Pick #7 Dylan Cozens (C)

Hoss

15 hours ago, shrader said:

Bias implies a subconscious act. If there’s anything to it in the late rounds, it’s not bias  

One can certainly have a conscious bias. It's when the bias is not admitted that it becomes dangerous. 

15 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Yes!  I’m partly glad he picked a CHL player just because it flys in the face of that narrative.  I think the reason for favoring NCAA and Euro prospects in later rounds makes sense.

Well the narrative is certainly accurate then, no? For the most part. I had skepticism until I actually saw him pick a CHL player, but I think most said in the 1st round he'd be open to CHL players. Anyone who said he "hated" the CHL or whatever was obviously way off base. 

But it's not a false narrative, he prefers other leagues in later rounds. I'd guess anything after round 1 it's going to start weighing in considerably. 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, erickompositör72 said:

On the highlights posted on pg 2, I do see nice hands and an incredible shot, in addition to what people have already mentioned.

Oh, and it's Bobby Fischer whose doppelgaenger he is:

bobby-best-medium_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqBhLO

NOW ... I like him even more (referring to the chess savant who saw now, today and tomorrow in chess like no other, and not to the late in life bigot, a tortured victim of his own making).

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Well the narrative is certainly accurate then, no? For the most part. I had skepticism until I actually saw him pick a CHL player, but I think most said in the 1st round he'd be open to CHL players. Anyone who said he "hated" the CHL or whatever was obviously way off base. 

But it's not a false narrative, he prefers other leagues in later rounds. I'd guess anything after round 1 it's going to start weighing in considerably. 

Sure but that’s not what people were saying.  They were not even considering couzens or any CHLer because they would ‘believe he will take a CHL player when they see him’.

14 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

In my mind, everyone after Kakko is basically a game of "pick your preference" and are essentially the same talent-wise through the top-10. Not everyone will agree with that, but I don't think any gaps that are there are large enough to be worth arguing about. With that as my base, I think Cozens brings a potential high end two-way game that is completely absent in the organization at center. He'll never be in the All-Star game due to raw offensive output, but we don't need that now or in the future because we have Jack and (hopefully) Mittelstadt. 

It'll be interesting to see where they slot long term. Seems based on potential that Cozens and Mittelstadt could be a 2C split with minutes depending on match-ups and usage. Maybe Cozens seizes 2C in name but they'd probably be deployed differently. 

11 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Sure but that’s not what people were saying.  They were not even considering couzens or any CHLer because they would ‘believe he will take a CHL player when they see him’.

In fairness, he had taken 0 CHL players. It was always likely that there was potential for one in the first round on any given year, Dahlin was a no brainer so his top pick sample size was just Mittelstadt. 

And in even more fairness, I don't think anyone was considering "Couzens" ? 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

In fairness, he had taken 0 CHL players. It was always likely that there was potential for one in the first round on any given year, Dahlin was a no brainer so his top pick sample size was just Mittelstadt. 

And in even more fairness, I don't think anyone was considering "Couzens" ? 

My auto correct is driving me bonkers today 

texting autocorrect GIF by Scorpion Dagger 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Was reading @Brawndo Scott Wheeler post. It says Cozens and Mitts can challenge each other for ice time. I know we just got him but which one has a higher ceiling? Also, at number seven there there isn’t much chance of him making the team this year right?

Don’t be surprised if one ends up in the wing for the other.  My guess is that Cozens becomes Mitts’ finisher.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Don’t be surprised if one ends up in the wing for the other.  My guess is that Cozens becomes Mitts’ finisher.

Imagine three years from now a second line of:

Mittlestadt - Cozens - Reinhart 

On 6/21/2019 at 9:03 PM, bobs0108 said:

Looks pretty good! I like that he's got size, and he seems pretty smart and quick-thinking. I know virtually nothing about this year's draft class, but this seems like a great pick. Hopefully it makes up for the tough luck in the lottery. 

Keep Skinner and Olloffson with Jack, put Mitts, Sam and Cozens together and work on figuring out third line with ERod, Nylander and OK together as an energy line.  Actually think that works. Checking line of Larrson, Girgenson and Sobotka.  CJ and or Wilson as extras... who am I forgetting.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Keep Skinner and Olloffson with Jack, put Mitts, Sam and Cozens together and work on figuring out third line with ERod, Nylander and OK together as an energy line.  Actually think that works. Checking line of Larrson, Girgenson and Sobotka.  CJ and or Wilson as extras... who am I forgetting.

Sheary 

I think your second line would get eaten alive.

4 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Maybe depends on how much weight Cozens and Mitts ad before September.  We shall see but should be fun to watch.

I also don’t think Cozens makes the team next season. One more year of developing for him before making the big club. Any line combo predictions shouldn’t include him. 

I hope JB grabs a 2nd line center.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.