Pick #7 Dylan Cozens (C)

Hoss

2 minutes ago, ... said:

If for nothing else, he's a monster-sized center.  If all of the positive attributes pan out, he'll be a hell of a good pick for the Sabres.

He can skate and shoot. He's got a good motor. He's not as flashy as some other options. 

Read up on Cozens and don't take Button at his word on this broadcast. There's more skill there than I think he gets credit for. 

Just now, inkman said:

So liger approves?

I don't disapprove. 

I'm not gonna say Cozens will be the best player picked between 7 and 17 but he's got all the tools to be. 

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

This guy has Corey Perry potential but with much better speed.  

Perry had 25g 53a his draft year.  Cozens 34g 50a this past season

More Getzlaf because of size and position, ? does he have either guy's nastiness?

GA gotta change avatar, Phil is gone... make peace with it.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

So the Botterill CHL myth just died a little. Later rounds though, I think he has a bias. 

No question.  He thinks that the NCAA and Europe are better development models then the CHL add that to more time to sign them and you have a very reasonable bias.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

So the Botterill CHL myth just died a little. Later rounds though, I think he has a bias. 

Not sure if wanting Zegras is why this pick is disappointing or if it's that ridiculous meme dying. 

Probably a little of both.

Hopefully this kid is what Botterill thinks he is.

1. Buffalo Sabres: Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge-WHL

Feb. 9, 2001 | 6-foot-3 | 185 pounds

Cozens is a very well-rounded prospect. For the past two seasons in the WHL and in international play, he consistently impressed. Cozens measures in at 6-foot-3 and is a very good skater, not just for his size, but overall. That combination alone makes him a handful to deal with when a guy that size comes barreling through the neutral zone. He doesn’t just skate fast, he consistently pushes the pace and plays the game hard. Cozens is not going to do a fancy between the legs kind of play, but he gets by defenders with dekes at full speed, makes skilled plays to the net and can make plays in small areas. He’s not a dynamic playmaker, but he’ll have the odd play that will hit that level and his vision can surprise defenders. He has a shoot-first mentality and, for Lethbridge, would often be the team’s shot off the flank on the man advantage. Cozens can be deployed in any situation and competes hard every shift with a bit of an edge to his game without taking a ton of penalties.

Lethbridge Hurricanes coach Brent Kisio on Cozens: “He’s a difference maker. He’s very fast and utilizes his speed very well. His playmaking abilities are exceptional. He’s a reliable two-way player.”

Team Fit: In Cozens, the Sabres get a potential high-end power forward who can bring a unique blend of speed, size, compete and skill to an NHL team. He’s a true top prospect, was my best player available at that spot and provides something unique to that organization they don’t have in their current forward group. He’s close to NHL ready and might just need one more year of junior.

Pronman’s Write Up 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

More Getzlaf because of size and position, ? does he have either guy's nastiness?

GA gotta change avatar, Phil is gone... make peace with it.

Getzlaf was a pass first player like Zegras.  Cozens is a gifted passer, but likes to score by driving to the net.

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Read up on Cozens and don't take Button at his word on this broadcast. There's more skill there than I think he gets credit for. 

I don't disapprove. 

I'm not gonna say Cozens will be the best player picked between 7 and 17 but he's got all the tools to be. 

He has good skills, but not as much as Turcotte, Dach, Zegras, Newhook.  His skills shouldn’t be downplayed though.  Only thing I really question is his ability to be a playmaker.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

Bias implies a subconscious act. If there’s anything to it in the late rounds, it’s not bias  

Does it? Honestly acting because you're right, it is a conscience act. 

Just now, Curtisp5286 said:

He has good skills, but not as much as Turcotte, Dach, Zegras, Newhook.  His skills shouldn’t be downplayed though.  Only thing I really question is his ability to be a playmaker.

I'd argue he shoots better than everyone not named Turcotte in that list. 

11 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

We need scorers, but his WHL coach calls his playmaking skills exceptional.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes!  I’m partly glad he picked a CHL player just because it flys in the face of that narrative.  I think the reason for favoring NCAA and Euro prospects in later rounds makes sense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.