Risto Fined 120,000 Euros for Speeding in Finland

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, Curt said:

50mph in a 25mph zone.  That’s bad obviously, but it’s not as if he was going 110mph.

That fine is crazy.  Didn’t realized they were scaled by income in some countries.

I believe Sweden has a lifetime loss of license for a DUI.

I'd call Risto the Flying Finn but a few guys already have taken that moniker. Matti Nykanen, ski jumper was the first I believe.

30 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It is one of the few languages in Europe that does not derive from Proto-Indo-European.

Yeah, really not sure how / why the Finnish ancestors set up an East Asian sounding language, but they definitely nailed it.

Will never forget the time at the MMArena that we kept hearing from just over our right shoulders what sounded like Japanese with an occasional "Mika, Mika" thrown in for good measure.  Eventually curiosity got the better of us so we turned around only to see a small blonde haired blue eyes woman cheering wildly in a Norronen sweater.  Turned out she was from a town near where Mika grew up and was very ecstatic to get to see him play in person in the NHL.

26 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Suomi - Hungarian.   They still don't know where it comes from.    And also Bask language.

The Basque language is an especial standout because it's not related to ANYTHING.  At least Finnish is related to Hungarian (as you note), Estonian, and a couple of others.

On 7/5/2019 at 8:13 AM, Curt said:

Didn’t realized they were scaled by income in some countries.

I think it's a good idea.  For some people living paycheck to paycheck with poor credit, a $300 is enough to put them into bankruptcy.  For someone pulling down a 7 digit income, $300 is nothing, not even worth thinking about.  And they won't even lose their license for repeat offenses because they'll pony up an expensive lawyer (which is more than nothing but not much) and get tickets dismissed. 

This is a way to provide an equitable penalty on the offender, in terms of their financial situation.

On 7/4/2019 at 11:57 AM, darksabre said:

According to Twitter fines in Finland are levied according to income. That's brilliant. 

I always felt this should be the case. Currently , it's not a deterrent for many.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I think it's a good idea.  For some people living paycheck to paycheck with poor credit, a $300 is enough to put them into bankruptcy.  For someone pulling down a 7 digit income, $300 is nothing, not even worth thinking about.  And they won't even lose their license for repeat offenses because they'll pony up an expensive lawyer (which is more than nothing but not much) and get tickets dismissed. 

This is a way to provide an equitable penalty on the offender, in terms of their financial situation.

Over the years I've had many employees that have lost their licenses because they couldn't afford the fine. It prevents them from accessing better jobs unless that job is on the bus line.

I got a speeding ticket in Switzerland and in Belgium in November, maybe 15 km/hr over and nailed by a camera both times, got a ticket in the mail a month later, paid them both for about 100 euro each, kinda crazy, but in the scheme of things, an online payment of 100$ is a lot easier than how we deal with it here.... Court/DA/plea, etc

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.