2019-20 Sabres Prospects

Hoss

Yes because he seems to be a bit of a late bloomer, still learning how to best use that gazelle of a body he has that I believe happened late.  I'd give him at least one more year and I still think it's a learning thing.  Saw short spurts of his efforts along the boards, but also saw him struggle under his own feet.  If he can ever figure it out with that shot it'll be worth the Sabres patience with him.

Edited by North Buffalo

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

They made it clear a few weeks before he was sent down that they were going to send him down so he could play and succeed in the AHL playoffs once the NHL season was effectively done. He only missed the last weekend of an NHL season well-past lost. Nothing in management's demeanor suggested that this was a sign that he had lost his spot on the team; it seemed pretty clear to me they had told him the opposite.

To characterize him as a player who needs development is entirely fair. And it is possible we could see him losing his spot in training camp. But that is also true of guys like Sobotka and Wilson and Nelson and even guys like Girgensons and Casey and Okposo. This is not a Pilut situation, where he got his cup of coffee and was deemed not ready. Tage was in Buffalo all year.

Whether we consider him an NHL player yet or not (I don't, so I certainly see your point) is kind of irrelevant, IMO. To characterize him as a player Botterill doesn't have pencilled in as one of our 13-14 NHL forwards to start next season goes against everything we've seen Jason do and say do far.

Which was always strange to me because Tage was never ready and handing off a bunch of primary assists to the our opponents via dumb passes or failed toe-drags in a two week stretch in November probably should have told them that - if his on-ice results consistently being horrifying didn't. I feel really bad for what they did to Tage. By February the dude looked completely broken and without any confidence 

It should have been a Pilut situation because he never showed anything close to Pilut's highs, even within the games he scored a couple of nice goals, and there was a lot of "wooooooow that is bad" 

Sobotka was quietly an offensive black hole, Tage did it out in the open for all to see 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the Sabres' being awful with a bunch of players' usage, including Tage's, doesn't impact his status as a prospect

He's just a prospect who was out of place all year where they put him 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

In speaking with Mr. Sabres Prospects even he is troubled by whether or not to consider Tage a prospect.

So, let’s have a vote: do you consider Tage Thompson to be a prospect? Use the Stanley Cup (awesome) reaction for yes, use the Beer (thanks) reaction for no.

In what world can a 21 year old not be a prospect, unless they are an all world talent?

Sabres fans are broken.

F U Darcy.

• Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SwampD said:

In what world can a 21 year old not be a prospect, unless they are an all world talent?

Sabres fans are broken.

F U Darcy.

Read the discussion. You’ll see why some question it instead of being unnecessarily condescending.

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI:  Baker had Thompson listed as a prospect on his website at season's end.

http://www.sabresprospects.com/p/system-status.html

Sabres System.JPG

This isn’t updated. For example: Cornel has aged out.

11 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Read the discussion. You’ll see why some question it instead of being unnecessarily condescending.

I wrote that it was updated at season's end.  Cornel hasn't aged out.  He turned 23 in April.  He hasn't been offered a contract however.  

Thompson is only 21.  It stands to reason if Baker considered him a prospect on 4/28/2019 he'd still be a prospect on 6/24/2019 as he hasn't played since April.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

15 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I read it, and no condescension intended. Sorry if it came acrost that way. We just have rushed players to the NHL ever since Darcy said suffering.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

I read it, and no condescension intended. Sorry if it came acrost that way. We just have rushed players to the NHL ever since Darcy said suffering.

I don’t think that has anything to do with it or our perception. To some there’s a limit on games you can play before you lose the “prospect” label. Nobody is saying his development is anywhere near complete.

By the way for prospects signed from 18-20 years old are waivers exempt for a minimum of 3 years or 160 games.  I think if you can get sent down without going through waivers you should still be a prospect.

Also the AHL generally refers to any player with under 260 pro games a developmental player.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

By the way for prospects signed from 18-20 years old are waivers exempt for a minimum of 3 years or 160 games.  I think if you can get sent down without going through waivers you should still be a prospect.

Also the AHL generally refers to any player with under 260 pro games a developmental player.  

Relevant for sure. Dahlin and Mittelstadt would fit under those criteria. What's the non-subjective way to demonstrate why Rasmus is a player and Thompson a prospect and Casey not something in between?

How about when making a list, we don't call it a prospect list and just call it an Under-25 List, or Under-24 List.  I think that gives a better idea of the young talent a team possesses without getting into the mostly irrelevant, semantical argument about who is or isn't a "prospect".

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

How about when making a list, we don't call it a prospect list and just call it an Under-25 List, or Under-24 List.  I think that gives a better idea of the young talent a team possesses without getting into the mostly irrelevant, semantical argument about who is or isn't a "prospect".

Because everyone already knows Dahlin and Mittlestadt.  I’m not interested in where they are in our pecking order.  I want to learn and debate the guys not on the team that are coming.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Relevant for sure. Dahlin and Mittelstadt would fit under those criteria. What's the non-subjective way to demonstrate why Rasmus is a player and Thompson a prospect and Casey not something in between?

Playing and finishing an entire season in the NHL?  Guys like Mitts and Raz are never going to play in the AHL. Thompson May very well start next season in Rochester.  

How about prospects are defined as Waiver Exempt players 23 and under who spent time in the previous season in the AHL or lower leagues?  As Dahlin and Mitts played only in the NHL they are no longer “prospects,” but since Thompson is 21, waiver exempt and ended up in the AHL he is still a prospect.

Next season, if he plays 60 NHL games again, he’ll lose his waiver exemption and therefore even if he returns to the AHL or starts there his “prospect” status is gone.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Playing and finishing an entire season in the NHL?  Guys like Mitts and Raz are never going to play in the AHL. Thompson May very well start next season in Rochester.  

He had better start next year in Rochester.

Playing and finishing an entire seasonHow about prospects are defined as Waiver Exempt players 23 and under who spent time in the previous season in the AHL or lower leagues?  As Dahlin and Mitts played only in the NHL they are no longer “prospects,” but since Thompson is 21, waiver exempt and ended up in the AHL he is still a prospect.

As a straight, objective definition for the somewhat ethereal word of "prospect", I can get behind this.

12 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

He had better start next year in Rochester.

As a straight, objective definition for the somewhat ethereal word of "prospect", I can get behind this.

Me too.

Can we simply rank them in order of how good an NHL career we think they end up having?

Avoids questions of floor/ceiling and how close they are to the NHL.

Edited by dudacek

Projecting the NHL timeline for all of the Sabres’ top prospects 
https://theathletic.com/1042953/2019/06/24/projecting-the-nhl-timeline-for-all-of-the-sabres-top-prospects/

Pronme had an interesting way of ruling out guys like Mitts, Nylander, Pilut Oloffson and Thompson stating they are there or should be there next year and have had at "least a cup of coffee with big club..". my words... adding Borgen is on the cusp.

17 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI:  Baker had Thompson listed as a prospect on his website at season's end.

http://www.sabresprospects.com/p/system-status.html

Sabres System.JPG

^ that’s exactly the list this board should draw from. Just add this years draftees.

Someone make a top 10 list. Poll style. Then everyone gets one vote who they think the top prospect is. They also say who they think should be on the next list. The prospect with the most mentions gets added to the next (#2 prospect) poll. Fans can only draw from the list from Kris Baker (and the just drafted ones).

it goes on and on until we reach #20 in prospect depth. So 20 separate polls. Each new poll created has a growing list of the “prospect/winner” of the prior poll.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I really don't think you can consider someone with 100 NHL games to be a prospect if you want the word to have any meaning whatsoever. 

Ok, but that’s just opinion. How does Kris Baker define it? How does the NHL define it?

take the guess work and opinion out of it, even if it’s disagreeable. ?‍♂️

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.