Jbot Do Something Already Off-season 2019

GASabresIUFAN

30 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

Thanks for posting this but it makes everything clear as mud. If Pegula really is hands off and Botterill and Beane basically have autonomy as suggested they why was Botterill in such a hurry to trade Eeyore before the bonus was paid on July 1st? That contract was perfectly structured (by Tim Murray) to make it easy to move and extremely attractive to any and all budget teams each year after the bonus was paid on July 1st.

Worth a chuckle anyway. Was Kim Pegula not "hired"? Because the quotes have to go there, can Graham say he is technically correct?

Final say over every personnel move is the definition of meddling.

To get back on topic, this writer's offering will also leave you scratching your head. (He's from Pittsburgh, where else?)

Jason Botterill doesn't figure to be a major player when free agency opens July 1. The Buffalo Sabres' general manager told reporters earlier this month that trades are a "more realistic" way for him to supplement the NHL roster.
After all, the Sabres signed Jeff Skinner to an eight-year, $72 million contract. Although the team has cap space and needs a top-six forward, Botterill is unlikely to hand out a lucrative long-term deal to a free agent class he described as top heavy.
The Sabres will still explore the market, though, and here are some players that could be on Botterill's shopping list when unrestricted free agents can begin signing with teams Monday.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/06/27/buffalo-sabres-free-agency-jason-botterill-anders-lee-joonas-donskoi-brett-connolly-marcus-johansson-jason-pominville-analysis-2019/

https://buffalonews.com/2019/06/27/buffalo-sabres-free-agency-jason-botterill-anders-lee-joonas-donskoi-brett-connolly-marcus-johansson-jason-pominville-analysis-2019/

Here is TBN’s list of 11 potential FAs for the Sabres.

Centers: Johansson and Brassard

RW: Donskoi, Connolly, Kuhnhackl, Hartman, and Pommers (as a fallback)

LW: Lee, Tanev

Defense: Pouliot

Goalie: Legace

I like the ideas for RW, but we need more or better ideas for center and D.  That said Johansson is the likely the best remaining FA choice for us at center.  Hartman would be an interesting ball of hate we could use to energize this squad.

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Worth a chuckle anyway. Was Kim Pegula not "hired"? Because the quotes have to go there, can Graham say he is technically correct?

Final say over every personnel move is the definition of meddling.

To get back on topic, this writer's offering will also leave you scratching your head. (He's from Pittsburgh, where else?)

I think this is perfectly obvious:

1. For whatever reason, JBot was intent on trading ROR.

2. JBot told Terry and Kim that he is trading ROR no matter what.

3. Terry and Kim said, "because the bonus is so large, try not to waste our money; please trade him before we have to pay the bonus.  If we pay the bonus, we should try to keep him and work things out."

4. JBot sets his price.  For some reason, "mostly futures" is not in the cards (i.e., don't take Tage Thompson; take another draft pick).  He rather stupidly thinks that Berglund and Sobotka can return to form.

5. JBot makes the trade and immediately has cartons of eggs on his face.

Aside: IMHO, as the owner, Terry SHOULD have final say over how his money is spent.  Based on my experience with small companies (less than 100 people), owners tend to get touchy with money when they aren't making money in the business hand-over-fist and look over everybody's shoulders.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Do you think that getting Miller is enough to fix this team? If not, then we probably need to leave the thread open until we get a center and at least one RW.

I believe the thread is titled "do something already", not "do multiple things over an extended period of time". 

• Haha (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I believe the thread is titled "do something already", not "do multiple things over an extended period of time". 

How about "Do Something Helpful Already."  I don't think Miller is much help unless it's the first domino that falls that allows Jbot to trade Risto to acquire a center.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How about "Do Something Helpful Already."  I don't think Miller is much help unless it's the first domino that falls that allows Jbot to trade Risto to acquire a center.

I can't see how this is a rational thing to say given Miller's fancy stats and the Sabres' D last season.

4 hours ago, ... said:

I can't see how this is a rational thing to say given Miller's fancy stats and the Sabres' D last season.

Fancy stats are meaningless when he gets scratched by the coach in the playoffs for lousy and lack luster defensive play. 

Gerard Gallant, LV’s HC, is not a fan of this player.  

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Fancy stats are meaningless when he gets scratched by the coach in the playoffs for lousy and lack luster defensive play. 

Gerard Gallant, LV’s HC, is not a fan of this player.  

So if the Sabres scratch him in the playoffs you'll be upset?

Re-title this thread - "Jbot do everything GASabresIUFAN wants already"  ?

• Like (+1) 2