2019-20 Sabres Prospects

Hoss

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I know. But as I was told several times that I don't know what I am talking about in regards to drafting, I figured what the hell, why not mention it. 

I hope he doesn't end up like the 2 players from 84-85 season that scored 66g. One never made the NHL and the other played a total of 78gms with four different teams and only had 18g/36pts total. I actually remember him playing for Boston (played 15gms for them), recognized the name right away (Mike Millar). The other player was Graeme Bonar.

On 2/7/2020 at 9:46 AM, WildCard said:

Nothing we can do about it now Liger

Except remind us over and over and over and over.  

On 2/14/2020 at 2:31 AM, PerreaultForever said:

and I wanted to draft Draisaitl but unfortunately we don't work for them, we just have to live with their choices. 

Nope.  You should post here weekly about how much smarter you are than all the scouts.  

• 2 weeks later...

If true, the Sabres should sign Hillis or Fonstad or McShane. I think Hillis is probably who montreal signs but Fonstad or Mcshane would be a good flier to boost Rochester center depth. I haven't kept up on these 3 but Hillis and Fonstad would interesting at that draft. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Sounds like Fonstad is a winger. I would need to see McShane skate, his quickness was dubbed average in draft scouting. Hillis is the one I hope Montreal doesn't sign as he would be the one to take. 

Hillis, McShane, Fonstad in that order if McShane improved his skating. Fonstad being a lw hurts here but I wouldn't mind adding him. 

Edited by LGR4GM

• 4 weeks later...

@inkman @Ogre and anyone else who watches a lot of the Amerks:

Whats your take on Jacob Bryson?

27 points in 61 games is a lot for rookie pro defenceman, particularly one touted for his two-way play and transition game more than his offence coming out.

Seemed pretty poised in my brief looks.

Kid got a future?

Wheeler had Bryson 13th on our prospect board behind Fitzgerald at 12.  He said Fitzgerald projects as a 5-7 D in a few years.  I’d assume he sees something similar for Bryson but his review of Bryson actually sounded better.

13. Jacob Bryson, LHD, 22 (Rochester Americans)

Bryson isn’t what you might expect out of a 5-foot-9 defenceman. It’s easy to look at his size from afar and think “he’s probably dynamic offensively” but “he probably struggles defensively.” The reverse is actually true. Bryson has shown yet again in the AHL this year that he can defend at a high level, particularly off the rush (though he’s good with his stick along the boards too). He’s not going to take over a game offensively, though, or pull you out of your seat with his shot or his hands. He is, however, a smooth skater who can pull away from pressure with his feet, carry it through the neutral zone, walk the blue line laterally or stretch the ice with a pass.

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

@inkman @Ogre and anyone else who watches a lot of the Amerks:

Whats your take on Jacob Bryson?

27 points in 61 games is a lot for rookie pro defenceman, particularly one touted for his two-way play and transition game more than his offence coming out.

Seemed pretty poised in my brief looks.

Kid got a future?

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wheeler had Bryson 13th on our prospect board behind Fitzgerald at 12.  He said Fitzgerald projects as a 5-7 D in a few years.  I’d assume he sees something similar for Bryson but his review of Bryson actually sounded better.

13. Jacob Bryson, LHD, 22 (Rochester Americans)

Bryson isn’t what you might expect out of a 5-foot-9 defenceman. It’s easy to look at his size from afar and think “he’s probably dynamic offensively” but “he probably struggles defensively.” The reverse is actually true. Bryson has shown yet again in the AHL this year that he can defend at a high level, particularly off the rush (though he’s good with his stick along the boards too). He’s not going to take over a game offensively, though, or pull you out of your seat with his shot or his hands. He is, however, a smooth skater who can pull away from pressure with his feet, carry it through the neutral zone, walk the blue line laterally or stretch the ice with a pass.

I like him. Not flashy. Smart.  They had him as the PP QB for the last dozen games or so of the season.  He didn't look out of place.  I think he's a fringe NHL Prospect.  

• Like (+1) 1

Watched the 2019 Draft 1st rd on the NHL Network.  They really liked Ryan Johnson's game.  McKenzie had him as the 2nd best remaining D at the time he was drafted.  Vlasic (was 1st) and he had a similar season at BU as Johnson did.

Button and the gang projected him as a potential top 4 D and as a NHL in as few as 2 additional seasons.  they loved his skating and his ability to move the puck out of the zone.  They said with his speed the offense will come over time.  

Frankly their description of him reminded me of a faster version of Jokiharju with who went 29th in 2017 although I think Jokiharju's O game is more developed.  I can see Johnson as the LHD partner for Risto in a few years if we hold on to Ristolainen.

3 minutes ago, Ducky said:

What would the Sabres want for Mittelstadt?

This year's 1st rounder enough or???

Jets 1st at #12 overall, that’s got to be close if it’s not enough.

You are looking at guys like:

Askarov
Holloway
Mercer
Bourque
Zary
Gunler
Quinn

In a perfect scenario, Perfetti drops there.

I'd easily trade Casey for a reasonably high first like that, if the 2C position is actually addressed in the offseason.

Assuming it's not, I'd keep Casey. The GM is probably counting on one of Cozens or MIttelstadt to be his next 2C, so I'd keep both to up the odds of that happening. 

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

I'd easily trade Casey for a reasonably high first like that, if the 2C position is actually addressed in the offseason.

Assuming it's not, I'd keep Casey. The GM is probably counting on one of Cozens or MIttelstadt to be his next 2C, so I'd keep both to up the odds of that happening. 

I feel like keeping Mitts improves the odds of having a #2C about as much as keeping a roast beef sandwich improves them.  

• Haha (+1) 2

I also think Mitts stays in Roch. to start the year. BUT if he looks really good and is consistently good, I can see him getting called up to Buffalo and staying up after Christmas. Especially if he’s markedly improved while with Buffalo. I hope for his sake, that’s the case. If he struggles all season in Roch. then after the season, I’ll start to consider moving on from Mitts. But I want to give a 21-22 year old, another full (20-21) season to see if he can figure things out. It would be such a bonus if he does.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.