ROUND 3 PICK 67 - G Erik Portillo (SWE)

Ho-Chi-Sock

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

OK, but why does it seem that the Sabres is the only blind squirrel in the NHL that cannot seem to find a nut....ever (maybe Olofsson can break the cycle)?

I think Borgen will be a player for them soon. 

And last couple of years, his later round Finnish picks are on track to be excellent picks

2 hours ago, jad1 said:

So you're saying the Sabres shouldn't have traded Pu for Skinner?

Drafting kids at 17 and 18 is crapshoot.  Most kids drafted in the later rounds level off and just aren't NHL quality players.

Trades play a huge role in building NHL rosters.  Trading draft assets for better prospects or established players is not a bad thing.

Of course Jbot was correct to trade Pu.  The difference is that Byron and McNabb had already played in the NHL and were likely ready to contribute more to this team when they were shipped out.

McNabb plus 2 2nd rd picks for Fasching and Delo.  Awful.  Cernak for TB was taken with one of the 2 2nd rd picks.

Bryon and Butler went to Calg for Robyn Regher, Kotalik and a 2nd rd pick.  Regher was later sent to LA for the 2nd second rd picks that TM gladly gave away with McNabb for Fasching.  

No wonder we still suck.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Over the last decade we had a bad habit of trading developing later picks before they fully matured like McNabb and Byron on top of making lousy picks from the 2nd rd down.  It’s one of the reasons we are where we are. Where would this team be if some of Cornel, Bailey, Baptiste, and Fasching actually developed into real NHL players? 

Still Foligno, Ullmark, Petersen, Borgen and Olofsson are all 4th rd or later picks.  Maybe Borgen and Olofsson will make an impact next season.

There are a few more last two years that have my hopes up.   UPL, Laaksonen, Byson and Weissbach.   (spelling might not be right, I'm a bit durnk )

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Pick a goalie every year I say. check, done. Personally, I think Ellis would have been better but hey, I think a later round goalie in the system is always a good idea as they develop on weird time lines.

Exactly. And this kid seems like he has legit potential. I just wonder about his route. He's leaving playing in Sweden to go and play in the USHL and then in the fall of 2020 will join the University of Michigan? I forget who said it but i heard that despite college has become a huge asset for player development for players going to the NHL but it still lacks for goaltenders because most college teams are not willing to hire a full-time goaltender coach. Heard it like a year ago so i forget who said it. So it's interesting that this guy is going away from playing in a professional league for college.

9 hours ago, Briere48 said:

Exactly. And this kid seems like he has legit potential. I just wonder about his route. He's leaving playing in Sweden to go and play in the USHL and then in the fall of 2020 will join the University of Michigan? I forget who said it but i heard that despite college has become a huge asset for player development for players going to the NHL but it still lacks for goaltenders because most college teams are not willing to hire a full-time goaltender coach. Heard it like a year ago so i forget who said it. So it's interesting that this guy is going away from playing in a professional league for college.

Depends on college I suppose

10 hours ago, Briere48 said:

Oh, you're going to LOVE this ...

https://mgoblue.com/coaches.aspx?rc=4039&path=mhockey

”And HERE COMES SHIELDS ....”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Of course Jbot was correct to trade Pu.  The difference is that Byron and McNabb had already played in the NHL and were likely ready to contribute more to this team when they were shipped out.

McNabb plus 2 2nd rd picks for Fasching and Delo.  Awful.  Cernak for TB was taken with one of the 2 2nd rd picks.

Bryon and Butler went to Calg for Robyn Regher, Kotalik and a 2nd rd pick.  Regher was later sent to LA for the 2nd second rd picks that TM gladly gave away with McNabb for Fasching.  

No wonder we still suck.

This team doesn't suck because they traded Byron and McNabb. 

How much ice time do you think McNabb would have gotten under Bylsma or Housley?  Buffalo's archetype defenseman the last 5 years has been Kris Letang.  McNabb doesn't fit that archetype. 

Byron had 16 goals the four years he played in Calgary after being traded by Buffalo.  That wouldn't have helped the Sabres screaming need for top six fowards. And at that time, the trade wasn't even that bad.  A salary dump, two slow-developing prospects for a veteran physical defenseman and a 2nd round pick. That's a trade most would make all day.

• 1 year later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.