Random speculation about a trade with Tampa

sweetlou

Tampa looking to shed salary as they only have $8million left under cap and only 8 forwards signed. 

If they sign Point at around 8.5-9 million a year they still need to shed salary to get other players signed.

If you are Botts who fits better on the Sabres?

Johnson- Second line center, signed for 5 more years at AAV of $5mil.  He is 28 and contract expires when he is 33 years old.  Could slide to wing when Mitts or Cozens develops.

Gourde- Played third line center but could be our second line center.  Signed for 6 more years at AAV of $5.16mil. He is 27 and contract expires when he is 33 years old. 

Killorn- LW power forward. Signed for 4 more years at AAV of $4.45 mil.  He is 29 and contract expires when he is 33 years old.

Palat- plays either wing. Signed for 3 more years at AAV of $5.3 mil. He is 28 and contract expires when he is 31 years old.  

I believe Botts should go after Johnson and Killorn.. Offer Nylander, Sheary, and rights to Larsson.  Tampa gets two players under contract and sheds $5.5 million in contracts in order to sign rest of the players they want.

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

Tampa looking to shed salary as they only have $8million left under cap and only 8 forwards signed. 

If they sign Point at around 8.5-9 million a year they still need to shed salary to get other players signed.

Johnson- Second line center, signed for 5 more years at AAV of $5mil.  He is 28 and contract expires when he is 33 years old.  Could slide to wing when Mitts or Cozens develops.

Gourde- Played third line center but could be our second line center.  Signed for 6 more years at AAV of $5.16mil. He is 27 and contract expires when he is 33 years old. 

Killorn- LW power forward. Signed for 4 more years at AAV of $4.45 mil.  He is 29 and contract expires when he is 33 years old.

Palat- plays either wing. Signed for 3 more years at AAV of $5.3 mil. He is 28 and contract expires when he is 31 years old.  

I believe Botts should go after Johnson and Killorn.. Offer Nylander, Sheary, and rights to Larsson.  Tampa gets two players under contract and sheds $5.5 million in contracts in order to sign rest of the players they want.

why would Sabres offer so much if they HAVE to shed salary?  sounds more like a Skinner deal, a couple of draft picks and a mid range prospect.

Well, I can't see them taking salary back if they are looking to clear salary. So I'd surmise a prospect (Like Nylander perhaps) who is cost controlled and under their control for a bit and some draft pick capital and maybe Johnson could be had I would imagine. 

Admittedly, I did not see Johnson play center, only wing for the minimal games I've seen of Tampa over these past 5 years, probably 3 dozen or so games in all, so it's not like I have any room to speak. But if he does play center I would be interested in just this type of player, decent contract, comes out of it as the "aging downturn" time frame really rears it's ugly head for so many players and he looks to be a contributor on the offensive side. Not sure of his defensive center abilities, so I'm going to leave it to all of you to educate me a bit on Johnson's pros and cons, since, once again, I'm hardly really familiar with him.

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Every Tampa Player you suggested has a No Trade Clause. The Sabres were not able to attract either Donskoi or Nyquist in UFA. I doubt any of those four waive to come here. 

Also John Vogl mentioned that the Risto to Tampa link will not die. Any trade with them will most likely include him.

BTW Gourde would be the best target out of the bunch 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Every Tampa Player you suggested has a No Trade Clause. The Sabres were not able to attract either Donskoi or Nyquist in UFA. I doubt any of those four waive to come here. 

Also John Vogl mentioned that the Risto to Tampa link will not die. Any trade with them will most likely include him.

Not only do the aforementioned have NTC, so do Hedman and McDonagh.  Assuming your not going to move on from little Nikita (only one without a NMC/NTC), they have roughly $55m tied up in 8 players who seemingly cannot be moved.  Point is going to receive at least 8-9m with a 5 year, which would put them over the cap by $1m with only 9 forwards.   Something has to give.   I think Johnson is the best target as he could easily slot into our top line with Jack, and allow the Sam driving his own line, and command Less of a return  than Gourde. 

• nfreeman changed the title to Random speculation about a trade with Tampa
4 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

This is Tampa's biggest problem.  They can't move the following players/cap hits without permission:

• Stamkos - 8.5
  • Hedman - 7.875
  • McDonough - 6.75
  • Palat - 5.3
  • Gourde - 5.16
  • Johnson - 5
  • Killorn 4.45

That leaves the following available to move:

• Kucherov - 9.5
  • Vasilievskiy - 3.5
  • Coburn - 1.7
  • Rutta - 1.3
  • McIlhenney - 1.3
  • Domingue - 1.1
  • Sergachev - 895k
  • Schenn - 700k
  • Witkowski - 700k
  • Cirelli - 730k
  • Joseph - 730k
  • Martel - 700k
  • Cernak - 700k

As noted they have 3 guys to sign

• Brayden Point
  • Adam Erne
  • Cedric Paquette

The other problem they have is all those guys with NTCs also have multiple years of term left and they have Vasilevskiy, Sergachev, Cirelli, Joesph, Cernak and Martel all due for RFA status next year with some of them due BIG raises so this situation only gets worse for them next year if they sign Point to big dollars now.  Point wouldn't be my target.  They won't give him up.  My target would be Cirelli becaue there is no way for them to keep both of them past next year.  The problem for Tampa is that in order to free up any real space you either need to have a guy waive his NTC or trade Vasilievskiy now before he demands 10M per year next year to match Bob.  They don't have any straight up cap dumps at their disposal.  Callahan on LTIR helps them but he has a 16 team NMC as well.

I think they end up dealing both Paquette and Erne for futures, replacing them from within, deal Domingue for a pick to shed the 1.1, squeeze Point into the space they have left and let it ride for a year.

Excellent breakdown.

It's hard to see any of those big-dollar guys waiving a NTC to jump from a Cup contender in warm, tax-free Florida to a chronically crappy team in a wintry, high-tax state.  But stranger things have happened.

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I could see them wanting out of Tampa if they know they can get more playing time elsewhere.  Tampa is so stacked and have been paying players at good value contracts.  They have drafted well and even found undrafted UFA's who have become good players.  

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Excellent breakdown.

It's hard to see any of those big-dollar guys waiving a NTC to jump from a Cup contender in warm, tax-free Florida to a chronically crappy team in a wintry, high-tax state.  But stranger things have happened.

3 hours ago, sweetlou said:

I could see them wanting out of Tampa if they know they can get more playing time elsewhere.  Tampa is so stacked and have been paying players at good value contracts.  They have drafted well and even found undrafted UFA's who have become good players.  

See Freeman’s Post. 

These players took team friendly deals in return for NTC, leaving a perennial Cup Contender to play for a team that consistently drafts in the Top Ten does not sound like an attractive option.  

When your name goes on the cup, your Average Total Ice Time is not in parenthesis next to it. 

As mentioned in the Speculation Thread Calgary, Winnipeg in addition to Tampa are teams to look at, 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.