Jimmy Vesey Traded to Sabres for 3rd in 2021

Brawndo

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

It's not what he did, it's how he did it.   Stringing NSH along.. lying to Poile that he was going to sign, which precluded NSH from trading him before the deadline, and then going back on his word.... just because he had a childhood dream to play for the NYR, and saw a way to do it even it meant disrespecting the process...  the dream of playing the NHL, which NSH had given him by investing resources in his development, wasn't good enough for Jimmy boy. 

And I'll bet dollars to donuts that Vesey landing in BUF is the league's way of righting the ship, sending a message to be heard loud and clear.     And what's Vesey going to do?  Refuse the trade?   He'd never play again.     

So, when a team buys a player out, basically reneging on a signed contract, doing something they are allowed to do within the CBA, that’s fine. But a player, exercising his rights is not? What about Drake Caligula? Buffalo had him to their development camp two or three years. Is it alright that he signed with someone else? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

As a former player (who turned down an offer to play pro to finish school), I had many friends and teammates that went on to play pro hockey and a select few at the highest level.    The NHL is not just a regular job.   It's an exclusive club.    You grow up dreaming just to get the chance to play 1 shift at that level.  It's an absolute honor when a team shows interest and invests in you, using draft capital, investing developmental resources over many years; training, dev camps, time, money, video, personnel, etc... to help you develop as a player so you can realize your dream, all on their dime.     

What Vesey did to Nashville and David Poile was downright disgraceful.   Vesey even told Poile that he was going to sign after the season.   Poile made several trips to meet with Vesey face-to-face, but instead of signing with the team that took a chance on him and invested years of time/money/resources in his development, he lied just so he could make a selfish decision.   

Did the CBA give him that opportunity?   Sure it did.    He didn't break any rules.      

Did Murray make a smart move by trading a 3rd for his rights when they knew he wanted to become an UFA?    Probably not, but he took a chance.      

However, what Vesey did to NSH was dishonorable and selfish, and speaks volumes about his character.      He's the kind of guy who steals your girlfriend and feels no remorse about it, because hey...  as long as he get what he wants, then that's all that matters. 

I actually agree with the bolded part above. That's not cool to mislead a team that has invested resources in you, and it speaks poorly to character. Let's hope it was a "youthful indiscretion."

I was looking at it purely from the Buffalo perspective, in which I think he bears no blame. He was very candid at that point about his intentions, and Buffalonians holding a grudge about that are being a little precious.

Edited by erickompositör72
  • Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, tom webster said:

So, when a team buys a player out, basically reneging on a signed contract, doing something they are allowed to do within the CBA, that’s fine. But a player, exercising his rights is not? What about Drake Caligula? Buffalo had him to their development camp two or three years. Is it alright that he signed with someone else? 

That's completely different.   The players don't run the league.... they don't get together form a team and then have a GM draft.     Vesey's case was that of the tail wagging the dog. 

30 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Doesn't the girl bear some blame here, too? 

Vesey is actually the girl in this analogy.      Nashville courted him for years, beginning years before the 2012 draft where they became engaged....   Nashville began paying for her clothes, make-up, cell phone bill, etc... supporting Mrs Vesey through thick and thin, building a strong relationship based friendship, trust and respect.   

Nashville was eager to tie the knot, but out of respect allowed her to finish her schooling after which she promised to settled down and start a family.   After graduation, David Poile, on bended knee, finally proposed to little miss Jimmy, only to be violently rejected finding himself in a tangled web of lies and deceit.   

Edited by pi2000

Except Nashville didn’t pay anything.  Or Vesey would have lost his NCAA eligibility.

The only sin here is that Vesey didn’t choose to sign a contract with the team that drafted him.  But he did it under negotiated provisions of the CBA.  Don’t think for a minute that those provisions weren’t carefully thought out and negotiated.  They owners are very aware of what they signed up for and agreed to. There is no lack of character associated with using the full negotiated provisions of a contract.  You’d be a sucker to not.

The provision allowing NCAA athletes to go to free agency after 4 years sucks in my opinion.  Mostly because teams draft and count on those kids being there and then.. poof... they go elsewhere.  But its not a character flaw to use those provisions.  Not taking advantage of your full contractual capabilites is foolish.  The right to go to free agency is just that.  A right.  A negotiated, deliberated right. And like any other right, negotiated or otherwise, what good is it if you don’t use it?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

That's completely different.   The players don't run the league.... they don't get together form a team and then have a GM draft.     Vesey's case was that of the tail wagging the dog. 

Vesey is actually the girl in this analogy.      Nashville courted him for years, beginning years before the 2012 draft where they became engaged....   Nashville began paying for her clothes, make-up, cell phone bill, etc... supporting Mrs Vesey through thick and thin, building a strong relationship based friendship, trust and respect.   

Nashville was eager to tie the knot, but out of respect allowed her to finish her schooling after which she promised to settled down and start a family.   After graduation, David Poile, on bended knee, finally proposed to little miss Jimmy, only to be violently rejected finding himself in a tangled web of lies and deceit.   

Of course it’s different because of your perspective. Which is it, is Vesey a bad boy because he supposedly lied or is he a bad boy because he is just an asset that had the nerve to use a loophole his superiors created against them?

36 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Of course it’s different because of your perspective. Which is it, is Vesey a bad boy because he supposedly lied or is he a bad boy because he is just an asset that had the nerve to use a loophole his superiors created against them?

Vasey is a girl in this story of deceit and betrayal! She just couldn't resist the bright lights of broadway 

What Vesey "did" to Nashville was not cool ...... but it's also not unheard of. Even our beloved Jim Kelly wasn't crazy about Buffalo

https://www.thesportster.com/entertainment/top-15-athletes-that-refused-to-play-for-the-team-that-drafted-them/

I hope (and expect) for Vesey to play one year here and then become a UFA and disappear........ hopefully we can get something more than a 3rd round pick at the deadline. More importantly I hope he doesn't infect "the room". 

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Correct. Because opinions that stray from GroupThink have to labeled as trolling, with the requisite PP slap from the higher-ups. Now, if you agree with it — THIS. Or... the thumby-thingie.

I wanted to get back to this.  “Trolling” has a negative connotation, and I get that given how frequently the word is thrown your way, you’d most likely react negatively to the label. But there is trolling, and then there is trolling.

We’ve had our share of posters that just wanted to watch the world burn.  Thankfully, they aren’t here long.  Pi isn’t one of them.  And neither are you.  At worst, Pi’s version of trolling is harmless.  It sure does spark conversation, which is the point of this forum.  And trolling can be productive when it is offered to elicit a genuine idea that isn’t getting consideration.  I think your contributions in this manner are underrated.  The curse of an iconoclast, I guess.

It is what it is.  And it is trolling.  I’m ok with it (not that it matters what I am ok with).  And I know I do it frequently enough.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, hsif said:

What Vesey "did" to Nashville was not cool ...... but it's also not unheard of. Even our beloved Jim Kelly wasn't crazy about Buffalo

https://www.thesportster.com/entertainment/top-15-athletes-that-refused-to-play-for-the-team-that-drafted-them/

I hope (and expect) for Vesey to play one year here and then become a UFA and disappear........ hopefully we can get something more than a 3rd round pick at the deadline. More importantly I hope he doesn't infect "the room". 

Or maybe he has matured as a person considering he didn’t set the world on fire with the Rags and is now looking forward to playing with friends Jack and Erod.  He then blossoms here, helps us win and then wants to stay. Like Jim Kelly for example.

Just a thought.

One other note: it’s not like teams don’t do players dirty periodically.  Read up on how the Avs treated native son and Denver product Will Butcher.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Question for the day.  Vesey is a Hobey Baker winner.  How many previous Hobey Baker winners have played for the Sabres?

Tom Kurvers

Robb Stauber

Brian Holzinger

Chris Drury

Ryan Miller

Jordan Leopold

Kevin Porter

Jack Eichel

Jimmy Vesey

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.