Pick #7 Dylan Cozens (C)

Hoss

48 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

I'm very happy with this. The guy on NHL net compared him to Eric Staal. I think that's a pretty ideal comp. 

We needed some size as well as offensive talent. He's a great skater, with size and can score. So he has the raw necessities that give him a high ceiling. Early on, he could play some wing with Eichel - probably in year after next. Eventually, in 3 years, he'll have his own line. 

That he is a high character kid is also important - he'll be dedicated to his craft and as he grows into his frame, he'll add another 20 lbs over the next 4-6 years, he'll be a force. When everyone is drafting 18 year olds, you want the raw skills to develop. 

Physicality and offense are something Buffalo has been lacking and so this is a real positive. I think over time, in 2-3 years, you'll see him become an excellent 2-way, 200 foot center. 

Welcome @FrenchConnection44!

Another Eric Staal would be freaking awesome.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

I'm very happy with this. The guy on NHL net compared him to Eric Staal. I think that's a pretty ideal comp. 

We needed some size as well as offensive talent. He's a great skater, with size and can score. So he has the raw necessities that give him a high ceiling. Early on, he could play some wing with Eichel - probably in year after next. Eventually, in 3 years, he'll have his own line. 

That he is a high character kid is also important - he'll be dedicated to his craft and as he grows into his frame, he'll add another 20 lbs over the next 4-6 years, he'll be a force. When everyone is drafting 18 year olds, you want the raw skills to develop. 

Physicality and offense are something Buffalo has been lacking and so this is a real positive. I think over time, in 2-3 years, you'll see him become an excellent 2-way, 200 foot center. 

New name!   Welcome to the board.  Post early and often ...  particularly if you're of the generation who watched 7 - 11 - 14.

• Like (+1) 3

From the Athletic:

[Cozen's mom, Sue Bogle's] visits to see Cozens in Buffalo will include a long run. A prosecutor by trade, she’s a regular on the marathon circuit and wants to add Buffalo to a list that includes Boston and Chicago. Bogle was born in Jamaica to a father who played soccer and cricket. Her mother played field hockey in England. Mike Cozens’ dad was a goalie in Toronto’s junior circuit.

So sports run in Dylan Cozens’ blood. His grandfather used to build ice rinks in the yard, and Mike Cozens followed suit when Dylan turned 3. It started with fallen trees as the boards and grew to pallets as Dylan aged.

“I just can’t thank my husband enough for his work on the outdoor rink,” Bogle said. “It started the passion for it all.”

Listening to Mike Cozens explain the rink, it’s easy to understand why Dylan wanted to be on the ice all the time.

“I like to be out there at 11:30 at night sometimes,” Mike said. “It’s quiet. You’re putting a clean sheet down, and the water just is beautiful. The sky is beautiful with the Northern Lights. It’s very relaxing.”

• Like (+1) 5

44 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Our resident graphic artist can confirm this, but it sure looks like someone took the goathead and tweaked it just enough to not be charged with graphic plagiarism. (But would be easily "convicted" if the charge was ever laid.) Good stuff, Neo.

The nose and mouth are exactly the same. Its like they copied and pasted it.

13 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I don't care about how flashy he is, as long as he puts up numbers.

I didn’t use the word flashy.  That’s not really what I’m talking about.  I’m talking about high quality passes that set up teammates for prime scoring chances.  I don’t see that much of it.  That’s why I question whether he can continue to be a good playmaker at the NHL level.  That’s why I was posing the question “how is he getting these assists?” “Why type of plays are they coming from?”  “Is it projectable to the NHL level?”  It’s an open question for me.  I think it’s something he needs to work on if he is going to be a #1C or very good #2C quality player.

I don’t care if he isn’t flashy.  He doesn’t need to be flashy, just efficient.

Edited by Curtisp5286
  • Like (+1) 1

From Scott Wheeler

Buffalo Sabres

If Alex Turcotte was the first real prize of the first round, Dylan Cozens was a close runner-up. He was one of the three players I debated as the No. 3 prospect in the draft in the back half of the season (alongside Turcotte and Bowen Byram). His ability to play out wide with his speed and length — while still having the presence of mind to make a lot of high-end plays in transition or off the cycle — should make him an excellent top-six centre and impact forward. He’s the perfect fit for the Sabres too, in that they desperately need a 2C to play behind Jack Eichel and he and Casey Mittelstadt can now challenge each other for those minutes. The Sabres did well.

Though I’m a little lower on the Ryan Johnson pick (I felt like he was a late second-rounder instead of a first-rounder), he’s an impressive two-way defenceman who really came into his own offensively in the last third of the season and will have the benefit of time to continue to progress at the University of Minnesota. He won’t wow you, but he can really skate and get the puck moving in transition to avoid spending time in his own zone.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

See, and I was thinking Kylo Ren

0770f3ed87d07a8e8cdfe19b7117de24.jpg

The best acted Star Wars villain (Vader has a better story but acting was at a minimum there).

36 minutes ago, Neo said:

Christina Ricci at Chef’s!

Go on...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Coincidence?  I think not ...  fate, destiny, romance ...

773C924B-EB60-40F2-9C81-B731D608A712.gif

68EC0B45-26EF-477E-8072-27035282EDC2.jpeg

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Our resident graphic artist can confirm this, but it sure looks like someone took the goathead and tweaked it just enough to not be charged with graphic plagiarism. (But would be easily "convicted" if the charge was ever laid.) Good stuff, Neo.

See, this just confirms that the goathead was in the style of a cheesy juniors team.  I always hated that logo.

• Like (+1) 4

https://theathletic.com/1040981/2019/06/21/pronman-2019-nhl-draft-pick-by-pick-breakdown-of-the-first-round/

This has me feeling even better about Cozens. I really like this pick. I’m not posting what Pronman says fully but he raves about Cozens. Says he’s a good skater period and “not just for his size.” Says he’s shoot-first and not an elite playmaker but that he’s capable of getting to that level.

Also adds he might need just one more year at junior before he’s in Buffalo.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

What am I? ?

You don't want me to answer that ?  

I feel you have knowledge of Roch.  Any callup questions go through you and Org

1 hour ago, Weave said:

The guy saying bad words about the owner.

and this ha

21 minutes ago, Hoss said:

https://theathletic.com/1040981/2019/06/21/pronman-2019-nhl-draft-pick-by-pick-breakdown-of-the-first-round/

This has me feeling even better about Cozens. I really like this pick. I’m not posting what Pronman says fully but he raves about Cozens. Says he’s a good skater period and “not just for his size.” Says he’s shoot-first and not an elite playmaker but that he’s capable of getting to that level.

Also adds he might need just one more year at junior before he’s in Buffalo.

In the highlight video posted on the second page, his edge-work on the second goal shown is incredible.

11 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Which “happened” first? Sabres or Mustangs?

I don’t know.   The Mustangs was his Bantam Team.  I’m not sure it was the jersey when he was there.  Just a Google adventure!

Man, does “was” sound grammatically awkward.

Edited by Neo

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Per wikipedia, the Buick LeSabre hit the market in 1959 and the Ford Mustang in '62 and ... I suppose officially in '64 in its realized form. But historically it's really common for junior leagues, colleges, and such to have copycat jerseys and not face anything punitive.

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I’d put a large sum that the Sabres did. Ask anyone who played youth hockey late 90s/early 2000s, they’ll tell you the Sabres jerseys were among the most popular all over the country. Granted, that’s goatheadless, but whatever. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.