Trade:Defenseman Colin Miller to Sabres for Picks

Brawndo

I got flashbacks to the Duchene situation as well, and Risto makes it easier by not being a malcontent like Duchene was. You could always sit on him and wait if you don't like what you're being offered now, and have him cover up the hole left by the D injuries to start the year between Bogosian and Pilut and whoever else might get hurt between now and then. It didn't hurt (and arguably worked to help) Duchene's trade value and they got a haul given what he had shown to that point. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Seems there’s a lot of support for losing Risto but I just don’t see the wisdom. If I were the shot caller Nelson would never wear a Sabres sweater ever again.

I don't think everyone supports it, well, ok, maybe many have, but in a few cases such as myself, we are looking at addressing that 2nd line C and W needs.

FA should be able to help out the bottom 6.

I just don't want to see Mitts put in the 2C position this coming season, the kid is going to be good, but I'd like him sheltered for a couple 3 years.

So, between @Hoss's write-up on the farm, the average age of the team, it makes me wonder if they're toying with the idea of going four drafts without a number one.  Just a weird thought, not that I buy it.  However, if they offer sheet Marner, say, they have the offensive talent and blue line to last 5 to 6 seasons - right?  It could be conceivable, though a risky gamble.

Just one Cup and we're good for another decade.

Thinking about it further, if Botterill were confident in RK, that would tip the scales on a move like that.  If he believed in RK, it would make the move far less risky.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ... said:

So, between @Hoss's write-up on the farm, the average age of the team, it makes me wonder if they're toying with the idea of going four drafts without a number one.  Just a weird thought, not that I buy it.  However, if they offer sheet Marner, say, they have the offensive talent and blue line to last 5 to 6 seasons - right?  It could be conceivable, though a risky gamble.

Thinking about it further, if Botterill were confident in RK, that would tip the scales on a move like that.  If he believed in RK, it would make the move far less risky.

I don't know if I go Marner.  But we may be close enough that an Aho offer sheet puts this team on a pretty quick upward trajectory.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, ... said:

I wouldn't be confident if they chose Marner. I'd happily do it for Point/Aho though. 

And I like Tkachuk a lot, but he doesn't play center, so I'd probably stay away from 4 first rounders for him (I believe he's been mentioned here as well) 

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I wouldn't be confident if they chose Marner. I'd happily do it for Point/Aho though. 

And I like Tkachuk a lot, but he doesn't play center, so I'd probably stay away from 4 first rounders for him (I believe he's been mentioned here as well) 

If you're even contemplating Tkachuk you have to contemplate Marner.  I would only do it for a centre also but Marner really is incredible.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, ... said:

So glad to have you back around.

The logic here almost excuses wanting Risto to stay.  

I'm in the big, 2C or finishing winger trade camp, though. I think one of our "valuable" D gets moved for some offense.  Botterill does indeed seem intent on roster surgery.  There's at least one too many D men, now.

1 too many... er Sabres now have so many D they can hold rest of the league hostage... wow. 

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

The trade will be betrayed and murdered by the Empire 

The taxation of trade routes always get bogged down in the Senate. But if Risto goes and wins the Norris, and we win the trade because in the long run we shore up our defense and win a Cup...  we win, from a certain point of view.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yes to all of this. Flagg, I enjoy everything you say even when I disagree with it lol

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's weird to me you have Risto where Miller belongs, Bogo where Montour belongs, and Miller where Nelson belongs. Yes, my new wet dream is we emerge from this offseason having jettisoned both Risto and Bogo. 

It's weird that Bogo is even on his list, isn't he out for the first few months of the season?

9 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Except when I think he confused Duchene for O’Reilly or am I missing something upthread?

Nope. Duchene requested a trade and didn't go to Colorado's training camp after their disastrous 48 point season. Instead of panicking and trading him for peanuts, with teams knowing that he wanted out, he said "fine", kept him on the team for a few weeks into the season, until he got a really nice deal that they liked, and shipped him off after the season had already been underway. it didn't hurt Colorado at all, they went on to make the playoffs. And they got a top 4 lottery pick, a gem in Sam Girard, plus other things. 

With Risto not being nearly as much of a headache as Duchene was, we could do something similar and it would benefit us with the injuries we already have for October. IF we wanted to move Risto and didn't like the return today.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Nope. Duchene requested a trade and didn't go to Colorado's training camp after their disastrous 48 point season. Instead of panicking and trading him for peanuts, with teams knowing that he wanted out, he said "fine", kept him on the team for a few weeks, until he got a really nice deal that they liked, and shipped him off after the season had already been underway. it didn't hurt Colorado at all, they went on to make the playoffs. And they got a top 4 lottery pick, a gem in Sam Girard, plus other things. 

With Risto not being nearly as much of a headache as Duchene was, we could do something similar and it would benefit us with the injuries we already have for October. IF we wanted to move Risto and didn't like the return today.

Ok, I guess I did miss something. Thanks for the explanation.

This is similar to what I had said earlier about JBOT learning from his mistakes. He was hell bent on trading ROR no matter what. I think he’ll wait for his price with Risto.

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Ok, I guess I did miss something. Thanks for the explanation.

This is similar to what I had said earlier about JBOT learning from his mistakes. He was hell bent on trading ROR no matter what. I think he’ll wait for his price with Risto.

I had that slightly wrong - apparently Duchene just was missing for the "optional" stuff that every other Av attended in the week or two leading up to TC,  receiving jabs for it from their captain and other players, but eventually showed up to camp when it began. The whole vibe was that he was disgruntled and wanted them to get him out of there ASAP though. And would barely talk to anyone.

Risto is being a good boy. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

This is so good.  Getting a 2nd air or incredible 3rd pair RD for a 2nd two years from now and a 5th?  I love these cap space value trades.  So glad that Botterill got in on the action.

I don’t know if this means that Risto is on the way out, but I do know that the D looks pretty stacked right now.  

Dahlin-Montour

McCabe-Miller

Scandella-Risto

Nelson, Hunwick

Then when Pilut and Bogo are healthy, plug them in as well!  It’s looking like they could absorb the loss of Risto without it becoming a catastrophe, if a good trade is there to be made.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.