Overall Draft thoughts

GASabresIUFAN

44 minutes ago, Hoss said:

My guess: Tim Murray doesn't feel like working. If he wanted a job evaluating talent in the NHL he'd have one.

Or he's having fun with the horses and Terry's big, fat severance check is buying him a lot of beer?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Weave said:

Calling the female owner of the team the queen mother of all bad things you can call a female may be a contributing factor.  He may have branded himself a personality you don't want in a professional organization.

Allegedly.

I agree.  Probably contributing factor to an Executive position but a scout  is on the road 90% of the time and not in the home office.  If he is great, probably finds a home soon. 

9 hours ago, inkman said:

It's the NHL draft.  Outside of top 10 picks, almost none of the kids, in any org, will be NHLers for a minimum of 3 years. 

I was thinking more of how it's just drafting and not making moves like Carolina, Vancouver or New Jersey did. We will see if free agency yields anything, but we have the cap room to take someone on AND add quality for doing that and so far not a peep. So it's all slow building via the draft. Yes, he added Skinner, but also ditched ROR and Kane so no immediate progress outside the draft. 

On 6/23/2019 at 2:26 PM, Hoss said:

Murray was always that gym rat who was good at drafting. I'm hoping we'll be thanking him in a few years.

I’m not so sure that his drafts are going to look particularly good.  In three drafts, he selected 25 players.  I’ll list those who look to possibly have any kind of NHL futures:  Reinhart, Brendan Lemieux, Jonas Johansson, Olofsson, Eichel, Guhle, Borgen, Nylander, Asplund, Casey Fitzgerald.

the 1st round picks are expected to hit, and one of those isn’t looking great.  If we are thanking Murray in the future it will be for getting us Olofsson, Borgen, and Asplund.

Just for context, I looked at who many players typically do hit from any given draft yapear.

Between 2006 and 2010, between 53 and 67 players per year played 100 NHL games. About 15 to 20 of those per year failed to reach 200 games.

So two players per year looks pretty standard.

https://theathletic.com/1049600/2019/06/27/what-we-learned-about-the-future-of-nhl-at-the-2019-draft/

Very interesting article about the shrinking of NHL players, except goalie height wise and the growth of drafting out of the NCAA, USHL and Europe.  It seems more and more teams are moving toward the Jbot development model and focusing on length of time in which they control the prospect and control over what leagues the prospects play in.  Apparently only Ottawa hasn’t jumped on the trend.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/1049600/2019/06/27/what-we-learned-about-the-future-of-nhl-at-the-2019-draft/

Very interesting article about the shrinking of NHL players, except goalie height wise and the growth of drafting out of the NCAA, USHL and Europe.  It seems more and more teams are moving toward the Jbot development model and focusing on length of time in which they control the prospect and control over what leagues the prospects play in.  Apparently only Ottawa hasn’t jumped on the trend.

Nonsense.  JBott is a moron who hates CHL players.

• Haha (+1) 4

On 6/22/2019 at 9:54 PM, Pimlach said:

What if ... the NHL changed the minimum draft age to 19?  

Would drafts be more impactful and would it make it easier to build a bottom feeder into a playoff team?  

there has been a lot of talk about this but its not that easy. how do  you handle the first year? none of the "top" prospects would be eligible, you'd have a draft of complete over-agers.

On 06/22/2019 at 9:54 PM, Pimlach said:

What if ... the NHL changed the minimum draft age to 19?  

Would drafts be more impactful and would it make it easier to build a bottom feeder into a playoff team?  

Drafts would be more impactful.  And bottom feeders would better figure out who to be drafting as they'd've seen the players grow 1 more year before selecting.  Long run though, the best talent evaluators would still predominantly wind up on top as their later round hit rates would still likely be superior to the guys that still would only hit at the top.

But, how do you propose convincing the NHLPA to agree to suppressing 18 year olds from making a living at the union's trade and what sort of "hardship" carve outs would you include to make it allowable under US and Canadian labor laws?

20 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

there has been a lot of talk about this but its not that easy. how do  you handle the first year? none of the "top" prospects would be eligible, you'd have a draft of complete over-agers.

I’d phase it in. First- two rounds this year, First round next year, opt-in only year three.

Any team drafting an underager would be required to keep him on the roster for the following season.

Edited by dudacek

Why change the draft age?  All that will do is send more top players out of the CHL/USHL/College to play pro hockey in Europe for a season, like Auston Matthews did.

Drafting philosophies change over time.  If teams find overagers succeed more often then the 17/18 years olds, they start drafting them more often leaving the younger players another year or two to develop before being drafted.  The top kids however are often ready at 18.  Why should they be barred from playing?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

As a GM, it would take some of the guesswork out of scouting, and as a fan it would give me more immediate gratification from my top pick.

Why not hold them back from being draft eligible until age 21?  That would take even more guess work out of drafting, so that would be better, wouldn’t it? (Sarcasm)

These are adults.  If they are good enough to do a job, they should not be artificially prevented from it.

I don’t think taking more guess work out of the draft or giving the fans more instant gratification makes the league any better.

21 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Why not hold them back from being draft eligible until age 21?  That would take even more guess work out of drafting, so that would be better, wouldn’t it? (Sarcasm)

These are adults.  If they are good enough to do a job, they should not be artificially prevented from it.

I don’t think taking more guess work out of the draft or giving the fans more instant gratification makes the league any better.

But the vast majority aren’t good enough for the job at all, let alone at 18, and the ability to opt in means they aren’t prevented from getting it.

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

As a GM, it would take some of the guesswork out of scouting, and as a fan it would give me more immediate gratification from my top pick.

But we have the great Jason Botterill for our GM. We shouldn't want to level the playing field by making things easier for GMs because it would reduce our advantage over all the other teams who don't have Jason Botterill. Shouldn't we want to want the job to be as tough as possible so we can leverage his greatness?

Edited by Drunkard

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

But the vast majority aren’t good enough for the job at all, let alone at 18, and the ability to opt in means they aren’t prevented from getting it.

How would they opt in?  Wouldn’t they all want to opt in?

Also, don’t you think it benefits the development of drafted 18-21 year olds to have access to NHL coaching/facilities/guidance?

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

Did anyone ever actually think this? I think a lot accepted that he generally avoids the CHL, but who thought he actually hated the players?

I’m not going back and quoting people to call them out.  Just happy I don’t have to keep seeing it over and over again next draft.  I hope.

Not to mention I was obviously being facetious.

Edited by Derrico

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.