Hoss

2019-20 Sabres Prospects

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No

Didn't expect he would.  Thanks.

From Corey Pronman.

Regarding the WJSS Last Week

Ryan Johnson, D, Buffalo

Johnson stood out to me consistently through the camp, and even as a 2001 in the 2000 age group, he looks like a strong candidate for the World Junior team this winter. His skating and hockey sense looked very good. “He was a pleasant surprise for us. He has quickness and elusiveness,” said USA general manager John Vanbiesbrouck. The skating was always evident when I watched Johnson last season, but the offense was inconsistent. He was a second power play guy on the eventual USHL champion and some games I didn’t see him make a ton of plays. He was very good down the stretch, though, and made a lot of tough plays in this camp.

“I believe I have a lot of potential, especially on the offensive side. Being deceptive with the puck is a big part of my game,” said Johnson.

Johnson has all the makings of a #3/4 defender. He has excellent skating and will just need a couple years to fill out and learn the game a bit. It is good to hear he is progressing. I have more hope for him than Samuelsson who I still believe has questionable skating agility. 

I am very intrigued by Johnson.

As far as Samuelsson goes, Vanbiesbrouck (I believe in the same interview) called him a “pillar” of the team.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I am too, but I would have phrased it a bit differently. 😉

• Haha (+1) 2

Listened to Jbot on the Instigators and he talked a great deal about our kids

1) Johnson and Samuelsson - Johnson was exceptional at the showcase and thinks he has a great shot at the World Jr team.  Samuelsson will be one of the leaders of that team. Johnson skates well and has a high IQ

2) Cozens - travelled with Canada at the showcase but has been rehabbing in Buffalo.  

3) Portillo - thought Eric was really good for Sweden, winning both their games.  USHL and then Minn over the next two years.  Can’t have enough goaltending 

4) Pekar - Loves Pekar.  Thinks he brings an element we sorely need and likes his skill set. Thinks he’ll be a important player for Czech at World Jrs

5) Jokiharju - loves his skill set and implied could make the Sabres. Loves that he was really good for Sweden at World Jrs and Worlds.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

5) Jokiharju - loves his skill set and implied could make the Sabres. Loves that he was really good for Sweden at World Jrs and Worlds.

There's no doubt he's going to make the team

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

There's no doubt he's going to make the team

I think so also, but with a healthy Bogo, who are your top 6? Dahlin and McCabe are 1, 2 on the LHDs and Montour and Risto 1, 2 RHDs.  That leaves Miller, Jokiharju, Scandella and Bogo fighting for 2 starting jobs.  Jbot didn’t trade for Miller to sit him.  

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Risto

Miller Jokiharju

Scandella Bogo - If those two are riding the pine, that’s 9.143 mill in dead cap space.

54 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Listened to Jbot on the Instigators and he talked a great deal about our kids

1) Johnson and Samuelsson - Johnson was exceptional at the showcase and thinks he has a great shot at the World Jr team.  Samuelsson will be one of the leaders of that team. Johnson skates well and has a high IQ

2) Cozens - travelled with Canada at the showcase but has been rehabbing in Buffalo.  

3) Portillo - thought Eric was really good for Sweden, winning both their games.  USHL and then Minn over the next two years.  Can’t have enough goaltending 

4) Pekar - Loves Pekar.  Thinks he brings an element we sorely need and likes his skill set. Thinks he’ll be a important player for Czech at World Jrs

Just curious, did you typo here or did JBot say he liked how good the Jokiharju was for Sweden.  Just asking, because he's Finnish, not Swedish.  Don't care if you had a typo, but if JBot said Sweden... hoo boy.

On 8/5/2019 at 2:15 PM, dudacek said:

As far as Samuelsson goes, Vanbiesbrouck (I believe in the same interview) called him a “pillar” of the team.

That’s some pretty harsh criticism of Samuelsson’s skating!  

• Haha (+1) 1