Pick #7 Dylan Cozens (C)

Hoss

5 minutes ago, Neo said:

no one get me wrong.    i love the pick.

Me too. I like the value, I like the skill package,  like the character and I like the fit.

I posted a few weeks back that thing that scared me most about this draft was that of the half-dozen intriguing players that would be available, we would end up picking the only one that would end up busting.

I don’t think we did that.

We already have Eichel, Dahlin, etc. Even if we acquired the next Matthews we couldn’t really afford him. Picking guys who are safe complimentary picks that fit a role no other rostered player currently provides since Folingo is a good thing. Tons of picks who will at least play depth roles is how we will end up with continued success. 

People who are mad at Botterill and prefer a TM’s draft need to be reminded with how many of his 1st and 2nd round picks even panned out, or the players he traded multiple 1st and 2nd round picks for don’t even play for the team anymore because they were so busted. 

Safe picks are what this team needs the most. Cozens is a safe pick and that’s great. 

And if they want to play him right away/- remember Krueger was the only coach in the league that made Yakupov not only serviceable, but look like a star. The ‘rushed’ examples like Mittelstadt were stuck playing with Okposo all season because we had a dumb coach. If they think Cozens can grow into his body playing here, then trust them. I bet he spends a year beefing up though, he has a lot of frame to fit into still. 

3 hours ago, Derrico said:

I don't doubt at all they are on a 5 year plan.  I still think he needs to be active this summer.  You can't miss the playoffs and win the cup in a couple years.  Get a couple of stop gaps (ala Stasney) that help us get in the playoffs today and get some valuable playoff experience for the group.  Maybe this pushes Mitts down a line which is fine.  Coz will keep developing next year in Lethbridge.  My point is, I agree with you and things look really good about 3 years from now but let's supplements the existing core to bridge us to a top 6 that includes Mitts, Cozens and possibly Olofsson.

This is the line I had an issue with I guess.

The one thing I've learned about sports is that this means very little

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

If Botterill doesn't bring in a 2C this offseason and our C spine is underwhelming this season and next, he's not going to be around as a GM when that C corps takes off, like you say. 

Bringing in a 2C this summer is even more important now than it was before. These young Cs we have need to be brought along properly.

Not to mention that not even the Soviet Politburo does five-year plans anymore.

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

We already have Eichel, Dahlin, etc. Even if we acquired the next Matthews we couldn’t really afford him. Picking guys who are safe complimentary picks that fit a role no other rostered player currently provides since Folingo is a good thing. Tons of picks who will at least play depth roles is how we will end up with continued success. 

Safe picks are what this team needs the most. Cozens is a safe pick and that’s great. 

I 100% disagree with everything in the first paragraph. The player has 3 years of elc where we very much could afford them and then if needed can trade them for assets. This team lacks talent and the idea we can't afford talent is insane to me. 

Further, idk where this narrative about Cozens is coming from. There's this sudden perception that he's some safe pick who will probably be a what? 2nd line winger? He's got first line potential. Is he safe because his floor is high? Safe is starting to sound like he's just ok and that's what we need. It's a bad narrative that should end. Cozens is a good pick and we should be happy he fell to us. He isn't some complimentary player. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 4

@Randall Flagg - Came across this interesting fact:

Cozens was nearly a point per game in his rookie season in the WHL, scoring 53 points in 57 games.  In his age 16 season, Cozens was brought in for 12 playoff games, and scored eight points.  That's the second most by a WHL player under 16, as Brayden Point scored 10.

Have no clue if Cozens even plays a similar game to Point but he's sitting in pretty good company.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I 100% disagree with everything in the first paragraph. The player has 3 years of elc where we very much could afford them and then if needed can trade them for assets. This team lacks talent and the idea we can't afford talent is insane to me. 

Further, idk where this narrative about Cozens is coming from. There's this sudden perception that he's some safe pick who will probably be a what? 2nd line winger? He's got first line potential. Is he safe because his floor is high? Safe is starting to sound like he's just ok and that's what we need. It's a bad narrative that should end. Cozens is a good pick and we should be happy he fell to us. He isn't some complimentary player. 

Safe means high floor, connotes low ceiling, yes.  The digressions of the pick all focus on other players available having higher ceilings (higher hockey IQ).  This is especially so for the Johnson pick.  And I think those digressions are misguided

Teams dont build for long term success by shoehorning themselves into tiny 3 year ‘windows’. 

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Safe means high floor, connotes low ceiling, yes.  The digressions of the pick all focus on other players available having higher ceilings (higher hockey IQ).  This is especially so for the Johnson pick.  And I think those digressions are misguided

Teams dont build for long term success by shoehorning themselves into tiny 3 year ‘windows’. 

Teams don't build for long term success by passing on better players because they "might" not be able to pay everyone at some mythical future date. 

I re-read that first paragraph 5 times and do not follow. "The digressions of the pick all focus on other players available having higher ceilings (higher hockey IQ)." This sentence specifically. Are you saying at the Cozens pick there were other players a) that have higher ceilings, if so who? And b) higher hockey IQ does not donate a higher ceiling. You can be a very smart player with mediocre skills and a low floor and ceiling. 

Edited by LGR4GM

• spndnchz unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
On 6/25/2019 at 9:06 AM, That Aud Smell said:

Getting caught up here. I can't believe we drafted the next Paul Gaustad with the 7th overall pick.

green arrow laughing GIF

Wet blanket alert: Paul Gaustad would be an upgrade to our current middle-6 centers. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So what do we think of Cozens today? 

He's better than Mittelstadt. 

25 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Another question is ... what do you think?

I think his game should transfer to the NHL because he's very direct and yet there's some subtlety to his game. His skating and shot are nhl ready. I'm somewhat surprised by how well he's measured up but it's only the preseason. I still want him to go back. I want him to be groomed for the 2c role.

23 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

He’s a good one! 

So so if he stays with us this year that means he can be a free agent one year sooner? Is that how that works? I’d rather keep him the extra year when he is in his prime than this year. 

If he stays yes. His 3 year elc would start once he plays his 10th game this season. If you mean UFA status then yes but it wouldn't necessarily matter. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think his game should transfer to the NHL because he's very direct and yet there's some subtlety to his game. His skating and shot are nhl ready. I'm somewhat surprised by how well he's measured up but it's only the preseason. I still want him to go back. I want him to be groomed for the 2c role.

If he stays yes. His 3 year elc would start once he plays his 10th game this season. If you mean UFA status then yes but it wouldn't necessarily matter. 

Given up on Mitts? LOL

I'd like him to go back too, but he's much better than players we are expecting on the roster come Oct. and I think his style and speed would bode well for what we are trying to build here. Against some of our better judgements, I hope he can force managements decision.

33 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

source.gif

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.