Jimmy Vesey Traded to Sabres for 3rd in 2021

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Yes. Among other items from the blog cited upthread:

When he played away from Howden, his xGA/60 at 5 on 5 went from a 3.03 to a 2.48 and his xGF% per 60 increased from 41.61% to a 51.26% according to Natural Stat Trick.

Yeah, but you said "adequate defensively".

Edited by ...
my binary was missing two bytes. whatever

Ok --- so he's a 2nd/3rd line tweener (hopefully 3rd for us) that replaces Pominville at half the cost. Essentially a winger for Mitts or ERod this year? Or our mysterious Risto-acquired 2C if that player can generate and carry on his own. For a 3rd round pick. Sure. I'd like a bit more sandpaper though and boardwork from our wingers.

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Ok --- so he's a 2nd/3rd line tweener (hopefully 3rd for us) that replaces Pominville at half the cost. Essentially a winger for Mitts or ERod this year? Or our mysterious Risto-acquired 2C if that player can generate and carry on his own. For a 3rd round pick. Sure. I'd like a bit more sandpaper though and boardwork from our wingers.

right. It's hard for me to interpret criticism of this move as anything other than disdain for Vesey himself

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

Because he chose Rangers over Buffalo? Wouldn't you have? 

On a 2 year entry level deal, two years ago? Absolutely he made the right move coming out of school. Now he's got the chance to pull a Skinner and up his value before becoming UFA. He's just got to deliver. Maaaaaybe he and Jack are really good together, and Vesey can keep up with Jack and Skinner as Pommers couldn't for an entire season. That opens up Reinhart to be the RW on his on line.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Lol.  2 3rd rd picks for Jack’s buddy.  He better score 30 as Jack’s wingman.

If he's slated for the first line Botterill needs to be fired immediately.

• Haha (+1) 1

This team can really use goal scoring period, whether 2nd, 3rd or 4th line.  Spending a 3rd round pick is a modest investment (Rangers were probably wanting more originally, but now they want Panarin so they cut loose Vesey to create more cap space).  Vesey will want to test the market again as a UFA, so he will be motivated to have a career year.  Buffalo can then maybe recoup the 3rd back from a team looking to add a rental at the trade deadline.

I think this is a good value move.

Edited by Carmel Corn
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ... said:

I don't think you slate him for 1st line. But those things will sort themselves out --- Kessel ended up a 3rd liner in Pittsburgh for offensive balance. The questions he needs to answer for the summer are: Does Vesey's addition as RW put Thompson in the AHL where he belongs? Does Vesey fill the Pominville gap? etc.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, ... said:

Doubt he's slated there, but unless at least 1 more RW gets brought in, he'll get a look.  And putting a 3rd liner on that line might just work.  It would at minimum put A 1st liner onto the 2nd line.

(And no, not advocating for it at all.  Just saying there might be far worse options.)

37 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I think your implication was obvious, and someone was just picking a fight ?

it wasn't obvious and I wasn't picking a fight.  He said he hoped he's grown up since then, obvious implication. He has since clarified that. Not a big deal.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

He plays LW, he'll be behind Olofsson and Skinner

Yeah -- I see he's listed as LW in some places, but he played RW for the Rangers last year. But yes, if he's LW -- he's behind Skinner and Olofsson, except Olofsson played RW in his callup last year to get top line fun. I treat wingers like TIE fighters --- just throw 'em wherever. But as a center, I fly in the middle of the formation... preferably within a trench.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.