Trade:Defenseman Colin Miller to Sabres for Picks

Brawndo

16 hours ago, nucci said:

Why do we have to trade Risto? Most likely Bogo and Scandella are gone next season and will have to be replaced.

This is my question, exactly.  Risto isn't perfect, but he isn't our worst defenseman either.  Why not keep him and lose one of the lower end performers?  I don't see how trading him away strengthens our defense.

Edited by nikuman
clarification
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, nikuman said:

This is my question, exactly.  Risto isn't perfect, but he isn't our worst defenseman either.  Why not keep him and lose one of the lower end performers?  I don't see how trading him away strengthens our defense.

Glad to see another poster ...  welcome.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, nikuman said:

Hello and welcome.  

True, he is not our worst defenseman.   The reason to trade him versus someone like Scandella is the return.  The thought is that Risto will get you a good 2C, Scandella will get you a player like Sobotka.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Even more specifically, trading Risto should bring in a return greater than his value, because he tends to be over valued for what he actually brings. He's really a second or third pairing defenseman, so if there's a GM in the league, and I would be surprised if there weren't at least 5-10, that value him as a first pairing d-man and want to pay that value back for him? Its a steal for you.

On 7/1/2019 at 1:14 PM, sabills said:

Even more specifically, trading Risto should bring in a return greater than his value, because he tends to be over valued for what he actually brings. He's really a second or third pairing defenseman, so if there's a GM in the league, and I would be surprised if there weren't at least 5-10, that value him as a first pairing d-man and want to pay that value back for him? Its a steal for you.

I just don't think he's been put in the right situations, he needs a solid d-man alongside of him like McCabe. It weakens our defense if we trade him away. Why can't Terry and Kim take the Jet and go pick up Wingel and Johannsson? ? 

5 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I just don't think he's been put in the right situations, he needs a solid d-man alongside of him like McCabe. It weakens our defense if we trade him away. Why can't Terry and Kim take the Jet and go pick up Wingel and Johannsson? ? 

Risto has played lots of time with McCabe.  The results haven’t been great.  Mixed to poor I would say.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.