Sabres Signing Marcus Johansson 2 years 4.5 Million AAV

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, ... said:

Yeah, that's cool.  We're the experiment.  If he "finally recovers" then we have a good player until he gets hit again.  As I said, the term is what makes this signing okay, but not really okay, but...

Basically.  Though I do disagree with your general pessimistic slant on the situation, haha.

If he didn’t have the concussion issues in the past, he probably would have gotten 5.5x5 or something like that.  Because he had the issues, he got 4.5x2.  So I guess we’ll see, but as I said, he looked recovered and back to his old self towards the end of the season.

15 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Funny enough teacher's I know stopped using red pen for that exact reason

True. I use green, purple or black - whatevers closest. Sometimes if I can't find a pen I'll just use a crayon. Parents don't like it when I do that though haha.

Edited by steveoath
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Basically.  Though I do disagree with your general pessimistic slant on the situation, haha.

If he didn’t have the concussion issues in the past, he probably would have gotten 5.5x5 or something like that.  Because he had the issues, he got 4.5x2.  So I guess we’ll see, but as I said, he looked recovered and back to his old self towards the end of the season.

I really shouldn't be so pessimistic.  Like I said, remove the stats from the prior two seasons and I might be thrilled.  I don't recall his game from the playoffs, either, so I have no eye-test recollection to go on.  

These guys with injuries, though, coming in with the hopes of rebounding; we've been bit by that bug one too many times.  I hope it works out.  

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Yet another guy I completely forgot about

We have sooooo many wingers, somebody is getting moved with Risto

we do have lots of wingers, and 3-4 d-men.  only Dahlin seems to be a 1-2 guy and most of our wingers are 3rd or 4th liners

Edited by Sabre fan

31 minutes ago, jad1 said:

So the plan is to move a 3rd line left winger to right wing on the 1st line?  That will help Jack?  

If this is the plan, this team is in serious trouble this season. 

First of all, not even the Stanley Cup champions are running 40-50 point wingers on their 3rd line.

Secondly, if the stated goal of having Reinhart drive a 2nd line holds, the other options for 1RW are 15-goal men Sheary, Okposo and Vesey or a bunch of unproven kids who have yet to combine for 15 in their NHL careers. So yes, it might help Jack,  not that Jack needs help to be effective.

The plan is to get better. Not every move is going to be Skinner for scraps. 

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't think he is. But Dahlin is so good I'm fine with running a bunch of 2nd pair guys behind him.

Really? I mean not everyone can be a #1 guy, I think he can definitely be a 2nd d man on a good team. I can't do it now but I would bet if you took the top 2 guy on contending teams Montour is as good if not better than half of them

25 minutes ago, ... said:

These guys with injuries, though, coming in with the hopes of rebounding; we've been bit by that bug one too many times. 

Who are you thinking of?  

Oh: probably Okposo

Edited by Curt
Okposo

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

First of all, not even the Stanley Cup champions are running 40-50 point wingers on their 3rd line.

Secondly, if the stated goal of having Reinhart drive a 2nd line holds, the other options for 1RW are 15-goal men Sheary, Okposo and Vesey or a bunch of unproven kids who have yet to combine for 15 in their NHL careers. So yes, it might help Jack,  not that Jack needs help to be effective.

The plan is to get better. Not every move is going to be Skinner for scraps. 

Yeah, but that's not what grumpy old / young men on here want to hear. They're arguing about graphs and other stuff.

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Really? I mean not everyone can be a #1 guy, I think he can definitely be a 2nd d man on a good team. I can't do it now but I would bet if you took the top 2 guy on contending teams Montour is as good if not better than half of them

I'll take that bet. Now we just have to hope a third party does the leg work because lord knows neither of us are doing it 

49 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Do you honestly think it's fair to require people to explain the graphs continuously? After all, not everyone will see the explanations, so it'll have to be with every post. I think that's an unfair expectation of posters. The charts are created at evolving-hockey.com, and there's an explanation there of what they are for those curious. 

Why don't you start a "Fancy Stats Club" and this way whenever someone has a question they can get the answer there.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

we do have lots of wingers, and 3-4 d-men.  only Dahlin seems to be a 1-2 guy and most of our wingers are 3rd or 4th liners

I could be a smart arse and say “yeah, about half of them!”  But really there is Skinner, Reino, Johansson now.  Olofsson and Vesey both have the chance to produce at that level, though I have more hope for Olofsson.  I don’t think the wing depth is far off from where it needs to be to be good.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jsb said:

Why don't you start a "Fancy Stats Club" and this way whenever someone has a question they can get the answer there.

Because, again, that's putting the onus on myself and others to constantly explain. I don't mind doing it here and there, but two things. First, I don't pretend to be the absolute authority on thee things. Second, it would be a lot faster for people to go to the sourced locations. One question can quickly lead to another and before you know it I may as well have copied and pasted the methods section of another site. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

I know he's not Leino but that reeks of Leino

Two year deal with s reasonable cap hit.  Don’t think this is Leino but worst case even if he is this is manageable.  His hit comes off the books before Dahlin next contract.

I missed the morning working on my rental property in Mass... nice surprise upon getting back on the road.  I think many will be surprised by Johanssen especially when healthy.  He works hard, skates well, great passer... I am excited!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I could be a smart arse and say “yeah, about half of them!”  But really there is Skinner, Reino, Johansson now.  Olofsson and Vesey both have the chance to produce at that level, though I have more hope for Olofsson.  I don’t think the wing depth is far off from where it needs to be to be good.

I also think TT gets there ad an outside chance that Nylander does though guessing hes 30-70.  TT has shown me the work effort

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.