Trade:Defenseman Colin Miller to Sabres for Picks

Brawndo

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

'05-'07 wasn't this deep IMHO.  This lineup currently (and that word is key) has 5 top 4 D men, minimum (Dahlin, Montour, Ristolainen, McCabe, & Miller) with possibly (when healthy) 2 other 4/5 guys in Pilut &  Bogosian.  They also (currently) have Scandella & Nelson that are 6/7's and Borgen.

This is the best D since '75 & possibly ever.

And Seattle IS taking a D.

Our D is not that good...until you show me a Bill Hajt or Mike Ramsey I'm not convinced. We have a lot of average players right now.

Ok boys help me out here,

Is this a steal? and if thats the case then break it down for me because i do not really get this trade lookig at the return for vegas.

All i know about this guy is his stats which is good stats so why would Vegas make the trade when he is quite cheap aswell for the next 3 years, i really dont get it.
Spare me of pure speculations unless they are more likely than others.

To me this looks like a robbery, "We will take your 1 million and drop you 20 cents, cya"

Thanks,

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Ok boys help me out here,

Is this a steal? and if thats the case then break it down for me because i do not really get this trade lookig at the return for vegas.

All i know about this guy is his stats which is good stats so why would Vegas make the trade when he is quite cheap aswell for the next 3 years, i really dont get it.
Spare me of pure speculations unless they are more likely than others.

To me this looks like a robbery, "We will take your 1 million and drop you 20 cents, cya"

Thanks,

They are desperate for cap space. If they had more cap space, I don't think this trade would be made, or at least the price would be much steeper.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, sabresparaavida said:

They are desperate for cap space. If they had more cap space, I don't think this trade would be made, or at least the price would be much steeper.

Yeah - it’s a cap dump.

3 hours ago, #freejame said:

I like the deal but just wanna make sure I have this right: Miller has good fancy stats as the most protected defensemen in the NHL and will be fine taking on more responsibilities without having it change his fancy stats too much. But Risto would not have his fancy stats improve from taking on less responsibilities and moving on from being the most overmatched defensemen. Because he is who he is at 24. 

Fair post. 

Bear in mind Risto’s reported inability to be coached, his insistence on freelancing, and his evident low hockey IQ.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Bear in mind Risto’s reported inability to be coached, his insistence on freelancing, and his evident low hockey IQ.

On one shift Risto can look like a star, on the next he can look lost and unable to make a breakout pass, and on a third shift he appears to stop working altogether and gives up easy chances.  Every coach he had has given him lots of hard minutes but his on ice performance suggests they should not.  That speaks volumes about the rest of the defense.  

We are going to see what kind of player he really is soon enough.  We have accumulated enough d-men to move him for him for  a legit 2C or other top 6 forward help. 

Edited by Pimlach

5 hours ago, #freejame said:

I like the deal but just wanna make sure I have this right: Miller has good fancy stats as the most protected defensemen in the NHL and will be fine taking on more responsibilities without having it change his fancy stats too much. But Risto would not have his fancy stats improve from taking on less responsibilities and moving on from being the most overmatched defensemen. Because he is who he is at 24. 

Yes. Risto blows defensive coverage against bad players just as much as against good players. Existing evidence suggests underlying numbers don't vary much with quality of competition, and my eyes tell me Risto's problems aren't competition relation, but Risto related. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Toronto fans are not happy about this

Really that is all that matters hahahhaah

I’ve read more than a few ‘Dubas is a moron for not making this trade’ type posts since it went down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This is a stopgap to mid season where two players coming off IR will force a trade

Before:

Dahlin-Montour 

McCabe-Ristolainen

Scandella-Miller

Nelson

After:

Dahlin-Montour

Pilut-Ristolainen

McCabe-Miller

Scandella-Bogosian-Nelson, two traded for picks

I didn’t even include Hunwick, but either him or Nelson will be waived anyway

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Toronto fans are not happy about this

RHD is a problem for them and Miller played for Dubas in the Soo.

They need to sort out their cap issues first and then look for help. Their fans think their money can get them every player available.

Throw them a bone, Kadri for a 2nd and a 3rd. Then maybe they can afford Tyler Myers.

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

RHD Every D outside of Reilly is a problem for them and Miller played for Dubas in the Soo.

They need to sort out their cap issues first and then look for help. Their fans think their money can get them every player available.

Throw them a bone, Kadri for a 2nd and a 3rd. Then maybe they can afford Tyler Myers.

Fixed

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Borgen needs to fit in there somewhere and not convinced on Pilut unless he puts on 10-15 pounds especially upper body.

This.

Borgen has been slow cooking for four full development seasons.  He may need a full or part of a year in Rochester but I want to see him in Buffalo soon.  I think he's pretty criminally underrated on Sabres prospect lists.  I'm very excited to see what he can bring.  Very physical and plays a nice game in his own end.  Not saying he's going to be a regular top 6 but I also wouldn't rule it out either.  Need to see him.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

'05-'07 wasn't this deep IMHO.  This lineup currently (and that word is key) has 5 top 4 D men, minimum (Dahlin, Montour, Ristolainen, McCabe, & Miller) with possibly (when healthy) 2 other 4/5 guys in Pilut &  Bogosian.  They also (currently) have Scandella & Nelson that are 6/7's and Borgen.

This is the best D since '75 & possibly ever.

And Seattle IS taking a D.

george costanza seinfeld GIF

7 hours ago, #freejame said:

I guess the question is, how much does usage affect a players shot share statistics, or their effectiveness?

Peolple see that Miller has been excellent in his 3rd pair role, and think he probably would be at least decent in a 2nd pair role.  People see that Risto is terrible in his #1 D role and think he might be decent in a 2nd pair role.  Maybe the two players are not far off from each other in ability honestly.

I would like to think that people would be excited if we got Risto for the same price.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.