Trade:Defenseman Colin Miller to Sabres for Picks

Brawndo

46 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Why put ur money on Duch? 

I wouldnt mind, but i rather get more width on the team.

MODO, it's just a joke, ho-chi has been saying this for weeks about Botteril being fired, no matter what he does and I love it ??

It's all in jest my man, some funnin in the summer ?

1 hour ago, jahnyc said:

I think he really fumbled those questions about Risto.  Seems possible that RIsto did ask out of Buffalo based on his response and he did not really address the first question.

Maybe Risto just didn't want to play for Housley, and is willing to give it a shot with Krueger. We'll never know, and JBott has no obligation to fill us in on these things

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

As stated in the response to PerreaultForever, didn't say this D IS better than the '74-'75 D merely that it may be.

And I doubt we'll get a chance to find out if it would be better or not, as I expect at least 1 of these guys (likely Ristolainen) gets traded away this off-season.

For reference, that defence was very good, even if it was hardly the best in the league:

Schoenfeld -- Korab

Hajt -- Guevremont

Carriere -- Fogolin / McIntosh

That top 4 was very good and very well-rounded.  Carriere never impressed me while Fogolin and McIntosh were rookies and often showed it.

Did you know: When Bill Hajt retired in 1987, the list of retired players with better team-adjusted +/- ratings was Bobby Orr and Bobby Clarke.  That's it.  (Source: The Klein and Reif Hockey Compendium, 1987)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

9 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Yeah - it’s a cap dump.

Fair post. 

Bear in mind Risto’s reported inability to be coached, his insistence on freelancing, and his evident low hockey IQ.

If he's such a nightmare to coach why has every coach we've had fed him minutes like he's shea Weber in his prime? You'd think if he was that hard to coach at least one of our coaches would have found a way to limit his ice time.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

And I'm not even remotely confident in Krueger picking the 1 combination out of 4 that might work. Part of why I'm so gung-ho about trading Risto is to prevent coaches from being their own worst enemy.

Never mind my previous post. I get it. The coaches have all been idiots. Carry on.

• Haha (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

If he's such a nightmare to coach why has every coach we've had fed him minutes like he's shea Weber in his prime? You'd think if he was that hard to coach at least one of our coaches would have found a way to limit his ice time.

player usage is at the root of why Phil's teams sucked so bad that he got fired after only two seasons. Using that usage as justification for its own existence is pretty damn circular given that all coaches involved will probably never be an NHL HC again

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

If we've learned anything from the O'Reilly trade it's that we should keep our good and great players. Keep Ristolainen and sign a #2 center, simple as that.

Signing a number two center is simple?

Maybe, just maybe, part of the reason why we got Colin Miller instead of the other teams run by "idiot" GMs (Chevy, Benning) is exactly because the Vegas Knights don't think that they have anything to fear from the Sabres since the Sabres are in the Eastern Conference and aren't even likely to make the play-offs?

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

But this is (on paper) the best the Sabres have had since that '74-'75 squad and it has the POTENTIAL to be the best SABRES D in forever. 

Sorry, I still say you are overrating most of them (except Dahlin and his potential, since he MIGHT be our best D ever if development continues). This full unit now is a B grade D, possibly a B+ if Risto gets fixed by the new system/coaches. Before adding Montour and Miller I'd have rated it a C on a good night. So getting better, but far to go. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.