Jbot Do Something Already Off-season 2019

GASabresIUFAN

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

He did play LW with Sam and Jack to finish the year, didn’t he?

Ive been mentally slotting both he and Alex Nylander as being able to play either side, but I could be wrong.

8 hours ago, darksabre said:

He did.

Man I’ve been wrong an awful lot lately. 

16 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/1042247/2019/06/22/time-to-sell-the-sabres-what-they-have-what-they-need-and-what-they-can-get-in-free-agency-with-a-good-pitch/

Interesting article from Vogl.  

I’ll Highlight his depth chart

Center - Jack, Mitts, Sobotka, Larsson and Asplund - Says we need to trade to get a 2nd line center, but Spezza (UFA) for a year or two?

LW - Skinner, Olofsson, Sheary, Erod, Girgensons, Wilson - Vogl thinks we are set here. I’m not so sure.  

RW - Reinhart, KO, Thompson, Nylander - Thin is an understatement. Vogl expects at least one big time UFA signing.

LD - Dahlin, McCabe, Scandella, Pilut and Hunwick - Gardner to expensive and Benn, but not much to upgrade with in the FAs.

RD - Risto, Montour, Bogo, Nelson & Borgen - Suggests Myers or Stralman if Risto traded. Thinks Borgen needs more time in Rochester.

His conclusion is to sign Dzingel and a RW.  Can’t argue with that.

I guess he stole the idea from me, huh.

image.thumb.png.7e9d199a4a6315a563ada5f0b5ca8b10.png

With this Roster I think it makes it tough on the GM to make any moves.  Think about it, you are the other GM - you say you want player X send me your trade pieces, ok so you send him Vladimir, Johan, and Zemgus and possibly a 2020 pick (which you have 6 of that includes 2 7th rounders - NOTE- the 2019 and 2020 draft are supposedly deap in talent with a huge drop off in 2021).  So you wait for the phone to ring and wait and wait, so as a good GM you call back and say does that work for you?  All you hear on the other end is laughter - and then - is that all you got??    This team obviously has been where its been in the standing because it doesn't have much talent.  If the roster stays the same expect more of the same.  

• Thanks (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, WhichWayToGo said:

With this Roster I think it makes it tough on the GM to make any moves.  Think about it, you are the other GM - you say you want player X send me your trade pieces, ok so you send him Vladimir, Johan, and Zemgus and possibly a 2020 pick (which you have 6 of that includes 2 7th rounders - NOTE- the 2019 and 2020 draft are supposedly deap in talent with a huge drop off in 2021).  So you wait for the phone to ring and wait and wait, so as a good GM you call back and say does that work for you?  All you hear on the other end is laughter - and then - is that all you got??    This team obviously has been where its been in the standing because it doesn't have much talent.  If the roster stays the same expect more of the same.  

I don't know, Pu, a 2nd, 3rd and a 6th got the Sabres a 40 goal scorer.  What's the difference between Pu and Nylander or Borgen?

The Sabres also have ample cap space the next few seasons to make deals with teams looking to dump salary.

Botterill just needs to find distressed inventory, like he did with Skinner and Sheary.  Guys who are undervalued or no longer valued by their current teams.  Once he identifies those targets, he should be able to make a deal.

1 hour ago, WhichWayToGo said:

Welcome WWTG!!

Sent you a beer as a welcome to our little crazy family.

What you outlined is part of the issues that have resulted from the ill advised and not very good idea to tank for 2+ years.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Welcome WWTG!!

Sent you a beer as a welcome to our little crazy family.

What you outlined is part of the issues that have resulted from the ill advised and not very good idea to tank for 2+ years.

Agreed on Welcome, WWTG.

Also, you can't follow up tanking for multiple years by compounding the offence by trading all of your picks away.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Agreed on Welcome, WWTG.

Also, you can't follow up tanking for multiple years by compounding the offence by trading all of your picks away.

Draft day 2015 might have been the best day of the decade for Sabres fans. So at least we got that out of the tank's fruit.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Draft day 2015 might have been the best day of the decade for Sabres fans. So at least we got that out of the tank's fruit.

Sadly, I think there are an awful lot of people who would agree with you.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Personally I’d take the 10 game streak and winning the Dahlin lottery is close, but it’s right there.

I don't think any particular day of the streak was quite as exciting as that draft day. Didn't we add a Vezina finalist goalie, Selke/Conn Smythe center, and The Franchise all in a span of a few hours?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Personally I’d take the 10 game streak and winning the Dahlin lottery is close, but it’s right there.

Winning the lottery, for me. 

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't think any particular day of the streak was quite as exciting as that draft day. Didn't we add a Vezina finalist goalie, Selke/Conn Smythe center, and The Franchise all in a span of a few hours?

There was much brow furrowing over giving up a 1st for Lehner, so it wasn't all peaches. 

We also already knew we were getting Eichel. Winning Dahlin was a moment of pure joy I haven't felt hockey wise since, maybe, Ennis OT in '11, but more likely Drury/Afinogenov in 07. 

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Winning the lottery, for me. 

There was much brow furrowing over giving up a 1st for Lehner, so it wasn't all peaches. 

We also already knew we were getting Eichel. Winning Dahlin was a moment of pure joy I haven't felt hockey wise since, maybe, Ennis OT in '11, but more likely Drury/Afinogenov in 07. 

In terms of fist-pumping, shouting moment of joy, it’s Dahlin for me too.

Eichel Day was a general glow of satisfaction that our GM was a gunslinger and we were about to turn the corner, but we already knew we were getting Jack.

But the streak was full of actual wins and was a much bigger tease in terms of an indication the franchise actually had turned the corner, instead of it being poised to.

I think that’s the real reason why some of you consider this season  maybe the worst ever.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

In terms of fist-pumping, shouting moment of joy, it’s Dahlin for me too.

Eichel Day was a general glow of satisfaction that our GM was a gunslinger and we were about to turn the corner, but we already knew we were getting Jack.

But the streak was full of actual wins and was a much bigger tease in terms of an indication the franchise actually had turned the corner, instead of it being poised to.

I think that’s the real reason why some of you consider this season  maybe the worst ever.

It definitely got to the point for me where I was thinking it my head, "they can't not be for real after this". So the collapse was rather shocking and it left a bad taste.

But I did go from loving the streak, to being upset with the whole situation as if being tricked, to at the end of the day just being thankful I had the good memories from the streak, at least, it an (mostly, (certain individual players)) otherwise downer of a season.

Edited by Thorny

Only two of my five favorite games from this season were in the streak - Pittsburgh and San Jose. They played like ass during a lot of it to be honest. I remember thinking at the time that the week or two before the streak started was actually the best hockey they had played all season. 

The other favorite games were the Ottawa blowout for Pominville, the win @Anaheim, and Jack beating Boston with 4 points.

Edited by Randall Flagg

On 6/23/2019 at 2:58 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/1042247/2019/06/22/time-to-sell-the-sabres-what-they-have-what-they-need-and-what-they-can-get-in-free-agency-with-a-good-pitch/

Interesting article from Vogl.  

I’ll Highlight his depth chart

Center - Jack, Mitts, Sobotka, Larsson and Asplund - Says we need to trade to get a 2nd line center, but Spezza (UFA) for a year or two?

LW - Skinner, Olofsson, Sheary, Erod, Girgensons, Wilson - Vogl thinks we are set here. I’m not so sure.  

RW - Reinhart, KO, Thompson, Nylander - Thin is an understatement. Vogl expects at least one big time UFA signing.

LD - Dahlin, McCabe, Scandella, Pilut and Hunwick - Gardner to expensive and Benn, but not much to upgrade with in the FAs.

RD - Risto, Montour, Bogo, Nelson & Borgen - Suggests Myers or Stralman if Risto traded. Thinks Borgen needs more time in Rochester.

His conclusion is to sign Dzingel and a RW.  Can’t argue with that.

A question from someone (me) who doesn't see the Sabres play often:

I see a lot of names here and many of them at one time or another had decent or better reputations attached to them.  I'm not pretending this is a Stanley Cup winner, but there appears from a distance to be enough talent named to be serious about the playoffs.  With the right coaching and attitude there shouldn't be tailspins and extended losing streaks that mean the season is over in February.  (Look at ROR; in Buffalo he was nobody and in St. Louis he turned into a superstar in the playoffs.).

Am I just wrong and most of these guys are mediocre stiffs?  Or with coaching is there enough talent here to stay in the hunt until April?  (And I'm only talking about making the playoffs.)

I also notice this posted excerpt doesn't list G's.  Is that the problem?

Edited by I Remember Imlach
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, I Remember Imlach said:

A question from someone (me) who doesn't see the Sabres play often:

I see a lot of names here and many of them at one time or another had decent or better reputations attached to them.  I'm not pretending this is a Stanley Cup winner, but there appears from a distance to be enough talent named to be serious about the playoffs.  With the right coaching and attitude there shouldn't be tailspins and extended losing streaks that mean the season is over in February.  (Look at ROR; in Buffalo he was nobody and in St. Louis he turned into a superstar in the playoffs.).

Am I just wrong and most off these guys are mediocre stiffs?  Or with coaching is there enough talent here to stay in the hunt until April?  (And I'm o only talking about making the playoffs.)

I also notice this posted excerpt doesn't list G's.  Is that the problem?

Goalies have been part of the problem, but improving, talent is almost there, but need a few pieces, and coaching has been a huge and the biggest... issue.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Goalies have been part of the problem, but improving, talent is almost there, but need a few pieces, and coaching has been a huge and the biggest... issue.

When the team added Montour at the deadline, and Montour played well after the trade, but the team defense got worse, you can pinpoint coaching as the main issue.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Only two of my five favorite games from this season were in the streak - Pittsburgh and San Jose. They played like ass during a lot of it to be honest. I remember thinking at the time that the week or two before the streak started was actually the best hockey they had played all season. 

The other favorite games were the Ottawa blowout for Pominville, the win @Anaheim, and Jack beating Boston with 4 points.

I loved the thanksgiving eve game against the Flyers during the streak. That first period was awesome. It also happened to be one of the  only two games I made it to last year. (Both wins)

Just now, jad1 said:

When the team added Montour at the deadline, and Montour played well after the trade, but the team defense got worse, you can pinpoint coaching as the main issue.

I always was cautious about putting to much value on coaching and Trots and contrasting Housley has made me think I should put much more value on coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Radar said:

I always was cautious about putting to much value on coaching and Trots and contrasting Housley has made me think I should put much more value on coaching.

Coaching is huge in the NHL. Maybe because there are so many bad coaches, fans tend to devalue it as being a key component for success. 

The Sabres locker room has been a mis-managed mess for years.  To a large extent, the players self-govern the locker room, but the coach needs to set the tone and accountability for the team, and the result of every coaching and GM decision ends up there.

Krueger seems to have the skillset to hopefully fix these issues this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Was there a JBott sighting on Elmwood this morning, enjoying a root beer float?

Where is he?

If he was that’s great! Get out and enjoy the nice weather. I’m sure his phone was within inches. ?

I still hope he takes his time and makes the right moves. No knee jerk reactionary piss poor acquisitions please.

• Like (+1) 3