proven than Nylander.  He led Rochester in scoring as an AHL rookie, coaches loved him, he probably has the best shot in the organization (Roch or Sabres), he looked good in the few games he played in Buffalo.  I have a hard time thinking of a reason he shouldn’t be in the Sabres’ lineup to start the season.

4 hours ago, jad1 said:

So the plan is to move a 3rd line left winger to right wing on the 1st line?  That will help Jack?  

If this is the plan, this team is in serious trouble this season. 

With two players of the quality of Eichel and Skinner, the third piece on that line is basically just about fit. 

4 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Red is evil. Blue and green are good, and purple is Princely. Unless you're in a ship... then green is bad and red is good. Unless you're in GI Joe, then blue is bad and red is good.

If you are on a ship, red is certainly bad, as it means you may be about to die in a horrific accident/mission.

This is probably our last big move of the off-season unless someone with a decent size cap hit is traded. 

With Z and MoJo were are down to 6.75 in cap space to re-sign McCabe, Ullmark and ERod.  Larsson could be on the outside looking in.  We also need cap to operate and pay Dahlin’s year end bonuses.

Therefore no Dzingel, no Ferland or even adding cap in trade, such as getting Bjugstad unless an equal amount of cap is sent elsewhere.

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

By the way, we’re there any rumors regarding our interest in Johansson? 

Jbot is pretty good at keeping his business out of the media.  

• Second Liner
  •  
  • Scottysabres
  • Members
  • 2,549 posts

I get a gut feeling Marcus Johansson will be a Sabres in the next couple days.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Should we create a fancy stats reference thread?  It should have the stat name and a reference to click on.  (Among other things, it would have made @pi2000's TRpm easier to find.)  IMHO, nothing more should be required of the poster: we are all "extra effort" fans; let us learn together what these stats are and develop our own evaluation of their quality.  We can even nominate what we think are the really good stats for an official @Randall Flagg seal of approval.

If I were the first person to use a stat, I personally would take my initial use and work through it for people to follow what it is.  It's the Math Professor in me.  (Sorry, no Math Ginger or Math Mary Ann.)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Should we create a fancy stats reference thread?  It should have the stat name and a reference to click on.  (Among other things, it would have made @pi2000's TRpm easier to find.)  IMHO, nothing more should be required of the poster: we are all "extra effort" fans; let us learn together what these stats are and develop our own evaluation of their quality.  We can even nominate what we think are the really good stats for an official @Randall Flagg seal of approval.

If I were the first person to use a stat, I personally would take my initial use and work through it for people to follow what it is.  It's the Math Professor in me.  (Sorry, no Math Ginger or Math Mary Ann.)

At first I thought you might be a little sarcastic with the post... but the more I think that if you are serious, it could help some of us lay people.  Most of Flagg's stat stuff I understand and to an extent Pi's, just dont know how Pi gets to where he does and what regression curves he is using... and mind you I am way out of practice with stuff too.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

A single thread would be tough because you would have to scroll through to find what you are looking for.  A dedicated club/forum that had separate topics for each analytics stat and chart used along with an explanation would be great because you could just search it up.  It would also contain any commentary to that particular analytic to that thread.  If you mixed the analytics together any commentary might be lost or become hard to follow.

You could do that in this forum, but it would intermix with the regular hockey talk and could be hard to follow.  Also, it would eventually fall off the main few pages and have to be searched all the time.

But, any way it gets cut.. it would be a great resource.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Oh, heck.  My point of logging in.

I like the signing.  Of course, anything that makes it more likely that Vladimir Putin^H^H^H^H^H Sobotka is not in the line-up was going to make me happy.

Try this line-up out:

Skinner-Eichel-Vesey

Rodrigues-Mittlestadt-Reinhart

Olofsson-Johansson-Asplund

Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

Ruotsalainen-Smith-Nylander

I protected Mittlestadt with a pair of 2-way players who can also play some Centre.  I put a couple of young guys with Johansson to learn and allow both wingers to transition to Centre.  I think the Eichel line will have great chemistry.  I kept the 4th line together.  I demoted Sheary based upon his play at the end of the season.  The idea is to get 4 functioning lines and to clear out dead weight.

I suddenly feel badly for Housley.

Edited by E4 ... Ke2
Forgot Ruotsalainen; really demoted Sheary.

11 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Oh, heck.  My point of logging in.

I like the signing.  Of course, anything that makes it more likely that Vladimir Putin^H^H^H^H^H Sobotka is not in the line-up was going to make me happy.

Try this line-up out:

Skinner-Eichel-Vesey

Rodrigues-Mittlestadt-Reinhart

Olofsson-Johansson-Asplund

Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

Sheary-Smith-Nylander

I protected Mittlestadt with a pair of 2-way players who can also play some Centre.  I put a couple of young guys with Johansson to learn and allow both wingers to transition to Centre.  I think the Eichel line will have great chemistry.  I kept the 4th line together.  I demoted Sheary based upon his play at the end of the season.  The idea is to get 4 functioning lines and to clear out dead weight.

I suddenly feel badly for Housley.

I don't think Asplund is ready. I could see CJ Smith in his place though. Everyone keeps leaving Routsolainin out of the lineup. I think he has a decent shot to make the team. 

Edited by inkman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.