Curtis Lazar Signs One Year 700k Deal with Sabres

Brawndo

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Which, if true, makes you think it's not a "Rochester signing" and the intent is to use him on the Sabres. So...

I don’t think that’s an indication one way or the other. I don’t think they’d care if they lost Lazar. It’s a Rochester signing.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Which, if true, makes you think it's not a "Rochester signing" and the intent is to use him on the Sabres. So...

a big pile of it. 

Guess he'll get a shot to prove himself, but most likely he is still heading for Rochester.

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

a big pile of it. 

How do you figure that?

It's not like he's going to be getting $3MM and sending him down would leave an almost $2MM cap hit; he'll be making about $1MM and won't count against the cap when he's sent down.

This signing is Cal O'Reilly (hopefully minus the rookie hazing).  He's being brought in with the expectation he'll play in Ra-cha-cha but will be given an opportunity to win a job in September.  Not likely he'll effectively take advantage of that opportunity because he isn't very good.  And when he's sent down, he'll likely clear waivers because he probably won't be better than anybody else's 4LW and nobody else will want to pay him an NHL salary to work in the AHL.

This is a Pegulabuck signing.  They want the Amerks to have a winning atmosphere for the youth they're trying to develop, and this signing helps with that.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

How do you figure that?

It's not like he's going to be getting $3MM and sending him down would leave an almost $2MM cap hit; he'll be making about $1MM and won't count against the cap when he's sent down.

This signing is Cal O'Reilly (hopefully minus the rookie hazing).  He's being brought in with the expectation he'll play in Ra-cha-cha but will be given an opportunity to win a job in September.  Not likely he'll effectively take advantage of that opportunity because he isn't very good.  And when he's sent down, he'll likely clear waivers because he probably won't be better than anybody else's 4LW and nobody else will want to pay him an NHL salary to work in the AHL.

This is a Pegulabuck signing.  They want the Amerks to have a winning atmosphere for the youth they're trying to develop, and this signing helps with that.

And if it all goes to plan like you laid out ... it’s a good signing for the Amerks. I think part of the problem with a section of Sabres fans (not naming anyone in particular so relax sensitive fans) is they don’t think of any team beyond the NHL Buffalo Sabres. No thought or care about Amerks, Junior leagues, Euro leagues etc. I will agree that if Lazar is on the regular season (not meaningless preseason) games, baring injury to a 4th liner, then something is wrong. These small signings help tremendously to the overall health of the franchise as a whole. At least that’s how I see it.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

How do you figure that?

Oh you are probably right and it's really a big non issue. I just would have thought if you sign a guy with the Amerks in mind you give him a 2 way contract to motivate him. It's no big either way. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's a good signing. It's puts Larsson on notice if he doesn't impress, he'll be going to Rochester. And it tells O'Regan and Asplund that if they want to anchor the top line on the Amerks, they can't slouch. You want to play for this team? You're going to have to compete even for ROC time.

18 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Lazar is does not fit the mold for the type of player they're looking to add to Roch.

It's not happening.

Interesting take.  Why do you think this?  I thought JBot was looking for players to help Rochester as we will see Olofsson in Buffalo, maybe Nylander too.   

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

But why

It appears GMJB is at the very least adding some decent players to Rochester and maybe hoping that one of these prospects just needs a change of scenery to live up to their draft potential.

It's a way to bring in talent that is low cost and he doesn't need to waste picks and prospects on them.

I can't really see a downside.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.