Jimmy Vesey Traded to Sabres for 3rd in 2021

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI

Vesey 26 - 240 NHL games 50g, 40a 90 pts - 2018-19 17g 18a 35pts

Sheary 27 - 262 NHL games 62g, 65a 127 pts - 2018-19 14g 20a 34pts

Donskoi 27 - 283 NHL games 44g, 77a 122 pts - 2018-19 14g 23a 37pts

Ferlund 27 - 321 NHL games 59g 70a 129 pts - 2018-19 17g 23a 40 pts.

Acquiring Vesey is almost exactly the same as signing Ferland and Donskoi.

Yeah not even remotely close

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

No it's not. Vesey, based on the info we have, is significantly worse as an all around hockey player. Some have noted that his linemates may factor into it, but I don't think that is the *only* reason he's so bad defensively. 

Except Donskoi signed for 4 years at nearly 4 mill per year.  Is he really worth that much more then Vesey?  He also has no upside.  Vesey with the right center scores 25+. 

Raw stats without context ain't ***** 

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Except Donskoi signed for 4 years at nearly 4 mill per year.  Is he really worth that much more then Vesey?  He also has no upside.  Vesey with the right center scores 25+. 

Yes he is.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Donskoi has a ton of upside, he had garbage TOI

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Pi being Pi and it seems that many veteran posters took what he said at face value.

Correct. Because opinions that stray from GroupThink have to labeled as trolling, with the requisite PP slap from the higher-ups. Now, if you agree with it — THIS. Or... the thumby-thingie.

14 minutes ago, darksabre said:

No it's not. Vesey, based on the info we have, is significantly worse as an all around hockey player. Some have noted that his linemates may factor into it, but I don't think that is the *only* reason he's so bad defensively. 

I can draw a straight line from Jimmy thinking he's worthy of Broadway and Jimmy thinking he's too good to play D. I mean, he's Jack's buddy, right?

And I agree with John Vogl the Trade was made after they missed out on Donskoi and Nyquist. 

The trade for Vesey, for example, had been discussed for weeks. Once the Sabres lost out on the free-agent forwards, they pulled the trigger. While Vesey is not the sniper fans envisioned when he was first acquired by Buffalo three years ago, the 6-foot-3 winger is a proven double-digit scorer who goes to the net.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Correct. Because opinions that stray from GroupThink have to labeled as trolling, with the requisite PP slap from the higher-ups. Now, if you agree with it — THIS. Or... the thumby-thingie.

I can draw a straight line from Jimmy thinking he's worthy of Broadway and Jimmy thinking he's too good to play D. I mean, he's Jack's buddy, right?

I ain't touching that lol 

31 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI

Do you value defensive play at all? 

Anyway, the fact we've hit 14 pages on Jimmy Vesey really just shows how much we need Botterill to do something of real consequence. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

If only the world could live by this motto... 

11 hours ago, WildCard said:

Still blows my mind people are surprised a young guy in his 20s wants to play in NYC instead of Buffalo. Man, I wonder why he'd choose that?

Good lord, I hated NYC.  The good news is that I have not been there in so long now that I might almost find it tolerable for a few minutes before I go back to hating it.

But, he did have a preference, and he was able to take action to help make that happen.  Now he's back in Buffalo, and will be able to go wherever he pleases after next season. Hopefully it results in an asset for the Sabres.. be it the player himself or something acquired via trade.

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Do you value defensive play at all? 

Anyway, the fact we've hit 14 pages on Jimmy Vesey really just shows how much we need Botterill to do something of real consequence. 

I value defense.  I’ve been arguing since last season to bring some D who actually play D.  It’s why I’m not a fan of the Miller acquisition.

However, I also realize that this team is desperate to add more scoring.   We basically gave up a 3rd to give Vesey a one year try out.  If he fits and scorers 30 we win. If he struggles and only scores 15, someone like Thompson or Nylander surpasses on the chart and we are all thrilled that one of our prospects is finally winning the job plus we get our 3rd back at the trade deadline by trading him to a contender looking for depth scoring. 

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI

Except it's not because Vesey is a one dimensional player and those comparables play a much more rounded game (plus they score at a better pace).

27 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Correct. Because opinions that stray from GroupThink have to labeled as trolling, with the requisite PP slap from the higher-ups.

What percentage of "opinions that stray from GroupThink" are labeled trolling?

What percentage of such trolling labels are issued from the mods?

What pecentage of such opinions occasion a PP slap (yuck) from the mods?

(Hint:  each is almost zero.)

As always:  if you don't want to get called out for trolling, then don't engage in trolling.

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

Except it's not because Vesey is a one dimensional player and those comparables play a much more rounded game (plus they score at a better pace).

Last I look scoring are goals.  Points include assists.  Donskoi and Ferland are better all-around players, but they aren’t better goal scorers. 

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Last I look scoring are goals.  Points include assists.  Donskoi and Ferland are better all-around players, but they aren’t better goal scorers. 

Sure.  But that wasn't your point.

54 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI

Here is what you said lol

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The only question remaining in this thread is whether GA surrenders or doubles down and continues to be bludgeoned by everyone else. 

Fancy stats are fun to look at any may give you some insight, but they are very dependent on linemates, competition and overall team.  Jbot wanted scoring and got some for very little cost in terms of cap, term and assets.  That’s his job.

Y’all seem to forget that I suggested Donskoi as a target at season’s end, but to sit here and say he’s worth a $16 mill investment for a 3rd line player that will always be a 3rd line player is a bit silly.  Vesey is a better goal scorer and a little younger and was available.  Jbot rightly went and got him.  We have no idea if Donskoi was even interested in coming here or whether he priced himself out of our consideration.  Both are/would have been improvements over what we had.  

I wonder what y’all will be saying when he scores 25 here next year?  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wonder what y’all will be saying when he scores 25 here next year?  

Depends on what his Def_xG looks like.  If it's not improved, it'll be like he nets one goal all season.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.