Sabres Signing Marcus Johansson 2 years 4.5 Million AAV

Brawndo

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Eichel Skinner Reinhart Mitts Vesey Rodrigues Johansson Larsson Zemgus Kyle Sheary Olofsson is a full roster, but it's not a roster I'd be happy with. We need that one last big splash at forward, and then we can see where things fall into place.

The problem is, only Risto - Mitts - Reinhart have any value that are likely to bring back a 2C in return; Mitts isn't going anywhere as Botts first pick, and I really, really don't wanna lose Reinhart

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Eichel Skinner Reinhart Mitts Vesey Rodrigues Johansson Larsson Zemgus Kyle Sheary Olofsson is a full roster, but it's not a roster I'd be happy with. We need that one last big splash at forward, and then we can see where things fall into place.

Ehlers...

• Like (+1) 1

• nfreeman locked, unlocked and pinned this topic

Two year term on a guy begging for 5 and his comparable all got 4 or 5 year deals?  Amazing!  No downside to the contract whatsoever. 

I believe Mittelstadt will still be 2C and he will be fine, and Johansson will be his backup center in a pinch or if he’s struggling too much. They’re both lefties and can alternate through that role. 

So the theme for this summer continues to be add real NHL players I don’t happen to particularly like at reasonable prices, adding to the overall depth and talent level without properly addressing our biggest issue.

This deal kinda puts us in a position where we can no longer easily weaponize cap space. We have about $7 million left that our RFAs will largely eat up.

Doesnt change the likelihood of making a Risto for a 2C type deal at all though. Makes it easier to add a plus.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Ho-Chi-Sock said:

JBot should be fired for this signing. He was suppose to completely neglect the 2C so that he could he fired at the end of the season for not upgrading the 2C. What is he thinking?!?

angry inside out GIF by Disney Pixar

If this is the answer at 2C, then Botterill has still neglected the position. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, WildCard said:

That's a good point

Really?  I was just shotgunning.

But if it means that's the answer for second line, I'm not thrilled.  I'd still like to see a high end 2C and let Mitts and his training wheels train on the third line.  If they click then you have three scoring lines and the Sabres are good.

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I keep trying to figure out this lineup and I can't

Skinner - Eichel - Sheary

Olofsson/Johansson - ?? - Reinhart

Vesey - Mitts - Erod

Zemgus - Larsson - Okposo

This is where Kruger comes in.... he has a knack for seeing out of the box

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

This was my thinking about what Botterill might be thinking. I'd hate it, but it wouldn't shock me. 

Just now, Doohickie said:

Really?  I was just shotgunning.

I mean it makes sense from Botterill's point of view. If Risto really has no value to get a 2C from someone, might as well blanket Mitts as much as possible and hope for the best

Also, Tanev got $3.5M/6 years, just saying

Just now, WildCard said:

I keep trying to figure out this lineup and I can't

Skinner - Eichel - Sheary

Olofsson/Johansson - ?? - Reinhart

Vesey - Mitts - Erod

Zemgus - Larsson - Okposo

Vesey is a left handed RW.

Skinner-Eichel-Oloffson/Sheary/Vesey

Johansson-Mittelstadt-Reinhart 

Smith-Rodrigues-Oloffson/Sheary/Vesey

Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

camp will be competitive

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.