Who Are the 2C and 3C Candidates Internal and External?

GASabresIUFAN

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

A 2nd line of Johansson Mitts and Reinhart could be formidable.

A 3rd line with Bonino anchoring an Sheary Bonino Vesey line could also be effective.

I'd rather have Erod on the 3rd line either in place of Sheary or at center. I would expect Ruusotlainen to push for that 3rd center spot as well. 

Vesey - Erod - Okposo

I actually believe Okposo will be a useful contributor this year on the 3rd line. 

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Agree with the bolded.

And as I've said elsewhere, my concern with Mittelstadt on the 2nd line (even with that pair of wingers which would IMHO give him his best chance to succeed as the 2C) is that I expect him to get lost in his own end going against 1st & 2nd line guys when they really start the hard cycling.  (Eichel still has major issues with that; don't need both of the top 2C's to have problems with it.)  Less concerning, but still an issue is that he wasn't remotely strong enough to win puck battles in front of the other team's net last year.  He MAY be strong enough to win against the other team's top D, but definitely not certainly; he should be against their weaker D.

Just seems they'd be setting him up to fail at 2C, whereas he'd have a much greater probability of success at 3C.  Especially if Olofsson ends up his wing there.  If they don't bring anyone elsein & Johansson and Rodrigues can't get it done there, then sure slide himinto that role.  But don't have that Plan A should no other roster moves get made.

It’s not my plan A either.  I just realize with our cap situation and players we have already signed that this may be our best option at this point.  We trade Ristolainen for a center and things change in a hurry.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd rather have Erod on the 3rd line either in place of Sheary or at center. I would expect Ruusotlainen to push for that 3rd center spot as well. 

Vesey - Erod - Okposo

I actually believe Okposo will be a useful contributor this year on the 3rd line. 

Except we need someone who can win a face off and that is where Bonino comes in.  Trade Sheary to Nash for Bonino and put ERod on the 3rd line in his place.

Erod Bonino and Vesey/Ko

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Except we need someone who can win a face off and that is where Bonino comes in.  Trade Sheary to Nash for Bonino and put ERod on the 3rd line in his place.

Erod Bonino and Vesey/Ko

I'm fine if they trade for Bonino. If they do you get

Skinner - Eichel - Olofsson

Vesey - Johansson - Reinhart

Erod - Bonino - Okposo

Seems solid depending on how much they can protect Mitts. It is hard to fit all our forwards into the lines. 

I think JBott will wait until remaining RFA's sign to make any more moves.  He will have a better idea of his cap space and other teams may be more pressed to make moves.

I look at Bonino in Nashville or Lowry in WPG to be his targets to fill defensive 3rd line Center position for next two years and move Mitts to 2nd line. 

Risto or Bogo could be moved out to help those teams on their RD. Additional pieces could be added to complete trade.

Some scenarios:

Bogo and Sheary to Nashville for Bonino.

Risto and Nylander to Nashville for Bonino and Jarnkrok.

Bogo and Nylander to WPG for Lowry.

Risto, Larsson and Sheary to WPG for Lowry and Perreault.

24 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I think JBott will wait until remaining RFA's sign to make any more moves.  He will have a better idea of his cap space and other teams may be more pressed to make moves.

I look at Bonino in Nashville or Lowry in WPG to be his targets to fill defensive 3rd line Center position for next two years and move Mitts to 2nd line. 

Risto or Bogo could be moved out to help those teams on their RD. Additional pieces could be added to complete trade.

Some scenarios:

Bogo and Sheary to Nashville for Bonino.

Risto and Nylander to Nashville for Bonino and Jarnkrok.

Bogo and Nylander to WPG for Lowry.

Risto, Larsson and Sheary to WPG for Lowry and Perreault.

He waited until August to get Skinner.  He very well could be waiting until someone puts themselves in a cap bind with RFA contracts over the next few weeks.  However to take advantage he is going to have to start dumping some excess players and team in cap binds will not be able to take contracts back.

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

But after the lockout, there’s that little thing of Bonino being 47 years old by then.

Umm, was responding to the bolded that Johansson - Mittelstadt - Reinhart could be effective 1 season from now.

Didn't comment on that proposed 3rd line.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:37 AM, LGR4GM said:

I'm fine if they trade for Bonino. If they do you get

Skinner - Eichel - Olofsson

Vesey - Johansson - Reinhart

Erod - Bonino - Okposo

Seems solid depending on how much they can protect Mitts. It is hard to fit all our forwards into the lines. 

I missed this post earlier.  Maybe Mitts moves to wing in this scenario.  Maybe even with Jack.

You could have 

Skinner Eichel Mitts

Olofsson Johansson Reinhart

Vesey Bonino Erod

Girgensons Larsson Okposo

The question really is how does this deck get shuffled again when Risto is traded?  It seems that Sheary or Erod might get included in that type of deal.

30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I missed this post earlier.  Maybe Mitts moves to wing in this scenario.  Maybe even with Jack.

You could have 

Skinner Eichel Mitts

Olofsson Johansson Reinhart

Vesey Bonino Erod

Girgensons Larsson Okposo

The question really is how does this deck get shuffled again when Risto is traded?  It seems that Sheary or Erod might get included in that type of deal.

Could definitely see Sheary or Rodrigues as a part of the package moving out with Ristolainen.  There isn't room for Rodrigues on the 4th line (Okposo is untradable & doesn't fit higher up) & Sheary doesn't fit a 4th line role.

Suppose a team could want Vesey over either but would be mildly surprised if the new toy goes away again before ever getting taken out of the box.

On 7/5/2019 at 7:01 PM, E4 ... Ke2 said:

A debate about the sabres #2C potentially not being up to the task and the GM does not seem to have a back-up plan?  Let me check my command history.

$ cd /opt/sabres/

$ vim  sabres_centre_debates.2009

:%s/Owner B. Thomas Golisano/Owner Terry and Kim Pegula/g

:1

:%s/GM Darcy Regier/GM Jason Botterill/g

:1

:%s/2C 19 Tim Connolly/2C 37 Casey Mittlestadt/g

:wq

$ diff -w sabres_centre_debates.2009 sabres_centre_debates.2019

$

This is old (and I think you may have quit), but I have to salute your VI humor, even if you forgot to git push and are a psychopath for keeping user data in /opt. :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

Been looking at CapFriendly to see what other teams have as a 2C or 3C option.  Some of these have been discussed but wanted to bring this thread back around as I believe it is very important to this years success.

Nashville-  Some people have mentioned Turris and how he had a good World Cup for Canada.  To me even if he has success for the next couple of years he is not the age we want (29) and still has 5 years left on a contract at $6 AAV.   To me the better option is Bonino.  Veteran guy who has two years left at $4 million AAV.  Very good at defensive end. Plays PK and could center a shut down 3rd line.  Gives Sabres another option on d zone face offs besides Larsson. Also has averaged 15 goals for the past six years.

****Nashville trade option- Casey Nelson and 2021 4th pick for Bonino.

Dallas- With the addition of Pavelski to center the second line behind Seguin could Radek Faska be available? Big center who has averaged 15 goals the past 3 years.  Good on face-offs and PK.  Only 25 and an RFA after this year.  Would be a good battle between him and Mitts for 2C/ 3C.  Dallas also intrigues me as a partner in Risto trade since they are thin are right side behind Klingberg.  Salaries would have to off set because they are close to limit as well.  

****Dallas trade option- Risto  and Elie to Dallas for Faska and Comeau. Buffalo retains $400,000 of Risto salary.

Pittsburgh-  Nick Bjugstad is someone that I also believe can be good at 2C or 3C.  Signed for two years before becoming an UFA.  Could be a place holder until Cozens comes up in a couple of years. 

****Pittsburgh trade option-  ERod and 2021 4th rd pick for Bjugstad.

Looking for feed back on which option Sabres fans like most?

15 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Been looking at CapFriendly to see what other teams have as a 2C or 3C option.  Some of these have been discussed but wanted to bring this thread back around as I believe it is very important to this years success.

Nashville-  Some people have mentioned Turris and how he had a good World Cup for Canada.  To me even if he has success for the next couple of years he is not the age we want (29) and still has 5 years left on a contract at $6 AAV.   To me the better option is Bonino.  Veteran guy who has two years left at $4 million AAV.  Very good at defensive end. Plays PK and could center a shut down 3rd line.  Gives Sabres another option on d zone face offs besides Larsson. Also has averaged 15 goals for the past six years.

Dallas- With the addition of Pavelski to center the second line behind Seguin could Radek Faska be available? Big center who has averaged 15 goals the past 3 years.  Good on face-offs and PK.  Only 25 and an RFA after this year.  Would be a good battle between him and Mitts for 2C/ 3C.  Dallas also intrigues me as a partner in Risto trade since they are thin are right side behind Klingberg.  Salaries would have to off set because they are close to limit as well.  

****Dallas trade option- Risto  and Elie to Dallas for Faska and Comeau. Buffalo retains $400,000 of Risto salary.

Pittsburgh-  Nick Bjugstad is someone that I also believe can be good at 2C or 3C.  Signed for two years before becoming an UFA.  Could be a place holder until Cozens comes up in a couple of years. 

Bjugstad would be my favorite option, I do not believe that EROD and a 4th gets it done however. 

8 hours ago, sweetlou said:

These guys all have nearly the same numbers as Mitts and played on better teams......if Mitts has to "battle" for the 2C spot, than none of these guys are worth the trouble, JMO.

If I had to pick one of them it would likely be Bjugstad.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.