RJ Returning for His 49th Season

Brawndo

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here — Rick is quoted as saying he wasn't sure about returning, but he sat down and gave it a lot of thought and decided to give it one more go round, although he still hates the travel.

He has an agreement (has had the agreement for years now) to do whatever game he wants to. He goes on road trips to a select number of games on his own free will. His own desire. He is not forced to travel or work any games he doesn’t want to. Again, no games he doesn’t want to. He doesn’t hate to travel. He’s not forced to travel. I would completely agree with you if ALL he did were home games. That’s certainly not the case. At all. Granted it’s harder for him to travel. I give you that. But “hate” to travel is so not accurate. At least from my 3 degrees of separation from RJ, he likes going on road trips where the arenas are easy to get to and the broadcast booths are easy to get to and are comfortable.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I hope he doesn't have to be carried out in a stretcher again this year 

If they suck as bad again this upcoming season, I'm afraid that may be the case. (and they'll be carrying me out on a stretcher as well) Here's hoping coach Ralph and crew hook up this roster with a system they can excel at. And here's hoping they give RJ a chance to get his adrenaline going again! It has been a sad 8 years for him and for us.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Zamboni said:

He has an agreement (has had the agreement for years now) to do whatever game he wants to. He goes on road trips to a select number of games on his own free will. His own desire. He is not forced to travel or work any games he doesn’t want to. Again, no games he doesn’t want to. He doesn’t hate to travel. He’s not forced to travel. I would completely agree with you if ALL he did were home games. That’s certainly not the case. At all. Granted it’s harder for him to travel. I give you that. But “hate” to travel is so not accurate. At least from my 3 degrees of separation from RJ, he likes going on road trips where the arenas are easy to get to and the broadcast booths are easy to get to and are comfortable.

I have an interview with him on Channel 2 circa 1982 when he was about 40 where he says the least favorite thing about the job is the travel. He was emphatic in saying it. He's said it over the years. Maybe hate was too strong a word.

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Is Rob Ray returning as well? He ruins the broadcast and RJ by constantly talking during the play by play. You can tell that RJ gets annoyed by this and it is hard to listen to the games because of Ray. 

I agree. I like Ray, but he is not very good at his job. Every other broad cast in every other league is hiring nice young, smart women to do color, id love to have us get one who played the game and can educate us on hockey's finer points. Ray is just, "they need to stop squeezing their sticks too hard" and other worthless comments 

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I agree. I like Ray, but he is not very good at his job. Every other broad cast in every other league is hiring nice young, smart women to do color, id love to have us get one who played the game and can educate us on hockey's finer points. Ray is just, "they need to stop squeezing their sticks too hard" and other worthless comments 

but his "keys to the game" are priceless

14 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

great avatar...It's a walrus...ridiculous!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.