Terry tells AP it's time to start winning

PASabreFan

33 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

https://pro32.ap.org/article/sabres-owner-pegula-tells-ap-its-time-start-winning

Couple pieces of news might have been broken here: the Pegulas might think the tank was a mistake. And Terry is from Manitoba!

And though he doesn't like the "t-word" tank, he has it confused with a rebuild.  The attempt at rebuild was what's (with less success than desired) gone on since Eichel was drafted.  But what came before that wasn't a rebuild, it was a teardown. 

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Does this mean Botterill is on the hot seat? Glowing comments about Ralph. Terry seems old-school, but I bet instead of a local print shop he'll use Vista Print for the new cards.

chelyabinsk meteor GIF

I think you are on to something.

I and several of my former co-workers have met members of the family downtown every now and then when I went to get lunch.  (They have the top floor of a tower near where I used to work.  [The building is the one in "Bruce Almighty" where fans were throwing things off the roof after the Sabres win the Stanley Cup.])

In many ways, they are very ordinary fans who, honestly, understand hockey strategy and tactics less than everyone on this board.  As such, they are probably as upset as we are at how the season transpired.

As successful business people, he must know that there was no excuse for not adjusting the long-term plans to capitalise on the early season success.  Because they are in a position to act on it, I imagine they expressed their displeasure to Botterill.  Hell, I wonder if players, media, and maybe even Housley mentioned it to him.

If so, JBot probably feels some heat from above.  Let us hope, among other things, that means Tage Thompson goes to Rochester and Vladimir Sobotka goes anywhere else.

Terry waited 8 years to finally come to the conclusion that it's time to start winning???  Terry says the most tone-deaf, stupid comments on a repeated basis.  Every time I hear the guy speak, the less and less confident I get that he'll ever "figure it out". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Tondas said:

Terry waited 8 years to finally come to the conclusion that it's time to start winning???  Terry says the most tone-deaf, stupid comments on a repeated basis.  Every time I hear the guy speak, the less and less confident I get that he'll ever "figure it out". 

Hey at least he finally realized that it's time to start trying to win. It would have been nice if he had decided that before he refused to pay Eeyore's bonus on 7/1/2018. That would have been a better time to start trying, but at least he's not going to wait until Dahlin is 30.

And on the bright side we've only wasted 4 years of Eichel! Yay us.

2 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

Hey at least he finally realized that it's time to start trying to win. It would have been nice if he had decided that before he refused to pay Eeyore's bonus on 7/1/2018. That would have been a better time to start trying, but at least he's not going to wait until Dahlin is 30.

And on the bright side we've only wasted 4 years of Eichel! Yay us.

OK.  I am calling you and Tondas out.

Sarcasm or not, you two are being deliberately, maliciously obtuse.  You both know full well that Pegula tried to win with the Rochester core.  You both know that he is referring to the slow recovery from The ****ing Tank.  For whatever reason, you seem to think that impugning his integrity or intelligence will assuage your feelings.

Blame him all you like.  But if I had heard this from my niece, I would have told my brother that I expect better from her before she enters kindergarten in the fall.

8 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

In my opinion, this article holds no significance whatsoever.

There's nothing new there, that's for sure.

At this point, I feel like I have a pretty clear idea of who and what the Pegulas are, as individuals and as a collective.

As for Terry, I just keep coming back to the saying that blind squirrels find chestnuts, too.

32 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

OK.  I am calling you and Tondas out.

Sarcasm or not, you two are being deliberately, maliciously obtuse.  You both know full well that Pegula tried to win with the Rochester core.  You both know that he is referring to the slow recovery from The ****ing Tank.  For whatever reason, you seem to think that impugning his integrity or intelligence will assuage your feelings.

Blame him all you like.  But if I had heard this from my niece, I would have told my brother that I expect better from her before she enters kindergarten in the fall.

Like it or not, phrasing matters, especially for the leaders of organizations. The time to start winning isn't now. The time to start winning was 4 goddamn years ago. If he wants to make stupid comments, his is well within his rights to do so, but I'm well within my rights to mock him for it. Maybe if I took a trip into the bongcloud it wouldn't bother me, but any way you slice it, the cheap years for Eichel are already gone and the clock is already ticking on Reinhart's and Dahlin's cheap years. As for his integrity, that ended for me when he went back on his promise to the fans in his introductory press conference.

Again, that's his prerogative. It's his money and his team, and he can do whatever the hell he wants with it, but I have the right to mock him for crummy decisions and his bumbling communication skills.

Edited by Drunkard
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Whether you agreed with the tank or not, you shouldn't have been under the illusion that the winning or even watchable hockey would start immediately upon ending trying to finish DFL.  Has the timeline for icing an at minimum competitive team been too long? Yes.  Does TP ultimately have to answer for hiring people who botched the overall rebuild? Yes. 

It's been said before, but honest tank supporters fully acknowledged that tanking as part of a rebuild could result in a downward spiral of losing that can prove difficult to pull out of..... and here we are.  

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

There's nothing new there, that's for sure.

At this point, I feel like I have a pretty clear idea of who and what the Pegulas are, as individuals and as a collective.

As for Terry, I just keep coming back to the saying that blind squirrels find chestnuts, too.

Sometimes blind squirrels find other blind squirrels and fall in love.

• Haha (+1) 2

I would actually interpret this as a way of saying JBot is on notice. If we are not substantially better next year he will fire JBot because it was time to start winning and JBot didn't get it done.  Either that or it's just the usual stuff to try to sell an idea that sells season tickets. All BS which or whatever. 

If I was knowledgeable about hockey and the NHL in general, but was shut off from everything about Sabres hockey in the last 7 years except for

hearing Terry Pegula's interviews and knowing he is our owner
hearing Jason Botterill's interviews and knowing he is our GM

I would almost certainly (correctly) put money on the Sabres being the franchise with the fewest total wins over that span of time (obviously not counting the stunning success story that is Vegas) 

I'm not saying their public speaking skills are the reason we are bad,  b   u    t

hard not to wince reading/hearing this stuff 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If I was knowledgeable about hockey and the NHL in general, but was shut off from everything about Sabres hockey in the last 7 years except for

hearing Terry Pegula's interviews and knowing he is our owner
hearing Jason Botterill's interviews and knowing he is our GM

I would almost certainly (correctly) put money on the Sabres being the franchise with the fewest total wins over that span of time (obviously not counting the stunning success story that is Vegas) 

I'm not saying their public speaking skills are the reason we are bad,  b   u    t

hard not to wince reading/hearing this stuff 

You would think that with his money, he could hire a public speaking/PR coach to train him in what to say.  Does the guy even prepare before a press conference or just have breakfast and go out there and wing it?

I get the public speaking criticism. Terry Pegula is not a charismatic public speaker, which is plain to see. Which I see as an extension of his general social awkwardness. And I don't point out these traits to be critical, but merely objective.

In fact, I admire Mr. Pegula's lack of PR polish. I know it does not represent well in our late-capitalism culture of manicured messaging and monetization, but I prefer his unrehearsed, sometimes ill-prepared candor. He's sincere, straightforward, and far more authentic than most sports franchise owners I've met. That MIGHT mean something for long-term organizational culture-building (provided we can all forgive them for hiring Rex--still working on a Sabres parallel--which MIGHT be more the unfortunate result of believing in Russ Brandon's acumen and influence (and penchant for vapid hype)). 

Mistakes have been made. Maybe the owners are learning from those errors. Hopefully they are. I believe from my limited perspective that the organization(s) are more cohesive and competent now than they were before the sale(s). 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.