Any Team noticeably better or worse?

GASabresIUFAN

46 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Winnipeg's defense is highly suspect after the purge. I mean, if they plan on going in to the season with that Right Side (hint hint) they are in trouble.

What do you think gets a deal done to swap Risto (3 years left) & Ehlers (6 years left)? Considering the term we'd have to throw in more to sweeten it up? Lottery protected 2020 pick + nylander?

11 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

What do you think gets a deal done to swap Risto (3 years left) & Ehlers (6 years left)? Considering the term we'd have to throw in more to sweeten it up? Lottery protected 2020 pick + nylander?

I think Nylander for cost control, yea. Protected 2020? Sure, I'd do that deal. I'd want something else in return for that though, a future 3rd let's say. But ya, I'd pay that for 6 years of Ehlers at 6 mil. Well worth to in my opinion.

Just now, Scottysabres said:

I think Nylander for cost control, yea. Protected 2020? Sure, I'd do that deal. I'd want something else in return for that though, a future 3rd let's say. But ya, I'd pay that for 6 years of Ehlers at 6 mil. Well worth to in my opinion.

I suppose the question is, "is that good enough for winnipeg to make that trade?"

Just now, Mustache of God said:

I suppose the question is, "is that good enough for winnipeg to make that trade?"

I have thought about what Chacka's looking at with his team. You just have to figure he's just watched his defense evaporate in 3 months. I mean, Myers gone, Trouba gone, that right side has collapsed. He has to do something, and looking at contracts and ages of guys like Wheels, Buf and Little I would surmise he would pull the trigger knowing the window is now for the current construct of the forward ranks.

That'd be great is JBOT can swing a deal.

Skinner - Eichel - Ehlers

Oloffson - Mittlestat - Reinhart

Vesey - EROD - Sheary

Wilson - Larsson - Okposo

Girgensons, Thompson, and Sobtoka flit around somewhere in there...I don't know.

Personally I don't think we can pry Ehlers from them but who knows. 

3 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Vesey - EROD - Sheary

Girgensons, Thompson, and Sobtoka flit around somewhere in there...I don't know.

Well, we know something has to give with Buffalo's D, carrying 11 NHL caliber d men, even if roughly half are 5 to 7 pair position, isn't going to stand. Miller and Montour just brought in, don't see them moving. Bogo and Pilut on surgical recovery, don't see them moving. Looks like Risto, McCabe, Scandella and Hunwick to work with as trade material.

We'll see what Botterill does, but Ehlers.........we can dream here in Sabres land, at least, for a little while in the summer.

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I know Bob makes Florida better, but I don’t think Breadman makes the Rags a contender. Ottawa headed toward 31st overall.  Everyone seems to just be exchanging old bad deals for new ones.

Are the Sabres any closer to cutting the 20 point gap to making the playoffs and how many teams that didn't make the playoffs improved more than we did. NYR and Devils should be better. Monumental task ahead to make the playoffs.

9 hours ago, Derrico said:

You could argue Toronto got slightly worse.  Ron Hainsey moves on (he was playing pretty decent minutes for them even at that age), Gardner, and Marleau (not worth his cap hit but still was a contributor).  Then again, at this time last year I was pissed about the Tavares signing and they ended up exactly as they did the year before.  So who knows.

Their D is a disaster and I don't see how they can make it better without trading a top forward away.

New Jersey and New York won the lottery AND free agency imo. Dallas did ok, so did Florida. Not sure what Nashville will be now. San Jose lost a lot of players but that was inevitable as they put it all on their 3 D men.Columbus and Winnipeg also lost. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

10 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Are the Sabres any closer to cutting the 20 point gap to making the playoffs and how many teams that didn't make the playoffs improved more than we did. NYR and Devils should be better. Monumental task ahead to make the playoffs.

I don’t see Miller and Vessey making us much better, especially if Risto goes. 

If we are to cut the 20 point gap it will be mostly through better coaching and the players we have actually improving, and we need much better play from the goaltenders.  Someone from the group that includes Tage, Olofsson, Nylander needs to step up.  If we trade Risto we need to get a very good player, preferably a 2C,  that can help us right now.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

On 7/1/2019 at 3:32 PM, Derrico said:

You could argue Toronto got slightly worse.  Ron Hainsey moves on (he was playing pretty decent minutes for them even at that age), Gardner, and Marleau (not worth his cap hit but still was a contributor).  Then again, at this time last year I was pissed about the Tavares signing and they ended up exactly as they did the year before.  So who knows.

Hainsey reached legendary TRpm status last season.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:15 PM, klos1963 said:

You'll be surprised how much difference a decent coach can make.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/1/2019 at 10:28 PM, Mustache of God said:

Vesey - EROD - Sheary

Any lineup with Mitts as 2C is not going to provide a big improvement overall.  We need to bring in a legit 2C.   That will push Mitts to 3rd line and push Erod to 4th line   Then Erod needs to make Larsson expendable by beating him out and providing some scoring from the 4th line.

Do this and we improved our middle.  

Olofsson and Vessey should improve our 5v5 scoring.   We need Tage to figure out how to use his body and develop.  

On 7/1/2019 at 6:27 PM, Hoss said:

Dallas, Nashville, Florida, NY Rangers, New Jersey all got better.

San Jose, Columbus, Isles and Pittsburgh all got worse.

How did the Islanders get worse?

6 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Toronto was only marginally worse until they actually signed Ceci and told him to expect to be in their top-4. They got much worse. Kadri was a huge loss too

They got Tyson Barrie and Kerfoot. They got better

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Yeah, but Kerfoot has questionable character because he didn’t sign with the Devils. That locker room will be divided.

teehee.

Now that is trolling.

• Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

That’s a good question. I think I might’ve said that when Lehner left but before Varlamov signed. But I don’t think they’ll get the same goaltending this year.

On 7/3/2019 at 2:53 AM, pi2000 said:

Hainsey reached legendary TRpm status last season.

You'll be surprised how much difference a decent coach can make.

I do think that a decent coach just may make a BIG difference with the Sabres...as soon as Babs went to the leafs they immediately improved

On 7/3/2019 at 6:37 AM, WildCard said:

Kadri is better than Kerfoot and Barrie is not the big upgrade on Gardiner people are making him out to be. Barrie is a Risto-level D

Zaitsev and Ceci is a wash. Brown, Hainsey and Marleau aren’t key guys, but they are probably better than the guys replacing them. They didn’t have a first-rounder this year and they won’t have one next year. And they will have to pay Barrie next year.

I give Dubas credit for making some creative moves to buy himself some breathing space with his back against the wall but he still hasn’t solved the Marner situation.

He has, at best, held his ground, not gotten better.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.