Pick #31 Ryan Johnson Defenseman

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

At what point does it end.  You have your rankings. The Sabres have theirs.  The Sabres draft guys accordingly to their list, which doesn’t match yours.  Then you get mad and repeatedly tell us how dumb the Sabres are.  It must be exhausting. 

It can be challenging to keep up, especially with the inside hockey posters. It becomes a game of half dozen of one, half dozen of the other. It's one of those things where I just can't go all in on one side and stick to certain talking points even when I know I'm wrong or have lingering doubts.

36 minutes ago, inkman said:

At what point does it end.  You have your rankings. The Sabres have theirs.  The Sabres draft guys accordingly to their list, which doesn’t match yours.  Then you get mad and repeatedly tell us how dumb the Sabres are.  It must be exhausting. 

You brought it up! I literally just mentioned Johnson staying in college 1 more year. 

You did this. This entire conversation is because of you. 

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Lot of hate early on in this thread for the Johnson pick being a reach, how's that looking two years later? (genuine question)

I had him at 31 so not a reach per say but again it's about the value on the board. 

He's tracking for a 4/5 nhl defender. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, inkman said:

You left out the part where the guys the Sabres draft end up being worse (and usually much worse) than the player that poster wanted them to take at that spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

Let's do this. 

Nick Robertson: 16 points in 21 AHL games

Nils Hoglander: 27 points in 56 NHL games

Arthur Kaliyev: 31 points in 40 AHL games

Ryan Johnson: 14 points in 27 NCAA games

Jackson Lacombe: 21 points in 27 NCAA games

I bring up Lacombe because he went after Johnson and has out produced him. Both defenders in the ncaa. It's about value at your picks and that's why Carolina and LA draft well, they get good value at picks because other teams do worse. Ryan Johnson is at least an nhl talent, so we've taken a step in the right direction. 

Why don’t you make a thread that is your resume builder instead of ruining every other thread with the age old ‘I knew better’ argument?  
People want to hear highlights about this kid, no what not only the Sabres but usually 5-6 entire other scouting departments also skipped over.

I agree with you Johnson is a classic case of not picking BPA and getting burned. It’s also a high floor low ceiling approach which is exhausting, but made sense at the time where we went a decade batting 0.000 at 2nd-4th rounders.

But keep that to a thread that is your resume builder instead.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, triumph_communes said:

Why don’t you make a thread that is your resume builder instead of ruining every other thread with the age old ‘I knew better’ argument?  
People want to hear highlights about this kid, no what not only the Sabres but usually 5-6 entire other scouting departments also skipped over.

I agree with you Johnson is a classic case of not picking BPA and getting burned. It’s also a high floor low ceiling approach which is exhausting, but made sense at the time where we went a decade batting 0.000 at 2nd-4th rounders.

I didn't ***** start this conversation!

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I hope it doesn't - I always learn a lot from the posts.

I honestly don't really understand the fascination with questioning the merits of how other people like to post. It's not like his arguments aren't consistent on the matter, which is really the only thing that matters to me - there's no hidden bias here. 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I hope it doesn't - I always learn a lot from the posts.

I honestly don't really understand the fascination with questioning the merits of how other people like to post. It's not like his arguments aren't consistent on the matter, which is really the only thing that matters to me - there's no hidden bias here. 

I guess I just need to stop reading this forum.   Bye. 

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

I prefer a well-rounded picture, complete with highlights, negatives, comparisons, all of it. If you want one-note garbage try Twitter

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

I guess I just need to stop reading this forum.   Bye. 

See you on twitter 

😉

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Let's do this. 

Nick Robertson: 16 points in 21 AHL games

Nils Hoglander: 27 points in 56 NHL games

Arthur Kaliyev: 31 points in 40 AHL games

Ryan Johnson: 14 points in 27 NCAA games

Jackson Lacombe: 21 points in 27 NCAA games

I bring up Lacombe because he went after Johnson and has out produced him. Both defenders in the ncaa. It's about value at your picks and that's why Carolina and LA draft well, they get good value at picks because other teams do worse. Ryan Johnson is at least an nhl talent, so we've taken a step in the right direction. 

But points don’t tell the whole story with dmen.  Those are all good players. Johnson looks like he might be a decade long NHLer with his skating and brains. Good value where he was picked but those other players maybe stars, time will tell.

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Haven't you already said that five hundred times? What's one more goodbye thrown into the mountainous pile.  

Man, don't encourage this. inky is OG.  We don't want him gone and we don't want anyone providing a last tug.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

But points don’t tell the whole story with dmen.  Those are all good players. Johnson looks like he might be a decade long NHLer with his skating and brains. Good value where he was picked but those other players maybe stars, time will tell.

No, points don’t tell the whole story for D men. Far from it. And yet, three of the four comparisons made are to forwards. It’s a ludicrous comparison. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.