Open Club  ·  18 members

The Auto Club

Who Does Their Own Mechanical Work?

ubkev

8 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I’ve considered that but engine temp is spot on and the fans act normally if I’ve started the truck without the hvac powered on inside the cab. If I turn the power to hvac on the fans instantly pop on high and stay that way even if I power off the hvac. It seems to me that it has to be linked to hvac somehow or I’d have the problem with it off as well. I get what the engineers were thinking by having the fans run at high if the pressure on the a/c high line side was too high, try to cool things down quickly. That’s why I went for the a/c pressure switch. I guess I could actually have too much pressure in that line but I don’t understand how that could happen in these cold temps. Am I not thinking the right direction here? Would the condenser line have too much pressure if it was hot and running too much and not when it’s off and cold out?

As I have a 2010 F150 I looked into this a little, incase it happens to me. Seems to be a common problem with no real fix. Some say they replaced the canister purge valve (whatever that is), replace fuse #27, low coolant levels, air in the lines, etc. Good luck.

I replaced a front hub assembly today on my 4wd truck. Took me two and a half hours from beginning of setup to end of clean up. Jacked it up and cribbed the whole front end on some 6x8 hardwood timbers I got from an Amish dude. They are the left over stubs from the railroad ties he makes. Used a small electric impact for the little stuff but the 1/2 drive wouldn’t fit so I used wrenches and an eight pound hammer to break the caliper bolts and the four hub bolts. The bad shoulder made it tough to do. Getting the bolts to torque specs was painful and putting the giant 18” all terrain tire back on was like climbing a mountain so I left a 6x8 timber underneath for safety and used the jack to lower the truck so I could sort of shimmy it on. The only real problem I encountered was with the cv joint spindle nut dust cap. It hole in the new hub for it was oh so slightly bigger so the cap wouldn’t stay in. I ended up cutting a tapered Ironworkers 3/4 bull pin in just the right spot so I would pound the cap onto it with a soft mallet and stretch it a bit. Worked perfectly. The cap is as snug as it was on the old hub.......Ironworker Powers, ACTIVATE!