ROUND 3 PICK 67 - G Erik Portillo (SWE)

Ho-Chi-Sock

Just now, Zamboni said:

So some fans still freak out and demand GM’s get fired for 3rd -7th round picks. The same picks that have like a 15% or less chance of carving out a career (over 200 games) in the NHL. Now that’s funny.

His post was sarcasm.

9 minutes ago, Mike Oxhurtz said:

Portillo...with a name like that, he should have been drafted by Chicago.

“Please, do not ask for ketchup ....”

We have one here in Tampa, now ... yum.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Even if he sucks, I'd start him against Boston every game.

“Val James.”  Scotty Bowman to Jimmy Roberts, 1981 - 1982.

All due respect to Mr. James, with no “arrested” connection expressed or implied.

Edited by Neo

37 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

So some fans still freak out and demand GM’s get fired for 3rd -7th round picks. The same picks that have like a 15% or less chance of carving out a career (over 200 games) in the NHL. Now that’s funny.

Doesn't your quote show something is wrong? Shouldn't a 3rd round pick have a better chance of making the league? I know this isn't the NFL but it seems to make the draft kinda useless. Just thinking...not criticizing your post

20 minutes ago, nucci said:

Doesn't your quote show something is wrong? Shouldn't a 3rd round pick have a better chance of making the league? I know this isn't the NFL but it seems to make the draft kinda useless. Just thinking...not criticizing your post

I’d like to give you a bag of 200 Fuji apples. Please rank them in DEFINITIVE order from best tasting to worst tasting. 

31 minutes ago, nucci said:

10 minutes ago, SDS said:

I’d like to give you a bag of 200 Fuji apples. Please rank them in DEFINITIVE order from best tasting to worst tasting. 

I think you are both saying the same thing.  The third round and later is essentially throwing darts blindfolded.

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think you are both saying the same thing.  The third round and later is essentially throwing darts blindfolded.

OK, but why does it seem that the Sabres is the only blind squirrel in the NHL that cannot seem to find a nut....ever (maybe Olofsson can break the cycle)?

3 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

OK, but why does it seem that the Sabres is the only blind squirrel in the NHL that cannot seem to find a nut....ever (maybe Olofsson can break the cycle)?

This can probably be easily proven or disproven. 

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Over the last decade we had a bad habit of trading developing later picks before they fully matured like McNabb and Byron on top of making lousy picks from the 2nd rd down.  It’s one of the reasons we are where we are. Where would this team be if some of Cornel, Bailey, Baptiste, and Fasching actually developed into real NHL players? 

Still Foligno, Ullmark, Petersen, Borgen and Olofsson are all 4th rd or later picks.  Maybe Borgen and Olofsson will make an impact next season.

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Over the last decade we had a bad habit of trading developing later picks before they fully matured like McNabb and Byron on top of making lousy picks from the 2nd rd down.  It’s one of the reasons we are where we are. Where would this team be if some of Cornel, Bailey, Baptiste, and Fasching actually developed into real NHL players? 

Still Foligno, Ullmark, Petersen, Borgen and Olofsson are all 4th rd or later picks.  Maybe Borgen and Olofsson will make an impact next season.

So you're saying the Sabres shouldn't have traded Pu for Skinner?

Drafting kids at 17 and 18 is crapshoot.  Most kids drafted in the later rounds level off and just aren't NHL quality players.

Trades play a huge role in building NHL rosters.  Trading draft assets for better prospects or established players is not a bad thing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.