Trade:Defenseman Colin Miller to Sabres for Picks

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Ducky said:

If he re-signs, this is a  huuuuuge steal.

If he resigns?  He is signed for 3 more seasons!  It’s official!  It’s Uuugge!

Details: age 26, $3.875M AAV for 3 more years

Edited by Curtisp5286
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Everyone seems to want to trade Risto but do we remember  Scandella is still on the team?  

I think they're both gone to be honest.

You don't bring in an RHD to move an LHD I am guessing.

But I believe your on firm ground with your comment. Would be nice if Botterill could move Risto, Scandella and Nylander (I just don't see Nylander unseating Olofsson or CJ Smith for a roster spot, and after 3 seasons, he needs a fresh scene, just my take is all) for a 2nd line center and LW'er that are worthy assets I'd be estatic.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

What’s Risto worth? A 2nd and 3rd? If we can get a legit top 6 forward for him, I’m all for it but that’s looking unlikely 

Botterill has to know what the market is for Risto by now. 

He is possibly working on a deal now for one of them or he will wait until Bogo and Pilut return from injury and then make a decision. 

We will see one way or another. 

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Wow i forgot about my second favorite Sabres defenseman. Let me retry this
Dahlin - Montour
Pilut - Ristolainen
McCabe - Miller

They're probably going to start Pilut in Rochester if anything just for rehab and stuff. But I think this is our best six. If you don't believe me on LP, watch him and Risto together against Toronto just after the win streak. They were both incredible, because of each other. They are perfect complements for each others' weaknesses.

It's actually pretty hard to get the fit just right stylistically here. We're definitely trading a defenseman

Yeah I liked that combo a lot to.

This is also a trade most of us had in mind and were hoping for I think.   And he got it done fairly cheap.

34 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Ehlers!

Risto for Ehlers!

I'd love that deal.

I want more coming back than just Ehlers, If they want Risto they can add roslovic to or a 1st round pick.

4 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

We are defensemen heavy. Another move is coming down the pipeline, and my fingers are OH SO CROSSED it's Ehler's from Winnipeg for Risto.

I honestly believe both Scandella and Risto are out of here.

Ehlers is the kind of player I would be OK trading Risto for -- a talented, fast, young top-6 forward. 

4 hours ago, Ogre said:

Seems there’s a lot of support for losing Risto but I just don’t see the wisdom. If I were the shot caller Nelson would never wear a Sabres sweater ever again.

I too would rather trade Nelson (or Scandella or Bogo) than Risto, unless trading Risto gets a high quality forward in return.

Separately:  this seems like a pretty good and strategic move by JB -- savvy use of cap space to pick up a solid asset.  I thought the Sabres' D was frequently a train wreck last year and I didn't see anything out of Bogo, Scandy, Nelson or Hunwick to make me think any of them needed to be here another season.  I'm pretty confident that Miller will be an immediate upgrade over those 4.

As for Risto, it does seem like this trade makes it more likely that he's moved, but I think JB won't dump him for a bunch of loose change.  If JB doesn't get an offer he likes by the time Bogo and Pilut return, I wouldn't be surprised if he trades one or both of Bogo and Scandy for a mid-round draft pick just to clear the roster and cap space.  Hunwick will probably be sent down and clear waivers.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

If he resigns?  He is signed for 3 more seasons!  It’s official!  It’s Uuugge!

Details: age 26, $3.875M AAV for 3 more years

For some reason I thought he  only had 2 years left...

This is a great move for you guys!!!

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Derrico said:

I was banging the drum a bit to keep Risto.  But now that a near replacement level player is here I'm fine with a trade.  But only if we can get a good 2C back.  Risto still holds a decent amount of value.  Sabres arn't in cap trouble so only trade him if it really upgrades the forwards.  Otherwise you keep him and run out the best 6 D you have since the 05-07 days.

'05-'07 wasn't this deep IMHO.  This lineup currently (and that word is key) has 5 top 4 D men, minimum (Dahlin, Montour, Ristolainen, McCabe, & Miller) with possibly (when healthy) 2 other 4/5 guys in Pilut &  Bogosian.  They also (currently) have Scandella & Nelson that are 6/7's and Borgen.

This is the best D since '75 & possibly ever.

And Seattle IS taking a D.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the deal but just wanna make sure I have this right: Miller has good fancy stats as the most protected defensemen in the NHL and will be fine taking on more responsibilities without having it change his fancy stats too much. But Risto would not have his fancy stats improve from taking on less responsibilities and moving on from being the most overmatched defensemen. Because he is who he is at 24. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

'05-'07 wasn't this deep IMHO.  This lineup currently (and that word is key) has 5 top 4 D men, minimum (Dahlin, Montour, Ristolainen, McCabe, & Miller) with possibly (when healthy) 2 other 4/5 guys in Pilut &  Bogosian.  They also (currently) have Scandella & Nelson that are 6/7's and Borgen.

This is the best D since '75 & possibly ever.

And Seattle IS taking a D.

Oh wow, that might be the most extreme example of overrating our talent ever. No argument that this makes a bad D better but (as an example) I'd still trade our top 6 D for say Boston's top 6 D in a heartbeat. 

My own feeling is that this likely is the first step towards a Risto trade for a top forward. If that happens, not sure we will be better, but we will definitely be different. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.