Pick #7 Dylan Cozens (C)

Hoss

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I admit that I also wanted Zegras but what are the big issues you have with him?  There are people who study these things for a living ranking Cozens 3rd overall in this draft.  What are they and we missing?

Today's game is a game of skill.   I rate Zegras with higher end skill than Cozens.   I think both will be fine NHL players, but I don't see Cozens filling a top 6 role due to his lack of elite skill.    He's dominating juniors because of his size and speed, but that won't be as effective against grown men and he doesn't have those elite hands to fall back on.

I see him as a replacement for Berglund.   

Zegras, however, I see a lot of Jason Spezza in him.    Has the potential to be a big point producer... Those guys are harder to find.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Awesome.  Perry was great on those early ducks cup teams.  I like that his style seems unique to what the sabres have now.

Yes, I think this is important.  There is literally no one in the Sabres organization, NHL or prospect, like Cozens.

• Like (+1) 2

What are we thinking in terms of development?  Similar to Casey where’s he’s a one and done but this time in the CHL?Does he get a look at all early this season with Sabres if he thrives in training camp?  Or is he going back regardless (as he probably should)?  Only issue with CHL is its sabres or Lethbridge next season right?  Ineligible for Rochester? 

Good thoughts neo.  I made similar points to my buddy.  Buffalo will be a big city to this kid.   Maybe it’s an inferiority complex but I don’t think we have to worry about him holding out to play in New York or something.

• Like (+1) 3

I'm very happy with this. The guy on NHL net compared him to Eric Staal. I think that's a pretty ideal comp. 

We needed some size as well as offensive talent. He's a great skater, with size and can score. So he has the raw necessities that give him a high ceiling. Early on, he could play some wing with Eichel - probably in year after next. Eventually, in 3 years, he'll have his own line. 

That he is a high character kid is also important - he'll be dedicated to his craft and as he grows into his frame, he'll add another 20 lbs over the next 4-6 years, he'll be a force. When everyone is drafting 18 year olds, you want the raw skills to develop. 

Physicality and offense are something Buffalo has been lacking and so this is a real positive. I think over time, in 2-3 years, you'll see him become an excellent 2-way, 200 foot center. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Neo said:

Coincidence?  I think not ...  fate, destiny, romance ...

773C924B-EB60-40F2-9C81-B731D608A712.gif

68EC0B45-26EF-477E-8072-27035282EDC2.jpeg

Our resident graphic artist can confirm this, but it sure looks like someone took the goathead and tweaked it just enough to not be charged with graphic plagiarism. (But would be easily "convicted" if the charge was ever laid.) Good stuff, Neo.

Edited by PASabreFan

15 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Where do people rank him relative to Casey, circa 2017? 

This is a good question.  Sound like very different players but who has more potential?  I have no idea myself but interested to hear.  What say you Randall?

41 minutes ago, Neo said:

For no good reasons other than my own, I love “the kid from the Yukon”.

Like many of life’s great joys, hockey is romance.  God lives in Canada, and He sculpted and painted Whitehorse.  Kids necessarily grow up differently there.  Buffalo will be his Big City.  Bring his mom and dad down for the development camp.  Show them Hockey Heaven, downtown development, fans who watch practices, Niagara on the Lake and Delaware Park.  Watch their eyes saucer and feel their cheeks ache from smiling.

We see and feel, to a great extent, what we allow ourselves to see and feel.  There’s a time and place for meddling owners, incompetent GMs, bad trades, lousy contracts, bizarre usage ....  and the stuff of internet blogs.  There’s also a time for the kid from The Yukon, heading south, to the bright lights and big stage he’s dreamed of and worked for.  I want to feel his entire family’s joy, right now.  I believe I do.

I hope to see him play in two years.  Build an organization and invite talent to join.

From John Vogl’s Article this AM

His Maternal Grandparents live in Burlington, Ontario and his Uncle just moved to Buffalo to start a new job. 

He also was welcomed to the team by Samson and received a phone call from Jack. 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I say nothing, as last night is the first time I've spent more than 30 seconds watching/reading about Cozens

Fair.  If sabrespace were a franchise rakish and liger are head amateur scouts and your probably head of pro scouting.

35 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Where do people rank him relative to Casey, circa 2017? 

Lower ceiling, lower risk.  He seems well equipped for almost any role.  Casey is more top 6 or bust.  Not exactly, but you get the idea.

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

What am I? ?

The guy saying bad words about the owner.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.