Zemgus Signs One Year Deal

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Seems like we'd lose him next year then, no?

I'm sure they can re-sign him next year again for cheap as well. If not, at least one of Botterill's darts should be capable of holding down a spot on the 4th line in 2020-2021. If not, we have bigger problems.

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Seriously, this off season been one of the worst in ages, I was happy with the Miller trade, was okay with the Vesey trade but everything else has been MEH!!!!!

Those are the only two things Buffalo has done, right?  Haha

25 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Seems like we'd lose him next year then, no?

Im not sure lose him is the right term lol.  Let’s hope our bottom 6 is improved to the point that we don’t bat an eye if this is his last year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Risto might be the poster child for what the tank did to our young players, but Zemgus is a very close second.

When Rob Ray has talked about players not accepting their roles or listening to the coaches, he is always a prime candidate in my mind.

He is also one of many players I am very curious to see if they can benefit from the much-touted “Krueger effect” along with Risto, Reinhart, Okposo, ERod, Nylander, Lazar, Montour, Vesey, Olofsson and Larsson - essentially, all guys who have been successful and hyped at one time, who I suspect might feel they have not been properly utilized or supported.

I think Ralph will be presenting these guys with both a challenge and an opportunity and I’m wondering if any will be able to grasp it.

For some, like Zemgus, it might be their last chance to become more than what they are.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Since he will be an UFA we should get his best effort for this year and if it's another crap year we can ditch him at the deadline for a pick (probably a low one). Honestly, who cares.

As we had 2 lines worse than his all last year, I need to see the Sabres have 4 functioning lines before I get this nonchalant about Zemgus.  (And Larry, for that matter.)  Besides, his presence is a roster spot that does not go to Sobotka.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Risto might be the poster child for what the tank did to our young players, but Zemgus is a very close second.

When Rob Ray has talked about players not accepting their roles or listening to the coaches, he is always a prime candidate in my mind.

He is also one of many players I am very curious to see if they can benefit from the much-touted “Krueger effect” along with Risto, Reinhart, Okposo, ERod, Nylander, Lazar, Montour, Vesey, Olofsson and Larsson - essentially, all guys who have been successful and hyped at one time, who I suspect might feel they have not been properly utilized or supported.

I think Ralph will be presenting these guys with both a challenge and an opportunity and I’m wondering if any will be able to grasp it.

For some, like Zemgus, it might be their last chance to become more than what they are.

Until the next coach? Said the same with Housley. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The thing is, Girgensons has actually been quite the consistent player.  He had one season where he was used as 1C, got PP time, and had an abnormally high shooting %, leading to a career year.  That got everyone all excited because it was his 2nd year in the league, we though it was real improvement, and the rest of the team was tank trash.  It turned out to be a fluke.  Next season will be his 7th in the NHL.  I would not expect any improvement.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Compared to what?

Other 4th liners around the league.  They really did do a good job of suppressing offense against.

Listen, I’m just saying that they good at defense.  Neither of them are any good at creating scoring opportunities, but at least they can play defense, get the puck out of the Dzone, and cycle it around in the Ozone a bit.  What do you want from your 4th line?

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Listen, I’m just saying that they good at defense.  Neither of them are any good at creating scoring opportunities, but at least they can play defense, get the puck out of the Dzone, and cycle it around in the Ozone a bit.  What do you want from your 4th line?

This, plus penalty killing (ideally with the threat of a shorthanded rush up ice), rousing up the crowd with a body check (remember that one shift from... a day game... this past season where the Sabres threw about 5 checks in a row and the entire arena was rocking?), and being able to score the occasional goal 5 on 5.

Additional perks: 1) being trustworthy enough to be on the ice to take a shift when the other team has pulled the goalie and 2) one critical goal for per playoff series.

• Like (+1) 1

I have to ask -- did anyone questioning why Girgensons and Larsson were good for the team last year actually watch the games?  Besides Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart, Girgensons-Larsson-Berglund/Rodrigues/Okposo was the only other line that could get out of the D-Zone with anything that vaguely approached regularity.

Last year, Zemgus and Larry had 84.7% and 84.4% DZS respectively.  The number of times a player has had a less favourable split since the lockout is 3 - #1 and 2 are Paul Gaustad in Nashville; #3 was Manny Malhotra in Vancouver.  They were on every PK and had no PP time except when changing at the end of the 2nd shift.  Moreover, they drove the top lines in the league bonkers.  They were tenacious checkers and hit well.  They were always out there when the Sabres were trying to protect a lead.  What more do you want out of your 4th line?

• Like (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

I have to ask -- did anyone questioning why Girgensons and Larsson were good for the team last year actually watch the games?  Besides Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart, Girgensons-Larsson-Berglund/Rodrigues/Okposo was the only other line that could get out of the D-Zone with anything that vaguely approached regularity.

Last year, Zemgus and Larry had 84.7% and 84.4% DZS respectively.  The number of times a player has had a less favourable split since the lockout is 3 - #1 and 2 are Paul Gaustad in Nashville; #3 was Manny Malhotra in Vancouver.  They were on every PK and had no PP time except when changing at the end of the 2nd shift.  Moreover, they drove the top lines in the league bonkers.  They were tenacious checkers and hit well.  They were always out there when the Sabres were trying to protect a lead.  What more do you want out of your 4th line?

Some scoring 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.