Jbot Do Something Already Off-season 2019

GASabresIUFAN

Trouba - traded

Miller - traded

Subban - Traded

Hayes - signed

Significant pieces that could have helped the Sabres have already been signed or acquired by rivals.  The draft is in the books and still no significant additions to bolster this roster that needs an entire 2nd line and some legit D men who can actually play D.

Sobotka hasn't been bought out, but with the cap 81.5 instead of 83, the 1.5 saved on the cap if he got bought out looms bigger.

Scandella, Nylander and other possible trade pieces are still Sabres as Jbot didn't help the Sabres during the draft and lost our on Subban and Miller who were moved during the draft.  Hunwick can now be sent packing.

Kicking the tires on FAs starts today.  Will he sign anyone of note?  Duchene is going to cost to much.  How will he find a 2nd line center?

Honestly Jbot, throw the fans a bone a do something already.

Sheary was acquired 6/28/2018 and Skinner on 8/2/2018.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

With the cap at 81.5 instead of 83 I think there will be some dumping of good players.

I read somewhere that Vegas is over the cap now and they haven't signed anyone.

The Leafs having to send a first round pick with Marleau shows how desperate teams are to get relief.

Preds moved PK to the Devils because they were the only team willing to take the entire salary.

Edited by French Collection

I understand fans frustration, but very few trades of note have happened.  Bottsie made some moves and drafted dome players, so, in fact, he has done something.

If it is the start of training camp and still no significant changes have been made, then I will be concerned.

I tend to think that Bottsie will allow new coachie to take a good look at what he has to work with.

I'm growing concerned that he want Mitts to center Reinhart next season.  This means to me that he is less likely to get bring in a good center.  This is not smart.

It also leads me to believe that the biggest upgrade at forward will be a LW like Zucker.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm growing concerned that he want Mitts to center Reinhart next season.  This means to me that he is less likely to get bring in a good center.  This is not smart.

It also leads me to believe that the biggest upgrade at forward will be a LW like Zucker.  

How are we going to acquire Zucker?

Just now, freester said:

How are we going to acquire Zucker?

Darn good question

Just now, Hoss said:

The only move that happened to this point in the offseason that I wish had been us is the Subban deal.

I really wanted Miller.  Solid scorer, plays any forward position and is physical.

10 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Go outside, talk a walk. Botterill has till like...August. 

He trades at weird and abrupt times. Which isn't fun on draft day but is surprise fun plenty others. 

Skinner was in August right? Scandella, Sheary were each randomly before the draft, ROR was on free agency which sometimes has trades but isn't known for it 

Montour was a quasi-deadline deal but not super close to the deadline I think 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

He trades at weird and abrupt times. Which isn't fun on draft day but is surprise fun plenty others. 

Skinner was in August right? Scandella, Sheary were each randomly before the draft, ROR was on free agency which sometimes has trades but isn't known for it 

Montour was a quasi-deadline deal but not super close to the deadline I think 

And you have to control for the whims and timelines of other GMs too. It's not like Vegas, for example, needs to be under the cap right now. They've got time to figure it out.

• Like (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/1042247/2019/06/22/time-to-sell-the-sabres-what-they-have-what-they-need-and-what-they-can-get-in-free-agency-with-a-good-pitch/

Interesting article from Vogl.  

I’ll Highlight his depth chart

Center - Jack, Mitts, Sobotka, Larsson and Asplund - Says we need to trade to get a 2nd line center, but Spezza (UFA) for a year or two?

LW - Skinner, Olofsson, Sheary, Erod, Girgensons, Wilson - Vogl thinks we are set here. I’m not so sure.  

RW - Reinhart, KO, Thompson, Nylander - Thin is an understatement. Vogl expects at least one big time UFA signing.

LD - Dahlin, McCabe, Scandella, Pilut and Hunwick - Gardner to expensive and Benn, but not much to upgrade with in the FAs.

RD - Risto, Montour, Bogo, Nelson & Borgen - Suggests Myers or Stralman if Risto traded. Thinks Borgen needs more time in Rochester.

His conclusion is to sign Dzingel and a RW.  Can’t argue with that.

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/1042247/2019/06/22/time-to-sell-the-sabres-what-they-have-what-they-need-and-what-they-can-get-in-free-agency-with-a-good-pitch/

Interesting article from Vogl.  

I’ll Highlight his depth chart

Center - Jack, Mitts, Sobotka, Larsson and Asplund - Says we need to trade to get a 2nd line center, but Spezza (UFA) for a year or two?

LW - Skinner, Olofsson, Sheary, Erod, Girgensons, Wilson - Vogl thinks we are set here. I’m not so sure.  

RW - Reinhart, KO, Thompson, Nylander - Thin is an understatement. Vogl expects at least one big time UFA signing.

LD - Dahlin, McCabe, Scandella, Pilut and Hunwick - Gardner to expensive and Benn, but not much to upgrade with in the FAs.

RD - Risto, Montour, Bogo, Nelson & Borgen - Suggests Myers or Stralman if Risto traded. Thinks Borgen needs more time in Rochester.

His conclusion is to sign Dzingel and a RW.  Can’t argue with that.

Agreed, would like one or both of Dzingle and Zucarello.    And a depth veteran D or two to take over for Bogosian after game 20.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Agreed, would like one or both of Dzingle and Zucarello.    And a depth veteran D or two to take over for Bogosian after game 20.

Game 20?  Bogo will not even be healthy enough to play by game 20.  He will likely be good for 20 to 30 games after that.  

18 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Olofsson plays his off-wing. Why is it so often reported that he’s a LW?

He did play LW with Sam and Jack to finish the year, didn’t he?

Ive been mentally slotting both he and Alex Nylander as being able to play either side, but I could be wrong.

Botterill has twice mentioned this week about there being more trade talk than trading because GMs have not had any reason to pull the trigger yet. He doesn’t seem to be worried and he hasn’t defaulted into “we like our roster” or “we tried but we didn’t like the market” or any of the other excuses we’ve heard in the past.

The insiders have talked about the RFAs being a big fly in the ointment.How much the Boesers and the Meiers and the McAvoys and the many other top young free agents get will dictate how much salary has to get jettisoned.

I choose to read this as he has irons in the fire for multiple trade scenarios that might work from his perspective,  but they are contingent on what hands his peers are dealt at the contract table.

It’s been reported that agent scuttlebutt suggests that around 30 significant contracts are being shopped to help get teams where they want to be under the cap. We’ve seen 7 moved: Braun, Niskanen, Miller, Trouba, Marleau, Subban and Maatta. There are still a number that could fall.

Edited by dudacek

Not surprised.  The 81.5 cap is going to hit some teams very hard.  

What should also be interesting is to see who (and how) Jbot moves out status quo players like Larsson, Hunwick, Scandella, Sobotka, Smith, Girgensons and ERod (and maybe even Sheary and McCabe or Risto) as he acquires new talent.  The Sabres right now with the qualified RFAs and 2 of Thompson, Nylander and Olofsson have a complete roster.