Who Are the 2C and 3C Candidates Internal and External?

GASabresIUFAN

We all agree that without improved play from our 2nd line center, this team is going no where fast.  If Casey is pencilled in as the 2C, Jbot probably needs to strength the 3C just in case Casey proves not ready.

The question now is whether or not Jbot is satisfied with his internal candidates for the job to carry the load or is he actually searching for external help. 

So far we haven’t seen any attempt to improve that position with an external candidate.  That doesn’t mean if won’t happen, after all Skinner was acquired August 2nd 2018, but after the recent flurry of trades and signings, most of the obvious (read good) candidates are gone such as Hayes, Duchene, Galchenyuk among others.

If he sticks with the internal candidates, I think the fan base is going to be pissed, but that maybe his plan.

Internal Candidates

1) Casey Mittelstadt - Casey “failed” this test last year and frankly it was unfair of Jbot to place him in that position.  Still he is very talented, has an NHL season under his belt, and if Jbot puts Reinhart on his line he may have a much better talent to play with then last year by a country mile.  

2) Arttu Routsalainen - Smallish center had a breakout year last year in Finland with 21 goals.  He’ll be 22 in late Oct and has 4 years of pro experience in Finland, but none in NA.  He needs to return to Finland if he doesn’t make the Sabres.  Camp will be huge for him.  How quickly will he adjust to NA hockey?

3) Erod - He is a wonderful utility forward, but is really best as a middle six winger.  If he has to center a line I’d prefer he anchors the 3rd line

4) Rasmus Asplund - It took TM’s guy half a season to adjust to NA, but had an excellent 2nd half.  Likely would be best served with another year in Rochester and Jbot is unlikely to rush him.

5) Dylan Cozens - Thumb surgery probably increases the odds against him making the Sabres next year, but he is an excellent talent.  2020-21 is much more likely.

6) Vladimir Sobotka - He stunk last year and somehow is still in the organization.  While I doubt he gets a shot at the 2C, I wouldn’t be surprised, but I be really unhappy, if he was in the pivot of the 3rd line.  Hopefully he finds himself in the press box come opening night.  This would mean that Jbot actually worked to fix the forward group.

7 & 8.) Larsson and Girgensons - Both have played center in the NHL. Both have prove they belong on the 4th line bringing energy, physical play and killing penalties.  Having either player in the top 9 is a step in the wrong direction.

External Candidates

1) Marcus Johansson - Utility forward is a UFA and has a history of concussions.  Listed primarily as a LW,  but has played center in the past.  Performance in Boston shows the skills are still there, but rumor mill says we wants 5 year deal at $5 mill per season.  Right now he has priced himself out of a job.

2) Ryan Dzingel - 27 year old had a breakout season with 26 goals and 56 points.  Has improved in all three NHL seasons and plays LW and Center.  Turned down a 5 year extension from Ottawa mid season (5 yrs 20 mill), but so far hasn’t signed anywhere.  I think he’s our best option.

3) Kyle Turris - Will be 30 in August and has 5 years at $6 mil per season left on his deal. Had a terrible season last year leading to speculation that his skill are fading.  Probably the cheapest trade acquisition.

4) Nick Bjugstad - the rumor mill says Pitts wants to trade him to create cap space.  He’s 26 and has 2 43+ pt seasons in recent years, but had an off year last season.  $4.1 mill cap hit for the next 2 years.  Plays both C and RW which we need.  I wouldn’t mind seeing him acquired.

5 - 7) Tampa Bay centers - TB needs cap space, but after trading Miller away, they have guys who could help us, but all have NTC except Corelli, who I doubt they’’’ trade since he is still on his ELC.  Tyler Johnson (28 5 years at 5 mill left on his deal) and Yanni Gourde (27, 6 years left at 5.16) both fit our needs, but would they waive their NTC to come here.  Would you?

8.) Other UFAs - Derrick Brassard and Brian Boyle - older proven players better suited for 3C duties, but veteran presence couldn’t hurt.  One or both could be had for a 1yr deal.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We all agree that without improved play from our 2nd line center, this team is going no where fast.  If Casey is pencilled in as the 2C, Jbot probably needs to strength the 3C just in case Casey proves not ready.

The question now is whether or not Jbot is satisfied with his internal candidates for the job to carry the load or is he actually searching for external help. 

So far we haven’t seen any attempt to improve that position with an external candidate.  That doesn’t mean if won’t happen, after all Skinner was acquired August 2nd 2018, but after the recent flurry of trades and signings, most of the obvious (read good) candidates are gone such as Hayes, Duchene, Galchenyuk among others.

If he sticks with the internal candidates, I think the fan base is going to be pissed, but that maybe his plan.

Internal Candidates

1) Casey Mittelstadt - Casey “failed” this test last year and frankly it was unfair of Jbot to place him in that position.  Still he is very talented, has an NHL season under his belt, and if Jbot puts Reinhart on his line he may have a much better talent to play with then last year by a country mile.  

2) Arttu Routsalainen - Smallish center had a breakout year last year in Finland with 21 goals.  He’ll be 22 in late Oct and has 4 years of pro experience in Finland, but none in NA.  He needs to return to Finland if he doesn’t make the Sabres.  Camp will be huge for him.  How quickly will he adjust to NA hockey?

3) Erod - He is a wonderful utility forward, but is really best as a middle six winger.  If he has to center a line I’d prefer he anchors the 3rd line

4) Rasmus Asplund - It took TM’s guy half a season to adjust to NA, but had an excellent 2nd half.  Likely would be best served with another year in Rochester and Jbot is unlikely to rush him.

5) Dylan Cozens - Thumb surgery probably increases the odds against him making the Sabres next year, but he is an excellent talent.  2020-21 is much more likely.

6) Vladimir Sobotka - He stunk last year and somehow is still in the organization.  While I doubt he gets a shot at the 2C, I wouldn’t be surprised, but I be really unhappy, if he was in the pivot of the 3rd line.  Hopefully he finds himself in the press box come opening night.  This would mean that Jbot actually worked to fix the forward group.

7 & 8.) Larsson and Girgensons - Both have played center in the NHL. Both have prove they belong on the 4th line bringing energy, physical play and killing penalties.  Having either player in the top 9 is a step in the wrong direction.

External Candidates

1) Marcus Johansson - Utility forward is a UFA and has a history of concussions.  Listed primarily as a LW,  but has played center in the past.  Performance in Boston shows the skills are still there, but rumor mill says we wants 5 year deal at $5 mill per season.  Right now he has priced himself out of a job.

2) Ryan Dzingel - 27 year old had a breakout season with 26 goals and 56 points.  Has improved in all three NHL seasons and plays LW and Center.  Turned down a 5 year extension from Ottawa mid season (5 yrs 20 mill), but so far hasn’t signed anywhere.  I think he’s our best option.

3) Kyle Turris - Will be 30 in August and has 5 years at $6 mil per season left on his deal. Had a terrible season last year leading to speculation that his skill are fading.  Probably the cheapest trade acquisition.

4) Nick Bjugstad - the rumor mill says Pitts wants to trade him to create cap space.  He’s 26 and has 2 43+ pt seasons in recent years, but had an off year last season.  $4.1 mill cap hit for the next 2 years.  Plays both C and RW which we need.  I wouldn’t mind seeing him acquired.

5 - 7) Tampa Bay centers - TB needs cap space, but after trading Miller away, they have guys who could help us, but all have NTC except Corelli, who I doubt they’’’ trade since he is still on his ELC.  Tyler Johnson (28 5 years at 5 mill left on his deal) and Yanni Gourde (27, 6 years left at 5.16) both fit our needs, but would they waive their NTC to come here.  Would you?

8.) Other UFAs - Derrick Brassard and Brian Boyle - older proven players better suited for 3C duties, but veteran presence couldn’t hurt.  One or both could be had for a 1yr deal.

If Bots heads into this season thinking Mitts is our 2C, we are in deep trouble.  I don't think he does.

There isn't anyone on our roster who can fill that spot, regardless of the "potential" they bring.  We need a proven scorer at that position.  FA wise, Dzingel is the best choice, but he is probably asking too much, so Bots is waiting to see if his price will come down.  More likely, I see us obtaining a 2C via trade, with Risto and/or Nylander going the other way.

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart

Vesey- ????? - Olafsson

Sheary- Mitts- Okposo

If both Eichel and Reinhart can build on their 2019 seasons, and we can get a guy at 2C who can score 25 goals/55-60 points, and our Dmen learn how to get the puck out of our frickn zone, we'll be in good shape.

I agree that Jbot will bring in another forward or two,  but I doubt it’s going to be a classic 50-60 pt 2nd line center.  Jbot’s hint of this is that he wants Reinhart to anchor the 2nd line from RW.  

Instead, I can see Jbot bringing in a good 3rd line 2 way center and create a defensive line geared toward stopping the other team’s top line.  That might mean someone like Brian Boyle being signed for that job.  

Maybe something like this

Skinner Eichel Vesey

Olofsson Mitts Reinhart

Sheary Boyle ERod

Girgensons Larsson Okposo

If this were up to me, I’d acquire Bjugstad and Dzingel and try both at 2nd line center, but if Mitts proves ready, then slide one to wing and one to 3rd line center.

A top 9 of Skinner, Jack, Sam, Mitts, Olofsson, Dzingel, Bjugstad , ERod,  Vesey and Sheary would be a formidable group.  Nylander, Routsalainen and Thompson would have to earn their way on to the team.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Internal Candidates

External Candidates

You left out Jumbo Joe....not saying he would come here, ya' know with the "because it's Buffalo" and all that.

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Internal Candidates

External Candidates

Excellent stuff here.  I hadn't thought of Bjugstad.  I'd be happy with him and that is the kind of move that is plausible and that I think JB is going to end up making.  Wouldn't want to give up Risto for him though.

12 hours ago, dejeanerret said:

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart

Vesey- ????? - Olafsson

Sheary- Mitts- Okposo

Two things I don't want to see. First, us being a one line hockey team so I hope we can split up Sam and Jack. Second, Casey being expected to be #2 right behind Jack. He's just not ready for that. So for me, 2C is still a huge problem and we NEED an FA added to the roster to fill that spot for a year or two and allow proper development.

Without a new 2C I see problems but I also don't see an FA coming here now so unless that changes (Risto trade?) I'd like to try Vesey Eichel Olafsson in camp. Probably won't work but you never know. Maybe it's what Vesey needs to recapture his promise.   Then Sam can add some experience to Mitts and we can see what Skinner brings without Jack's help.

Personally, I'd overpay Ferland to sign (unless he signed elsewhere, I'm usually a day or more behind) and have Vesey on a third line.

Skinner - Eichel - Olafsson

Ferland - Mitts - Reinhart

Vesey - E Rod - ?

I give up, it's got holes no matter how I spin this.  

Dzingel and Bjugstad are the only 2 I think are reasonable ideas from the outside.  Boyle could work if we just need a competent NHL-level presence.  Either that or we try something like

Skinner-Mittlestadt-Reinhart

Olofsson-Eichel-Vesey

Sheary-Asplund-Rodrigues

Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

Wilson-Smith-Nylander

Elie-Sobotka-Thompson

I think this is 4 competent NHL lines that can makes the playoffs if the can stay healthy, but the margin is slim.

I think Botteril needs to tell Terry Pegula to fly wherever Ryan Dzingel lives and make a pitch for him to come here because I don't see many other options, he scored 26 goals and 30 assists between Columbus and Ottawa last season, he's exactly what we need right now and there's nobody internally who can take on that position imo.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Sabres might be hard pressed to actually acquire a 2/3 C and may have to sit tight for part of the year.  I am betting they will be better than last year with the accession full time of Oloffson and the D playing better but unless Thompson, Nylander and Asplund all take the next step the Sabres won't be that much better.  Maybe by trade deadline teams desperate for D will start inquiring and be willing to trade for one... but till then we will all be sitting on our hands.  It could happen that something shakes out later this summer, but I am betting not til then at the earliest.  

• Like (+1) 1

There may still be a way to get Stastny from Vegas, a cap relief for them. He has two years left on his contract and is a true #2C.

Winnipeg has a need for D, the Sabres have a surplus. I wonder if a guy like Roslovic could be a 2C. He has played some wing becuase he is stuck at centre behind Scheifele, Little and Lowry. He is only one year older than Mitts and a few more NHL games.

Jets are also in cap trouble so Bryan Little could be pried out for them to sign Laine and Connor. Little has 4 years left at $5M plus. They may be ready to let Roslovic be a cheaper option for their 2C position.

18 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Internal Candidates

External Candidates

You forgot Brayden Point. He's an RFA and I'd offer sheet him asap. 

I just feel we need to bring in a 2C and. another top 6 forward to make a stride forward. Some of the home grown youth could step up but counting solely on other development of  Mitts, Routs, Nylander, and Tage is a bad plan.    

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, French Collection said:

There may still be a way to get Stastny from Vegas, a cap relief for them. He has two years left on his contract and is a true #2C.

Winnipeg has a need for D, the Sabres have a surplus. I wonder if a guy like Roslovic could be a 2C. He has played some wing becuase he is stuck at centre behind Scheifele, Little and Lowry. He is only one year older than Mitts and a few more NHL games.

Jets are also in cap trouble so Bryan Little could be pried out for them to sign Laine and Connor. Little has 4 years left at $5M plus. They may be ready to let Roslovic be a cheaper option for their 2C position.

I think Vegas really needs Stastny in order to remain Cup contenders, so I doubt that they are considering moving him.

Little could be a decent 2/3 C but that contract is BAD.  $5+ for 4 more seasons, ages 32-35.  He could crap out at any time.

Roslovic would be nice get as part of a bigger trade.  He isn’t proven at C though and I don’t know if he really would be a solution.

Just now, Curt said:

I think Vegas really needs Stastny in order to remain Cup contenders, so I doubt that they are considering moving him.

Little could be a decent 2/3 C but that contract is BAD.  $5+ for 4 more seasons, ages 32-35.  He could crap out at any time.

Roslovic would be nice get as part of a bigger trade.  He isn’t proven at C though and I don’t know if he really would be a solution.

Roslovic and Ehlers for a Risto + package could work. If Roslovic can't handle 2C then we are back to Mitts.

I think Little would be a solid 2C for a year and then drop to 3C for a year or two. He may be easier to get because of that contract.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

How in the heck is it possible we are 5 years into the “rebuild” and we don’t have a #2C on this roster???? Wow has this team been grossly mismanaged. 

I think JBOT thought Berglund would be the 2C placeholder till Mitts was ready.  Didn't quite work out that way.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

How in the heck is it possible we are 5 years into the “rebuild” and we don’t have a #2C on this roster???? Wow has this team been grossly mismanaged. 

Umm, is the answer "because 4 years in they traded away the #2C?"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I think JBOT thought Berglund would be the 2C placeholder till Mitts was ready.  Didn't quite work out that way.

Yeah that was never going to work.  He’s not a 2 C...

45 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yeah I know... my question was rhetorical in nature.  That was as bad of move as I’ve ever seen.  

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Yes, yes it is.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Or is it "Mittelstadt is/will be our 2C"

Hopefully that mistake isn't repeated.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.