Pick #31 Ryan Johnson Defenseman

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

You go BPA here... and there were two forwards ranked way higher?‍♂️?‍♂️

Have to agree with this take.  The guy might turn into a solid defender, but we know what it's like to be scraping out the cupboards looking for scoring.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Just a lazy pick

I disagree with the pick but I also disagree with this. Obviously they’ve done a fair share of scouting, enough to trust their own evaluations over those of many other scouts. A lazy pick would have been grabbing the highest rates CSS* ranked player and calling it a day. 

*insert preferred rankings here 

• Like (+1) 6

Pronman 

1. Buffalo Sabres: Ryan Johnson, D, Sioux Falls-USHL

July 24, 2001 | six-foot | 161 pounds

Johnson was a name touted in the prospect world for a few years. He didn’t put up amazing boxcar numbers, but he was a solid two-way defenseman for Sioux Falls who tilted the ice when he was on and was a rock at the World Jr. A Challenge for Team USA. What immediately stands out is his skating. He’s an effortless skater who can evade checks and generate clean zone exits with his feet. He’s not a blazing fast skater, but his edges and first step are high end. Johnson has a good skill level but that part of his game didn’t stand out as much as his feet. Some scouts think his puck game is great, but I’ve seen him just good in that regard. He sees the ice very well, and while he can make a big play, he also has a tendency to turn too many pucks over and at times be careless with his decisions. I don’t see him as a true point producer in the NHL. Defensively he’s not the biggest guy, but he’s so solid due to his smarts and mobility. His gap control is very good and often closes on guys quicker than they anticipate. Truth be told, he’s a player I’ve never been blown away by, but he’s a player who every scout and USHL source I know pushed very hard, so this ranking may undervalue him a bit.

Sioux Falls Stampede GM/coach Scott Owens on Johnson: “He’s a very strong skater and passer. He’s a really good defender. His offense is untapped and his offensive abilities improved over the course of the season.”

Team Fit: In Johnson, Buffalo gets a player who may not have put up huge numbers but had a ton of scouts very excited about his potential. He was a point of debate all season in the scouting community, but he was an important part of a championship team. The Sabres don’t really have a player in their pipeline who can skate and move pucks like he does, but he will need several years to develop.

Ryan Johnson  https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/290138/ryan-johnson

Very skilled skater with good hockey sense and compete-level. Not a physical player, Johnson relies on his way of reading the game. Not too flashy either, when he is not skating with the puck, but a solid defender and a good team player

Johnson is a great skater, who can generate speed with ease and is nimble on his edges. He’s an elusive puck-carrier, EPrinkside.com 2019
 He plays with an active stick in the defensive zone and defends the blue line well by standing up opponents, Future Considerations 2019
 His mobility also extended to lateral and backwards motion, as he is very hard to beat with pure speed, McKeen's Hockey2019
 He holds the offensive blueline nicely and has a knack for preventing chip outs and getting the puck back in deep, McKeen's Hockey2019

"Johnson is a great skater, who can generate speed with ease and is nimble on his edges. He’s an elusive puck-carrier"  - EPrinkside.com 2019
He plays with an active stick in the defensive zone and defends the blue line well by standing up opponents" - Future Considerations 2019
 His mobility also extended to lateral and backwards motion, as he is very hard to beat with pure speed" McKeen's Hockey 2019
 "He holds the offensive blueline nicely and has a knack for preventing chip outs and getting the puck back in deep"-  McKeen's Hockey 2019

Just now, Berg said:
"Johnson is a great skater, who can generate speed with ease and is nimble on his edges. He’s an elusive puck-carrier"  - EPrinkside.com 2019
He plays with an active stick in the defensive zone and defends the blue line well by standing up opponents" - Future Considerations 2019
 His mobility also extended to lateral and backwards motion, as he is very hard to beat with pure speed" McKeen's Hockey 2019
 "He holds the offensive blueline nicely and has a knack for preventing chip outs and getting the puck back in deep"-  McKeen's Hockey 2019

Copy Cat

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I disagree with the pick but I also disagree with this. Obviously they’ve done a fair share of scouting, enough to trust their own evaluations over those of many other scouts. A lazy pick would have been grabbing the highest rates CSS* ranked player and calling it a day. 

*insert preferred rankings here 

It's lazy because it was there default. Dumb pick and again that isn't because Johnson is bad just there were better options. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

Thank you to the people who are now trying to throw information out there about the actual player as opposed to flaunting their own fake ratings

Sorry I dislike a pick when I felt there was more talent on the board. Next year I'll just not post anything about prospects and my fake ratings. 

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Did you see their board? What do you mean by default? 

They default to defense. 

More specifically I think they default and over rank ushl and foreign defenders. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

It's lazy because it was there default. Dumb pick and again that isn't because Johnson is bad just there were better options. 

That’s your opinion. If if was worth more value you would be paid professionally to give it. You have no knowledge of their draft board or what was going on in their war room. 

• Like (+1) 1

As i've said multiple times. I like the player but think there were better options. 

Since no one wants my fake rankings or opinions. Goodnight. Enjoy day 2. 

8 hours ago, #freejame said:

That’s your opinion. If if was worth more value you would be paid professionally to give it. You have no knowledge of their draft board or what was going on in their war room. 

And that's it. 

Edited by LGR4GM
Spelling

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sorry I dislike a pick when I felt there was more talent on the board. Next year I'll just not post anything about prospects and my fake ratings. 

They default to defense. 

More specifically I think they default and over rank ushl and foreign defenders. 

Why would any team default to one position? They have a board and go BPA, according to them 

Their board, like that of every team if you look at the results of tonight and any other draft, is just a lot different from the ones we see all season

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

Thank you to the people who are now trying to throw information out there about the actual player as opposed to flaunting their own fake ratings

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They default to defense. 

There comes a point every year where you seem to start ***** a bit too much. Your insight into prospects is valuable and appreciated, but what seems to be personal offense in obnoxious. 

Edited by #freejame
Censor creates too much ambiguity. Should read choking the chicken, only in the official term.
  • Like (+1) 1

Here is where we stand on D prospects without Johnson

1) Pilut - 23 - FA - small pucking moving LHD

2) Borgen - 22 - 4th rd (2015) -physical stay at home RHD

3) Laaksonen - 20 (in July) - 3rd rd (2017) - swift puck moving RHD

4) Samuelsson - 19 - 2nd rd (2018) - physical stay at home LHD

5) Bryson - 21 - 4th rd (2017) - small all around LHD

6) Dougherty - 23 - 2nd rd (2015) - Stay at home RHD

Johnson doesn't turn 18 until the end of July.  He is a fast puck moving LHD and is over 5 year younger then the other LHD prospect with a similar skill set Pilut.  Looking at this prospect depth chart it's pretty easy to see where he fits long-term.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

As i've said multiple times. I like the player but think there were better options. 

Since no one wants my fake rankings or opinions. Goodnight. Enjoy day 2. I won't be commenting on it.

And that's it. 

The problem is your reaction to any pick that doesn’t fall inline with your philosophy is unnecessarily over the top and loaded with unprovable statements. None of which are just simply that they had a different opinion than you. 

I’ve enjoyed almost all your draft commentary. I don’t think the opinions expressed in your disappointment are as well justified. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I would have preferred they go to Kaliyev with the pick.  

I guess they felt the need to balance.  I dunno.  I don't know enough about Johnson, but I figured getting some goal scoring talent into the pipeline would trump a slight reach for D.

I think you guys are being too harsh on LGR.  His negative opinion of the pick is no less valid than anyone's positive opinion of the pick.  Come on.

You might value picking a D here, obviously the Sabres do, but not a one of you can say you always agree with every stinking move they make.  I give you the ROR trade.  When is the logic of "you don't know what was happening behind the scenes" applied to that around here?  LGR is owed his opinion just like anyone else.  

Edited by ...
I need another pot of coffee, excuse me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.