Jimmy Vesey Traded to Sabres for 3rd in 2021

Brawndo

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

If players should be forced to sign with team that drafted them shouldn’t teams be forced to sign every one it drafts?

I always thought teams should sign their draftees and the ones that aren’t AHL ready should go to the ECHL and see what happens.

As things stand Vesey is the 3rd or 4th mostly proven goal scorer we have on the wing, correct? And Sam is almost certainly being counted on to anchor line 2, correct?

Why are people pencilling him in as a 3rd liner? To me it seems almost guaranteed he will be opposite Sam on line 2, unless Ralphie gives him a shot with Eichel. Highly-motivated UFA-to-be who can skate, drive to the net and finish? I don’t love the player, but I expect he’s going to have a career year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

As things stand Vesey is the 3rd or 4th mostly proven goal scorer we have on the wing, correct? And Sam is almost certainly being counted on to anchor line 2, correct?

Why are people pencilling him in as a 3rd liner? To me it seems almost guaranteed he will be opposite Sam on line 2, unless Ralphie gives him a shot with Eichel. Highly-motivated UFA-to-be who can skate, drive to the net and finish? I don’t love the player, but I expect he’s going to have a career year.

Other than Botterill calling him "top 9" no idea why he's penciled in on the 3rd line.  Barring another trade, expect him on one of Eichel's wings to start.

Just now, Taro T said:

Other than Botterill calling him "top 9" no idea why he's penciled in on the 3rd line.  Barring another trade, expect him on one of Eichel's wings to start.

Right now, given our depth at LW, he would have to be candidate to play the right side with Jack and Jeff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/2/2019 at 10:43 AM, darksabre said:

No it's not. Vesey, based on the info we have, is significantly worse as an all around hockey player. Some have noted that his linemates may factor into it, but I don't think that is the *only* reason he's so bad defensively. 

I'm going to start calling this the GAP argument 

goals assists points

I use it myself all the time but I think I'm going to stop because it makes me like bad hockey players and dislike good ones

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/3/2019 at 11:36 PM, dudacek said:

Why are people pencilling him in as a 3rd liner? To me it seems almost guaranteed he will be opposite Sam on line 2, unless Ralphie gives him a shot with Eichel. Highly-motivated UFA-to-be who can skate, drive to the net and finish? I don’t love the player, but I expect he’s going to have a career year.

If Vesey is 2LW, I'd like a big center acquisition. If that doesn't happen and Mitts or a small acquisition (Turris, your homeboy?) plays 2C, I'd really like a Risto for Ehlers type of thing to hold down that LW. two great wingers and an unproven/lesser center, or Vesey with Sam and a very nice center. 

If it's

Skinner - Jack - xxx
Vesey - Mitts/Turris/Wennberg/something - Reinhart
Sheary Olofsson ERod KO Larry etc etc etc 

then we in trouble 

I would have never given up an asset to add Jimmy Vesey to my team. But given that Rags fans were talking Rodrigues/roster players/even McCabe coming back, I'm not really upset that we gave up a third two drafts from now, so whatever. Hope he works out for us. Not sure I like the identity of the third line we're going to end up seeing here and don't really want him in the top six

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I would have never given up an asset to add Jimmy Vesey to my team. But given that Rags fans were talking Rodrigues/roster players/even McCabe coming back, I'm not really upset that we gave up a third two drafts from now, so whatever. Hope he works out for us. Not sure I like the identity of the third line we're going to end up seeing here and don't really want him in the top six

I've definitely got the feeling that we are looking at shoring up the wingers to get appropriate talent level on the wings and the centers are going to be what they were last season.  My best guess is that Botterill made a value judgement that getting a 2C is too expensive for his plans and so we are going to get wings instead because the value is there.  And that means Casey is going to get a chance at 2C again with better players on the wing, and our 3rd line is going to be underwhelming at center as well.

It's not Roy, Hecht, Gaustad bad, but it's going to be thin.  At some point a center is going to miss games and it is going to be ugly.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I've definitely got the feeling that we are looking at shoring up the wingers to get appropriate talent level on the wings and the centers are going to be what they were last season.  My best guess is that Botterill made a value judgement that getting a 2C is too expensive for his plans and so we are going to get wings instead because the value is there.  And that means Casey is going to get a chance at 2C again with better players on the wing, and our 3rd line is going to be underwhelming at center as well.

It's not Roy, Hecht, Gaustad bad, but it's going to be thin.  At some point a center is going to miss games and it is going to be ugly.

By ugly, do you Sobotka ugly?

• spndnchz featured this topic
  • 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI EVG the last two seasons (Thanks for bringing this up today Jbot)

Vesey, 16 and 16

Donskoi 13 and 13.  

We need an entirely new second line                                    April

We need at least a 2C and a 2RW

We just need a 2RW

Ok we got Jimmy Vesey but he's not that good

Ok we got Jimmy Vesey and he is that good                      August 

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.