Trade:Defenseman Colin Miller to Sabres for Picks

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's weird to me you have Risto where Miller belongs, Bogo where Montour belongs, and Miller where Nelson belongs. Yes, my new wet dream is we emerge from this offseason having jettisoned both Risto and Bogo. 

Wow i forgot about my second favorite Sabres defenseman. Let me retry this
Dahlin - Montour
Pilut - Ristolainen
McCabe - Miller

They're probably going to start Pilut in Rochester if anything just for rehab and stuff. But I think this is our best six. If you don't believe me on LP, watch him and Risto together against Toronto just after the win streak. They were both incredible, because of each other. They are perfect complements for each others' weaknesses.

It's actually pretty hard to get the fit just right stylistically here. We're definitely trading a defenseman

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Super happy on this trade. As a Vegas local and watching Colin Miller the last two years, he's been one of my favorites. Guy can skate well, moves the puck fast and has one hell of an accurate blistering shot from the point. He's not a big hitter and he won't clear bigger forwards outta the crease but he's definitely a upgrade to what the Sabres have in their bottom pairing. He's a very good solid addition. Nice work JBOTTS! 

Edited by Hawerchuk
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Wow i forgot about my second favorite Sabres defenseman. Let me retry this
Dahlin - Montour
Pilut - Ristolainen
McCabe - Miller

They're probably going to start Pilut in Rochester if anything just for rehab and stuff. But I think this is our best six. If you don't believe me on LP, watch him and Risto together against Toronto just after the win streak. They were both incredible, because of each other. They are perfect complements for each others' weaknesses.

It's actually pretty hard to get the fit just right stylistically here. We're definitely trading a defenseman

I need to see Pilut and Risto together for more than half a cup of coffee before I'm convinced of anything. And I'd much rather trade Risto than find out the cup of coffee wasn't sustainable. 

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I need to see Pilut and Risto together for more than half a cup of coffee before I'm convinced of anything. And I'd much rather trade Risto than find out the cup of coffee wasn't sustainable. 

I was banging the drum a bit to keep Risto.  But now that a near replacement level player is here I'm fine with a trade.  But only if we can get a good 2C back.  Risto still holds a decent amount of value.  Sabres arn't in cap trouble so only trade him if it really upgrades the forwards.  Otherwise you keep him and run out the best 6 D you have since the 05-07 days.

Edited by Derrico
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I mean, it's not rock hard evidence, but it's over 200 minutes, not ~50 or something. We regularly make decisions and opinions about, say, which prospects we want up and where, with far less to go off of than 230 NHL minutes at even strength. And I'm not trying to dissuade a Risto trade, I'm just presuming with that lineup that he's here. If he's here, he needs to be with the guy who, outside of the late season dreck that killed everybody and made even our best players look awful, has been able to help him more than anyone else in his career, and who isn't as good away from him either. 

Jason is still more than welcome to use Ristolainen to get a 2C. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

I was banging the drum a bit to keep Risto.  But now that a near replacement level player is here I'm fine with a trade.  But only if we can get a good 2C back.  Risto still holds a decent amount of value.  Sabres arn't in cap trouble so only trade him if it really upgrades the forwards.

Precisely. Bogo is out to start the season. Pilut could need more AHL seasoning. I don't want Dahlin to have to log 24+ minutes a night and be beat up by midseason like we used to do to Risto. If Risto can get a legit 2C on reasonable term + a pick... sure. If not, let Ristolainen play fewer minutes with a responsible LHD, and move him later.

But now... we'll need to clean just a little bit. Scandella for a conditional 6th? etc.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I mean, it's not rock hard evidence, but it's over 200 minutes, not ~50 or something. We regularly make decisions and opinions about, say, which prospects we want up and where, with far less to go off of than 230 NHL minutes at even strength. And I'm not trying to dissuade a Risto trade, I'm just presuming with that lineup that he's here. If he's here, he needs to be with the guy who, outside of the late season dreck that killed everybody and made even our best players look awful, has been able to help him more than anyone else in his career, and who isn't as good away from him either. 

So glad to have you back around.

The logic here almost excuses wanting Risto to stay.  

I'm in the big, 2C or finishing winger trade camp, though. I think one of our "valuable" D gets moved for some offense.  Botterill does indeed seem intent on roster surgery.  There's at least one too many D men, now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

We are defensemen heavy. Another move is coming down the pipeline, and my fingers are OH SO CROSSED it's Ehler's from Winnipeg for Risto.

I honestly believe both Scandella and Risto are out of here.

I’d be willing to forget about a 2C if we get Ehlers. Put him on Mitts wing. 

3 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Seems there’s a lot of support for losing Risto but I just don’t see the wisdom. If I were the shot caller Nelson would never wear a Sabres sweater ever again.

As a defender on an organized team that utilizes strategies, positioning and game fundamentals, he's not good.  The only reason to keep him is that he has raw, untamed talent which you think putting on the second line will make tamable.  I don't know. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.