New Replay Rules

Eleven

--Coaches now have *unlimited* video challenges for goaltender interference, offside, and "missed calls in the offensive zone that lead to goals" (think hand passes and pucks that hit netting).

--First incorrect challenge is a delay-of-game minor.  Second incorrect challenge, a double minor.

--On-ice officials will review major and match penalties to make sure they are warranted.

--Double minors for high sticking will be reviewed to ensure that it indeed was the opponent's stick that made contact.

Per Scott Burnside of The Athletic.

This should make games go smoothly...

42 minutes ago, Eleven said:

--Coaches now have *unlimited* video challenges for goaltender interference, offside, and "missed calls in the offensive zone that lead to goals" (think hand passes and pucks that hit netting).

--First incorrect challenge is a delay-of-game minor.  Second incorrect challenge, a double minor.

--On-ice officials will review major and match penalties to make sure they are warranted.

--Double minors for high sticking will be reviewed to ensure that it indeed was the opponent's stick that made contact.

I do think the fear of a penalty will make coaches think about challenging.  Losing a timeout, usually, doesn't matter all that much.  The double-minor will really hurt.  If they ruled that the double minor was served as simultaneous minors it would be a 5-3 and I think that would be great.  Let the opposite team choose.  5-4 for 4 or 5-3 for two. 

The sad truth is that they have to do this.  They can't choose to ignore the video evidence because the vast majority of fans won't ignore it.  Fans don't let the refs off the hook for making a mistake.  If the NHL were to do so, the fans would hate on the NHL and they'd lose business.

I was reading an article on ESPN yesterday talking about how everyone with cell phones are recording youth sports games and now using their video to get in the fact of officials in youth sports.  They feel even more emboldened than they did before.  If they'll do it in youth sports they will sure as heckfire go ballistic on professional officials.

Edited by LTS
added the youth sports paragraph

9 minutes ago, LTS said:

I do think the fear of a penalty will make coaches think about challenging.  Losing a timeout, usually, doesn't matter all that much.  The double-minor will really hurt.  If they ruled that the double minor was served as simultaneous minors it would be a 5-3 and I think that would be great.  Let the opposite team choose.  5-4 for 4 or 5-3 for two. 

The sad truth is that they have to do this.  They can't choose to ignore the video evidence because the vast majority of fans won't ignore it.  Fans don't let the refs off the hook for making a mistake.  If the NHL were to do so, the fans would hate on the NHL and they'd lose business.

I was reading an article on ESPN yesterday talking about how everyone with cell phones are recording youth sports games and now using their video to get in the fact of officials in youth sports.  They feel even more emboldened than they did before. If they'll do it in youth sports they will sure as heckfire go ballistic on professional officials.

As I'm sure you're aware, USAHockey made it a penalty with the 15-17 Rulebook for a coach to even try to show the ref video evidence that the ref screwed up a call.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

As I'm sure you're aware, USAHockey made it a penalty with the 15-17 Rulebook for a coach to even try to show the ref video evidence that the ref screwed up a call.

Parents...  parents...  the ungodly stupid parents.  They are the problem.  Coaches can at least be penalized.  Parents are untouchable.  It's getting sad.  Did you know USA Hockey has now also made it illegal for players to bang their sticks on the boards?  So.. you know. USA Hockey!  WOOOO

I video all my kid's hockey games, but it's not to question officials.  It's because sometimes some really stupid stuff happens and if there's evidence it will be helpful.  

1 minute ago, LTS said:

Parents...  parents...  the ungodly stupid parents.  They are the problem.  Coaches can at least be penalized.  Parents are untouchable.  It's getting sad.  Did you know USA Hockey has now also made it illegal for players to bang their sticks on the boards?  So.. you know. USA Hockey!  WOOOO

I video all my kid's hockey games, but it's not to question officials.  It's because sometimes some really stupid stuff happens and if there's evidence it will be helpful.  

I know you were referring to parents; just pointing out to others here that don't/ haven't coached that refs getting accosted with videos was a great enough scourge that USAH felt a need to address at least a portion of it.

My wife used to video all our kids' hockey games as she was less nervous watching the game if she was actually doing something during the game.  I probably watched every game my kids played in that I'd coached at least 3 times (once live & then twice more).  Very useful tool in helping to evaluate the play - especially in those majority of rinks where the fans sit on the opposite side from the benches.

But, seriously, banging the stick on the boards is officially a penalty & not something the refs could hold over you as a potential unsportsmanlike infraction should it continue unabated?  Progress. <_<

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

These are good changes, particularly the bolded. My view is, you should be able to review everything, or nothing. I'm good with either. 

9 hours ago, LTS said:

We had an issue one game this year with parents from another team and umpires. I made a point of it to speak with both umpires after the game and make sure they were comfortable and knew how essential and appreciated they were. I also followed the game up with an email to the parents of my team reminding them that kind of behavior will not be tolerated on a team of mine and if I saw it they would be removed from the complex by whatever means needed and if it came to it, they would potentially be banned and their child removed from the team. Leagues need to give more coaches leeway in this manner (thankfully I had a very receptive director) as well as take a much greater role in the policing of parents. It’s about the kids having a good time, coaches are the primary facilitator of that. I have no time for bs from parents and have an incredible amount of respect for those who help make the game happen. 

When I coached I always let parents know that their bad examples would be the burden of their children.

In other words, shut up and enjoy the game.  if you want to make a scene and be a problem you can explain to your child why your actions were keeping them from playing.

Of course, I said many other things as well and generally never had a problem.  I have disagreed with officials, but in the end I've never coached a game where scholarships or paychecks were on the line.  Just not that important.

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

When I coached I always let parents know that their bad examples would be the burden of their children.

In other words, shut up and enjoy the game.  if you want to make a scene and be a problem you can explain to your child why your actions were keeping them from playing.

Of course, I said many other things as well and generally never had a problem.  I have disagreed with officials, but in the end I've never coached a game where scholarships or paychecks were on the line.  Just not that important.

Gezz. Soccer is worse than hockey for”parent” crap

Just now, spndnchz said:

I suppose.  I think they are all equally bad.  The horror stories are everywhere.  Soccer always intrigued me.  It's not like US born soccer players ever achieve much of anything in the world, especially compared to basketball, baseball, football, and hockey.  But parents go off on it just the same.

20 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

I remember getting a red card in a game.  Followed very shortly by my father (asst. coach) getting a red card because he was angry that I got a red card.  

We both were in a LOT of trouble with my mother when we got home about an hour before we were expected.

(FWIW, the opponent in my situation also got tossed out, and all we were doing was elbowing each other and joking around; we were friendly.)

Edited by Eleven

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

I remember getting a red card in a game.  Followed very shortly by my father (asst. coach) getting a red card because he was angry that I got a red card.  

We both were in a LOT of trouble with my mother when we got home about an hour before we were expected.

(FWIW, the opponent in my situation also got tossed out, and all we were doing was elbowing each other and joking around; we were friendly.)

Glad to see a ref take such a slight to what sounds like an absolutely disgusting display of tummy sticks. 

26 minutes ago, LTS said:

I suppose.  I think they are all equally bad.  The horror stories are everywhere.  Soccer always intrigued me.  It's not like US born soccer players ever achieve much of anything in the world, especially compared to basketball, baseball, football, and hockey.  But parents go off on it just the same.

And news that a 7 yo baseball game had parents slugging the 13 o ref?

11 hours ago, #freejame said:

Just read and article and watched the video. It’s absolutely disgusting, but I didn’t see anyone attack the umpire.  

Used to be on the board for the baseball league in another town and we used 14/15 year olds for some of the 8U/10U games.  The parents would chew them up.  We had to police it heavily.  It's ridiculous.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.