Pick #7 Dylan Cozens (C)

Hoss

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Can you elaborate on "the math"?

I'm reading some people compare him to Jeff Carter

Hopefully not in the “party his way out of town” type way and more of the “lead his team to a Stanley Cup” type way. Granted, those things aren’t mutually exclusive, it all depends on the front office. 

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

Hopefully not in the “party his way out of town” type way and more of the “lead his team to a Stanley Cup” type way. Granted, those things aren’t mutually exclusive, it all depends on the front office. 

That's "meth", we're talking about "math".

2 hours ago, ... said:

Explain what's good about this guy.  Why was he your guy?  I know this info is buried in the draft thread...let's start fresh.

In my mind, everyone after Kakko is basically a game of "pick your preference" and are essentially the same talent-wise through the top-10. Not everyone will agree with that, but I don't think any gaps that are there are large enough to be worth arguing about. With that as my base, I think Cozens brings a potential high end two-way game that is completely absent in the organization at center. He'll never be in the All-Star game due to raw offensive output, but we don't need that now or in the future because we have Jack and (hopefully) Mittelstadt. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Fishing with his obviously strong father figure in the Yukon? 

We got ourselves a good ol' canadian boy eh 

This one’s a whole different animal. I doubt that any of us has really ever stopped to think what they typical life in the Yukon is like. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

In my mind, everyone after Kakko is basically a game of "pick your preference" and are essentially the same talent-wise through the top-10. Not everyone will agree with that, but I don't think any gaps that are there are large enough to be worth arguing about. With that as my base, I think Cozens brings a potential high end two-way game that is completely absent in the organization at center. He'll never be in the All-Star game due to raw offensive output, but we don't need that now or in the future because we have Jack and (hopefully) Mittelstadt. 

I’ve really come around lately to the thinking that the vast majority of this is about player development as opposed to talent evaluation. You’ve got your handful of elite draftees, but beyond that, it’s the right teams/coaches who develop those later picks. 

Its a fun one because good luck proving whatever is true. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm ok with this.  Having another center in the pipeline is never bad.  But I do wonder whether he will be an NHL regular. (Especially because when you google his name, you get a picture of some baseball player who looks exactly like the guy from Eastbound and Down.)

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Eleven said:

I'm ok with this.  Having another center in the pipeline is never bad.  But I do wonder whether he will be an NHL regular. (Especially because when you google his name, you get a picture of some baseball player who looks exactly like the guy from Eastbound and Down.)

If Eleven ran a team's drafts on his quirky and interesting justification process, he'd probably be at least as successful as the average NHL GM 

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

If Eleven ran a team's drafts on his quirky and interesting justification process, he'd probably be at least as successful as the average NHL GM 

To be fair, if any one of us ran a draft, she or he would probably be at least as successful as the average GM.

I know we focus on Sabres stinkers here, as we should, but wow, there is a wonderful world of GMs screwing up out there.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, shrader said:

This one’s a whole different animal. I doubt that any of us has really ever stopped to think what they typical life in the Yukon is like. 

I've been there,… in the winter,… to play hockey. 

It's kinda like Colden.

It's not that special. He's just really good.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I want to know why they picked him instead of Zegras... who has the skill set to be a difference maker in today's game.  Cozens seems more of a throwback type player.

Edited by pi2000

Just now, pi2000 said:

I want to know why they picked him instead of Zegras... who has the skill set for today's game.

I admit that I also wanted Zegras but what are the big issues you have with him?  There are people who study these things for a living ranking Cozens 3rd overall in this draft.  What are they and we missing?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.